Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So. We having this revival or what?

Siirous

One of the Regulars
The Frontline of Hat Wearing

I thought I'd throw in my reports from the frontline of ballcap wearing: The College Campus. At UCF I would estimate roughly 3/4 people wear a ballcap. In a school with 42,000 people I saw 1 other person with a fedora in 3 years. It was just a wool but he said he really like fedora's and I gave him my card with the fedora lounge web URL written on the back.

When I was in Gainesville at UF last weekend, I was at a large party I was wearing my black vintage stetson. I saw 1 person with a tweed and another with a wool. They noticed my hat and I took it off, showed them quality liner, sweatbands and felt. They were really interested and I had them write down the fedora lounge URL, and told them why fur was better than wool and blathered on for about 45 minutes about various hat related things.

I'm doing what I can but I don't see much change. If I can get 12 other students on campus we can form a Fedora Club :cool2:

Rob

novalis

New in Town
On a recent flight across the country (with one stopover), I saw at least one passenger on each segment of my flight carrying or wearing a fedora. I also saw one fellow at O'Hare walking up to the gate wearing a fedora.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
A breakthrough here: Today my wife told me she thought I looked quite nice in my Yorkshire flat cap. Saw a stetston! Yes a flipping cowboy hat remeniscent of the kind worn in Apocolypse down by the crazy colonel, at my local supermarket plus two guys in fedoras within half an hour of entering the town centre. Add to that one guy in a greek fishermans cap and numerous in caps of the other than baseball cap variety. Then at work I was told of a shop in the town centre that has just started to stock proper felt fedoras as "theres a bit of a revival happening."

:cheers1: I knew that eventually, slowly but surely, fashion would start swinging in the opposite direction to the extreme scruff look that it has been heading in for the last couple of decades. Also I went to buy a 3/4 length coat and whilst paying for it saw a display of a number of wool fedoras, the usual blue and brown variety. I reckon next year will see the revival continue and I predict the next ten or so years will become smarter year on year. Having said that, in twenty years we will be extreme scruff again.

K.D. Lightner said:
About five years later, the trend will hit the working class, who will probably continue to buy cheaper hats. At Walmart.

Nooooooooooo!:eek: Not Walmart hats. They will probably have logos on the side of the crown and something crazy in the place of the ribbon. Geez, I just can't imagine having to look at Jack and the Beanstalk looking hats. EWW!:p
There is a resurgance here in my area. I went to a restaurant and saw an older guy come into the bar with one on. (You would think he would know better than walk in there with it on and greet his ladyfriends but that's another story.) Hat wearers are around here and vintage hats at sales of any kind disappear fast. :cry: I see one on someone at least once a day---and no I am not looking in the mirror. :p
As Homer says: "Mmmmmmm hats." :D

Regards to all,

J

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I see a picture of the Long Beach CA city council guys in the newspaper and one out of 6 has a fedora I figure it's getting just a bit more mainstream.:cool:

jeboat

One of the Regulars
New trend?

I watched a band on PBS last night and three guys wore fedoras during the performance. Less importantly, one of them wore a watch cap pulled down to here and looked absolutely goofy.

As with all style trends, I believe the younger folks will either pick up the fedora wearing or there will still be we, the minority doing our thing.

I don't care, I just love my hats!

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

MJL

One of the Regulars
Siirous said:
I thought I'd throw in my reports from the frontline of ballcap wearing: The College Campus. At UCF I would estimate roughly 3/4 people wear a ballcap. In a school with 42,000 people I saw 1 other person with a fedora in 3 years. It was just a wool but he said he really like fedora's and I gave him my card with the fedora lounge web URL written on the back.

When I was in Gainesville at UF last weekend, I was at a large party I was wearing my black vintage stetson. I saw 1 person with a tweed and another with a wool. They noticed my hat and I took it off, showed them quality liner, sweatbands and felt. They were really interested and I had them write down the fedora lounge URL, and told them why fur was better than wool and blathered on for about 45 minutes about various hat related things.

I'm doing what I can but I don't see much change. If I can get 12 other students on campus we can form a Fedora Club :cool2:

Rob

Rob,
I was in Lakeland last weekend for the huge gunshow there. I wore my Stetson Temple fedora and got much positive feedback. I have kin in Central Florida so I am in the Orlando area all the time wearing my Fedoras. I agree, Florida is pretty much bereft of Fedora wearers. I am THE only one to wear a Fedora in my area of Homestead, that I am aware of.

jamespowers said:
Nooooooooooo!:eek: Not Walmart hats. They will probably have logos on the side of the crown and something crazy in the place of the ribbon.
If it comes from Walmat it will come from China OR be made out of the same plastic they make Astro Turf or Plastic Milk Bottles out of here.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
MJL said:
Rob,
I was in Lakeland last weekend for the huge gunshow there. I wore my Stetson Temple fedora and got much positive feedback. I have kin in Central Florida so I am in the Orlando area all the time wearing my Fedoras. I agree, Florida is pretty much bereft of Fedora wearers. I am THE only one to wear a Fedora in my area of Homestead, that I am aware of.

MJL,

I'm pretty sure that everyone in the state that wears a fedora is a member here! I always let people try on my hat if I ask, trying to get more fedora's to show up around town. The saddest response I get is, "Well, I already bought one from Target and I don't like it very much". Then I show them what a real felt feels like and let them hold it and show them the liner and they become more interested, just not enough to go out and find a real lid. It's all about planting the seeds in their head though.

Sincerely,
Rob

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Well I was on a little trip into London today, spotted 2 brown and one black fedoras, teardrop crowns and wide enough brims not to be called trilbys.

Each was worn with a long wool coat.

When I was in London last April, I counted probably 3 or 4 fedoras on a few businessman-type folk. They were all gray or black and trilby-like: slightly tapered, 2" brims.
It's like the stuff you see from Christie's or Lock & Co. at Harrod's.

ray

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Thats exactly the look I generally go for at work. Long wool coat and 2" brim grey fedora. Initially feels a tad affected but I think thats in my head only:)

WEEGEE

Practically Family
GREY FEDORA LONG BLACK COAT

I just went to the corner store like that...no suit or tie...black dress shirt and

black jeans...the shop keeper a nice guy from India...always looks at me

strange...today he was more intent on his stare toward the hat...( very

Bogart with a lean to the right) i asked if he liked the hat...he laughed and

said "American Gangster".... oh well.

I do find my friends from India like to dress well....designer labels...not

classic in any sense...don't wear hats ....but like mine.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Why do people just find the need to stare, or even say anything at all. I cant work it out. Why are folk so obsessed with hats.

Jay

Practically Family
Maybe they're confused that there are people who don't enjoy being rained on or have the sun in their eyes and want to keep warm or cool and look sharp all at the same time. I still can't see how people hate wearing hats. One of the worst feelings in the world is having raindrops hit the back of my neck. I throw a hat and the problems solved.

Out of the Ordinary

There are a lot of people that are only capable of leading self limiting, ordinary lives, and anything out of the ordinary is disdaned. This is along the lines of what is called "Sour Grapes" from an Aesop's Fable. If you have never read Asop's Fables you really should as it shows how the driving force in peoples lives, what people want and how they treat others, has not changed.

Regards

Feraud

Bartender
Not sure if this fedora thing is a revival. I see it more as a small, interested group that wear hats.

Hat wearing will never be what it was. If it does gain popualarity I think it will manifest itself in ways that make the majority here cringe..

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Weegee- I have found that the fedora and very casual clothes still looks OK. I had slacks and a sweat shirt with my grey Stetson and went to pharmacy. Saw a guy similarly dressed about my age- Late 50s. Guess what I looked better cause he had the ubiquitos baseball cap and looked like a redneck.:)

vespasian

One of the Regulars
The whole thing reminds me very much of Billy Connolly's outlook. He generally wears and does as he wishes without it being to the detriment of others. He got hold of a boxing glove, tied some string around it, pulled out all the stuffing and used it as a shoulder bag. He judged people by their response to it. He called it his "&%$£*&% alarm" as the only people who responded negatively were quite rightly considered to be the kind who spend a little extra special time on themselves;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally