Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Some Enchanted Evening. . . "

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I already read it this morning. South Pacific is definitely not my favorite R&H musical (I think it's more tied to its time than their other shows, and speaks to the WWII generation in ways that we can't fully appreciate), but wow, that's one heckuva rave review...

I will say that the Carnegie Hall concert version that's been making the rounds on PBS for the last couple of years began to change my mind - and I find Brian Stokes Mitchell's rendition of "This Nearly Was Mine" incredibly moving...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In 1961 at Chautauqua Institution the Opera Company did SP, with George Gaines (of Police Academy and Punky Brewster fame) as Emile De Beque, and Estelle Parsons as Nellie Forbush. What a production. I was hooked for life.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
About two or three (can't recall) years ago my family took my grandparents to see South Pacific at a local dinner theatre for their sixtieth anniversary. It was a wonderful performance!

As one person mentioned it was definitely a period oriented musical, especially for the WWII generation. Being "on the in", so to say on this generation, I completely got it!

I was definitely born in the wrong decade!

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Is it true that the only remotely French actor to play Emile de Becque was Robert Goulet?
True. And he made a very fine Emile de Becque along with Barbara Eden as his Nellie Forbush. It's sad that most folks remember Goulet only as a second-rate Vegas lounger and forget that he had a gifted and powerful voice. He actually did the R & H score justice. Seeing Goulet together with Eden was "Some Enchanted Evening". Wait a sec, I was just a little guy back then and saw the matinee.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Prairie Dog said:
True. And he made a very fine Emile de Becque along with Barbara Eden as his Nellie Forbush. It's sad that most folks remember Goulet only as a second-rate Vegas lounger and forget that he had a gifted and powerful voice. He actually did the R & H score justice.
Oh, absolutely. Anyone who doubts it should hear his rendition of "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot. Breathtaking...

Edward

Bartender
I have a soft spot for that show as back in 1992, at the age of 18, I played Captain Brackett in our school production. Now there's a role I'd like to revisit. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld