Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someday I'll copy that suit (dress, skirt, blouse)...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
She had fabulous outfits in all the films, but especially the evening dresses - oooooo, I love them.

I think the feathers are sewn together in a strip and then applied to the bodice. You'd have to whip stitch them on, I guess. What a lot of work!

Miss Sis said:
Oh gosh, I'd love any number of Ginger Rogers dresses from her 30s movies, but ESPECIALLY this one:

tophatfeatherdress2.jpg

I have loved this dress since I first saw Top Hat (still my favourite Fred and Ginger film), although I would have it in a different colour to the original pale blue, perhaps eau de nile green.

In Ginger's autobiography she tells the story of how Fred hated that dress because the feathers would fly off in his face.lol
He nicknamed her "Feathers" and gave her a little feather charm for her charm bracelet.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
In Ginger's autobiography she tells the story of how Fred hated that dress because the feathers would fly off in his face.lol
He nicknamed her "Feathers" and gave her a little feather charm for her charm bracelet.

If you watch the dance scene carefully, you can see the feathers floating in the air around Fred & Ginger as they dance.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I have a whole collection too. I have pictures of actual dresses and of patterns that I didn't get for whatever reason. Here are two of my favorites:

mccalls3695.jpg

This is a McCall's pattern that I don't know the number of. I just love the princess lines and shoulder bows. I think this shape was made for me!
berrydress.jpg

And how can you resist bead work berries on this baby??

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, Wow! That is adorable! Was it on ebay--if so, do you remember what it sold for?

It was on ebay. I think I've had that picture well over a year, so I really don't remember what it went for, other than more than I could afford.. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Okay, both of these outfits recently sold on ebay. There is no way in the world I would ever fit into either of them which eases the pain slightly but, oh boy do they give me the "wants". Anybody here get either of them? I'd like to know they found good homes.

First up, a silk Lilli Ann jacket (predictible, aren't I?). $168 and I would have paid that in a heartbeat. Look at that fabric--the color, the texture. The corset effect of the fitted waist. The diagonal buttonholes. Did I mention the color?

plil3.jpg

plil5.jpg

And THIS makes me whimper. I need this outfit. Now. $305 and a tiny size.

DSC_0113_edited.jpg

DSC_0080_edited.jpg

DSC_0137_edited.jpg

DSC_0165_edited.jpg

lonestarcasie

New in Town
On the brown suit...

imoldfashioned said:
Okay, both of these outfits recently sold on ebay. There is no way in the world I would ever fit into either of them which eases the pain slightly but, oh boy do they give me the "wants". Anybody here get either of them? I'd like to know they found good homes.

First up, a silk Lilli Ann jacket (predictible, aren't I?). $168 and I would have paid that in a heartbeat. Look at that fabric--the color, the texture. The corset effect of the fitted waist. The diagonal buttonholes. Did I mention the color?

plil3.jpg

plil5.jpg

And THIS makes me whimper. I need this outfit. Now. $305 and a tiny size.

DSC_0113_edited.jpg

DSC_0080_edited.jpg

DSC_0137_edited.jpg

DSC_0165_edited.jpg

I see this sellers stuff all the time on ebay and it often catches my eye. Where does she find all the pristine and gorgeous vintage she sells. Is it magic?;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can have that dress!

Miss Sis said:
Oh gosh, I'd love any number of Ginger Rogers dresses from her 30s movies, but ESPECIALLY this one:

tophatfeatherdress2.jpg

I have loved this dress since I first saw Top Hat (still my favourite Fred and Ginger film), although I would have it in a different colour to the original pale blue, perhaps eau de nile green.
It won't be cheap, but I have a friend who has the pattern and has made the dress. Gorgeous! PM me for her contact info.

lyburnum

Practically Family
The only item I've ever really wanted to copy is the dress my Grandma wore to a dance in the 60s. Apparently the top fabric was peacock blue. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. I wish she'd kept the dresses she used to make!

grandma001qf0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe