Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someone got that scarce GREEN WHIPPET

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ah the color of envy!:D Congratulations Jimmy!! If it is anywhere near what Feraud's Whippet looks like you'll have a very admireable hat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I can't wait to see the pics of it when you get it.:)

Cheers!

Dan

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Yup, that's a beaut and rare indeed. I have 2 green hats and they both looked gray from the pics when I bought them. I got a surprise when they came and they were green. It amazes me that this one showed up as green as it did.

fedoralover

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vintage green fedoras are a trip. They were even made in emerald green. And check out the color of this one:

hatsetc019.jpg

hatsetc018.jpg

hatsetc017.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! That is a lovely green hat.:eusa_clap
There is a Borsalino that Douglas has that is just stunning. It isn't in super shape but it is wearable & looks great when worn.

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations JtL. You are going to look great. I love green hats.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have no idea what the outcome will be (other than Art-tastic) but, I recently sent Art an emerald green Borsalino hat body. I am also quite tempted by somthing in the same green as his Trackside...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
Ah the color of envy!:D Congratulations Jimmy!!

Thanks, Dan -- and to everyone else for the congrats!

Feraud said:
It makes me wonder how popular certain color hats were.
Either they did not sell well and discontinued after a season or they were appreciated and worn to pieces. I rarely see non typical color fedoras in a 2+ brim length.

I think that this is really interesting. I just acquired a 1940 Stetson Playboy Ad [which I will post soon] that states that the Playboy was available in 37 colors -- 37 colors!!! :eek: So -- where did they all go? I agree, Feraud, it seems as if it is very rare that one sees the more unique colors. It probably makes sense that these colors were produced in fewer quantities, but it is surprising that they do not surface more often.

Baron Kurtz said:
I'll be interested to see the actual shade of this Whippet.

Opening the box when it comes is definitely going to be interesting. I'm thinking the hat may match Feraud's lid -- but, given the different shades of green in the Stetson repertoire, who knows? :)

Cheers,
JtL

nulty

One of the Regulars
"I think that this is really interesting. I just acquired a 1940 Stetson Playboy Ad [which I will post soon] that states that the Playboy was available in 37 colors -- 37 colors!!! So -- where did they all go? I agree, Feraud, it seems as if it is very rare that one sees the more unique colors. It probably makes sense that these colors were produced in fewer quantities, but it is surprising that they do not surface more often."

Were they selling hats or selling paint fer cryin out loud...?

It makes you wonder if what we would consider , off colors, were actually more popular that we think and were just worn out.....Granted though not many show up at all.

When you see a brown grey or black show up in NOS condition you know the original owner either didn't wear hats, kept the one for occasions and wore something else or had several and just didn't wear the one that made it through the ages.........

Maybe he was fuschia fan or a taupe type........:eusa_doh:

With all that old B&W film who's to know?

Great hat Jimmy....you're in the zone...

barrowjh

One Too Many
Ok, I wanna post my greenies - First is a Borsalino in 'ninfea' (translates to water lilly) green:

090107006-1.jpg

second is a Barbiso that is a 'kelly' green, but the ribbon sucked me in . . .

090107004.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm going to write down my sealed bet on this just-sold green whippet and state my belief that it is GREEN. Not a sort of Lovat or olive, but St. Patrick's Day GREEN. I hope it is - as that makes it that much more desirable IMO. You have to remember that in the late 40's - early 50's there was this particular family of green shades that was hugely popular on many decorative objects. So I put a buck on it being not so gray...

olds5401b.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Ok, I wanna post my greenies - First is a Borsalino in 'ninfea' (translates to water lilly) green:

090107006-1.jpg

second is a Barbiso that is a 'kelly' green, but the ribbon sucked me in . . .

090107004.jpg

:eusa_clap Those are both BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust