Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I just got my pair of Brentano's spectators. They fit very well and look pretty good (not too cheap even tho they were $84). Others on the board have bought there and seem happy with them. The price is right that's for sure and spectators arent everyday shoes.

If had lots of extra scratch, I'd buy the AE's in a heartbeat!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Yeah, based on some recommendations I read in the main spectator thread, I also nabbed a pair of Brentano specs the other day; waiting for them to arrive in a few days. Can't wait. I'll add my $0.02 when they arrive, but I'm pretty optimistic. :)

-Tofu

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Brentano's

I have a pair of those- the brown and white spectators. When did they start making thin soles? That actually sounds kinda nice.
The brown n white's look good and luckily I found a matching belt at Wal-Mart! That's one advantage to buying modern-day retro items; they come from the same materials as other products on the market.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Okay, the Brentano shoes line looks promising. I couldn't find wide sizes, which I need ( I wear a wide 10 1/2) but they are nice shoes for the price.
I appreciate you folks bringing them to my attention.

If you own a pair of the Botany 500 spectators from Blair.com, please, post your review of them here, good, bad, whatever.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
No, wanted a product-specific thread that would not get lost in the hundreds of spectator comments already in here. That was the point, product specific.

Doing this kills the point of the thread.

Thanks anyway, though.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spatterdash said:
No, wanted a product-specific thread that would not get lost in the hundreds of spectator comments already in here. That was the point, product specific.

Doing this kills the point of the thread.

Thanks anyway, though.
Lots of product specific stuff in here and all those interested in Spectators check this thread regularly. This has been done many times in the past.

Specs are getting more and more popular. They are in every department store now: Bloomingdale's, Neiman, Nordstrom. I saw a nice pair of Church's though they were pricy. Some other brands were less.

I like Alfred Sargeant, but no wides I am afraid.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Well, now that my thread was merged with this monster, I see no specific comments about Botany 500 spectators like I requested. Lost in the crowd.

Moderators, if I want feedback on a particular aspect of a popular topic, how do I get that without this happening to me? Is there a method you prefer other than the New Topic thread button? Is there some technique you prefer I use to solicite feedback apart from the message board, like say the Private Messages?
Please, don't take this wrong. I know I'm a guest here, like most posters, so I want to do things your way.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I'm with the bartenders on this. Part of their job is to make sure that there aren't proliferating threads on essentially the same topics. I wish this was done consistently at AAAC and SF. Thanks, Hemingway Jones!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Give it time. Maybe no one knows the answer to your question. Maybe no one has experience with them.

Allen Edmonds and J & M are the favorites around here.

If you're "Looking for Spectators" as the thread is so aptly named; this is the place to post it. All answers in one spot.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've no direct experience with the Botany shoes, but the styling is nice and the reviews on the website are positive. At that price I'd have to question the durability and longevity. It depends on what you're after. I think if you showed patience that you could turn up some quality spectators through an Allen Edmonds outlet or on ebay for less than full retail. AE discontinued a spectator from just last year (can't recall the model name, not the Broadstreet), so there are likely some of them floating around, or will be.

I wanted a pair of specs for years, particularly brown with white suede. I finally found them last year, Aldens on clearance. I'm far happier with these than I would have been with a cheaper pair. If you're just after some specs to fill a hole in the short term the Botany may be the way to go. If you get them please give us a review here.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Spatterdash said:
Okay, the Brentano shoes line looks promising. I couldn't find wide sizes, which I need ( I wear a wide 10 1/2) but they are nice shoes for the price.

Only the black and white specs come in wide from Brentano. It sucks 'cause I need wide too and cheaper shoes usually do not come in anything but medium.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Brian, it's odd that the cheapo Botany 500's come in wide and the next dependable company I can find that offer the same sizing options is...Allen Edmonds.

I will buy the botanys, and I'll post a review, Alan. Gotta admit though, if the year is good to us, the wife says she'd love to see me in a pair of the AE McClain - bourbon and bone, I think.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spatterdash said:
I will buy the botanys, and I'll post a review, Alan. Gotta admit though, if the year is good to us, the wife says she'd love to see me in a pair of the AE McClain - bourbon and bone, I think.

May your year be blessed!

6218-401080-d.jpg

(My wife, on the other hand, would likely love to see me clean out my shoe closet! :eek: )

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Review of shoes- sorry, no Botany 500's though

I have a moment, so I'll actually type in complete sentences! :eusa_clap
I have a pair of Stacy Adams "Madison" shoes, as well as the Brentano spectators.
Both are decent shoes- nice shape, non-slip sole, you know, a shoe. Personally my knees are very sensitive, so anything with a hard leather sole tends to "pinch" after a few hours.
The one is, while the Stacy Adams did have a fake look to the leather finish (until I accidentally stripped them and then redyed them), I like them because they are slim. Dress shoes tend to be "low profile"- thin sole (height), sole is contoured to the shoe shape, etc. Just look at Doc Marten wingtips- clearly they are NOT a dress shoe!
The Brentano's look great, and I love the colors. Plus the price is totally feasible. However, they have a wider "footprint" due to the wider sole. They also do tend to have a slightly "clunky" appearance; bigger toe area, heavier heel, etc. I think they probably look somewhere in between a true dress shoe and a "Dressed up" casual or work shoe. I am very curious to see their newer "thin sole" variation.
So, both are a nice addition to your wardrobe, but neither are a trophy piece. Like the Allen Edmonds posted above. Dang those are sharp!! :eek:

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I love this thread!!!

Let's kick it up a notch!

Anyone have pictures of golden age celebs in spectators?

Post 'em if you got 'em!

Look to the left of this post to see mine.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
My problem is that I don't care so much for the Brentano look, where there's a band of black around the bottom of the shoe. I love the Edmonds, where there are three separate colored panels. I'd love to have the brown/white ones that are on the discontinued list right now, but no wides. :eusa_doh: I also want the wingtip. *sigh* Guess I better start saving.

Will

Staredge

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
May your year be blessed!

6218-401080-d.jpg

(My wife, on the other hand, would likely love to see me clean out my shoe closet! :eek: )

I want these shoes SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!

(I've spent way too much time thinking about & looking at shoes. I'm turning into such a girl lol Even my wife says she doesn't spend that much time looking at them :eek: )

Will

***edit*** Oooo Zappos has them in wide!!!!!!! (more than I can afford right now though) Maybe the Broadstreet. Little less, but only in black. Still......they are nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe