Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, Uh, What Did I Buy?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, just won this on ebay. Wasn't even thinking of bidding on it, but I need a black hat, and it was going cheap. So, now I have a Stetson Royal De Luxe, mint condition, for all of $4.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8402697083

Now, about this "mint" condition. It has no lining. Might it actually have come with none? (And this may sound like a stupid question, but: is there any reason I *need* a lining? I mean, in warm weather, isn't a hat cooler without one?)

Of course, the feather's gotta go. But I figure, if I replace the braided band with a black ribbon, I have a perfect Blues Brothers lid...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Looks like a decent felt Stetson - probably with a velour-type texture. There may be a sticker under the sweatband that tells you something - looks like the lining was removed for some reason. It's apparently a nice, plush finish stingy-brim hat.

And howdy to you!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
And "rope band" to me says: alpine. Not quite the Blues Brothers look I'm hoping for. Can I change it to a ribbon myself, or do I have to send it off? I take it the hat isn't going to look much like a Swiss hiking cap once the band is gone -- it's a pretty standard fedora shape.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That hat is a Tyrolean fedora. It is an Alpine hat and has the ribbon and feather of its pedigree. It is a very nice hat of this type and I like it very much.

However, I believe it will not convert easily to a stingy brimmed fedora. I surmise that this hat has a velvet finish, as many of the type do. Strip off the rope-like ribbon and feather and put a grosgrain ribbon and you run the risk of creating a "Huggy Bear" fedora.

Personally, I would enjoy it for what it is: a nice European hat. :)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
There have been recent dissussions about the techniques of replacing hatbands on a DIY basis - some searching will find them. The ribbon needs to be stretched at the bottom to allow for the hat's taper.

You'll have to take a look at the finish on the hat to see what you want to do with it. A standard ribbon would indeed make it look more fedora-like.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Ha! What's a "Huggy Bear" fedora? Sounds kind of cool -- you mean a blaxploitation hat?

The feather's definitely history. I'm thinking that what I might do is replace the rope with a leather cord -- making it something between a Tyrolean and a Traveler. (Lots of great leather guys in my town who could do that.)

Magus

Practically Family
Visigoth said:
Ha! What's a "Huggy Bear" fedora? Sounds kind of cool -- you mean a blaxploitation hat?

The feather's definitely history. I'm thinking that what I might do is replace the rope with a leather cord -- making it something between a Tyrolean and a Traveler. (Lots of great leather guys in my town who could do that.)

The OG (original gangster/pimp daddy) from the TV show Starsky and Hutch. I agree not a blues brother look hat. I have a Lee of similar design with a different ribbon that I wear brim down all the way around...gives me the Latino rap gangtsa vibe kinda thing. I wearing it today and feeling the part... 'cause I had to get all up in some peeps biznus 'bout disprespecktin me in a deal on my Borsa!

lol

Its a nice hat...wear it in fun...unless you are going to octoberfest...then....wear it in...errr...fun!

M

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, given that "pimp" is the latest adjective to be dragged into service to mean "cool"... I think I might like a pimped out hat.

The guy tells me it looks as if it never had a liner. So: again... what's the *point* of a liner? Except to keep you warmer in winter. I mean, should I tear the liner out of all my hats, if I want summer gear?

Magus

Practically Family
Visigoth said:
Well, given that "pimp" is the latest adjective to be dragged into service to mean "cool"... I think I might like a pimped out hat.

The guy tells me it looks as if it never had a liner. So: again... what's the *point* of a liner? Except to keep you warmer in winter. I mean, should I tear the liner out of all my hats, if I want summer gear?

Yes..in today's vernacular pimped=dressed up decked out.

Men used to wear "pomaide" in their hair (we would call it "product" today). It tended to leave a residue or if you get sweaty that isnt' good for the felt either. Liners...good...tearing them out...not good.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If you want a liner in it, hat shops replace them on a regular basis and will have spares handy. Just flip down the sweatband, tuck the liner in and flip the sweatband back up. You may not even need to stitch it in place.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Snagged a Knox Custom Stingy

Well, it would take up valuable cyberspace to start another thread to crow about another purchase... so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8273007107

I seem to have landed a virtually new Knox Custom. Looks sixties to me, although what do I know. Now, did Knox have various quality levels at that time? Knox 25, whatever? Or will this be one of their premium hats?

(This one I feel no need to apologize for, stylewise...)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Visigoth - Tom Waits??

Hey is your Avtar Tom Waits?? Can't remember exactly what he looked like, but I think it either is or resembles him. Oh that would be funny.... You ARE Tom Waits.
342px-Tom-waits.jpg

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I cannot tell a lie: I am not Tom Waits. But yeah, my avatar is. I aspire only to wear a hat as well as Tom does.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Thanks!

Still dying to know something about the levels of quality in the Knox line... Any historians out there?

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe