Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tango Yankee said:
Nah... it's those Veteran Cosmic Rockers, The Moody Blues! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

mbthrsh2.gif

Oh geez. Same thing. :eusa_doh: :p :p :p

The Dame

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
lol lol lol just like Nuevo Riche University.
We need to differentiate as Nouveau seems more like a 1920s period rather than a coarse individual who made their money pig farming. ;) :p :p :p

Hey, pigs are cleaner than hippies! :p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best book on snobbery and the nouveau riche is Petronius' Satyricon. This little first century AD masterpiece concerns a couple of highly educated slackers wandering the Mediterranean in search of patrons to feed and house them. The nouveau riche part is where they meet up with one of the greatest characters in fiction ... Trimalchio. An ex-slave, the vulgarest nouveau rich you have ever seen in your life, with an unbelievably expensive house, estates, farms, slaves, and the worst taste in human history. Misquoting Homer, getting his mythology wrong, a disgusting, gross monstrosity of a man, trying desperately to look better than he is. The novel's protagonists at first laugh at him, then kowtow to him since he has money. The attitude of the author is impossible to decipher ... a strange, amazing book.

Many translations are available if you (sniff) cannot read Latin. Oh, the plebs.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Speaking of highly educated slackers, now that I have put in a day of (dis)honest work bantering with the likes of everyone on this thread, it is time for me to bid you bon soir et au revoir. It's Miller time! :D

Doran said:
The best book on snobbery and the nouveau riche is Petronius' Satyricon. This little first century AD masterpiece concerns a couple of highly educated slackers wandering the Mediterranean in search of patrons to feed and house them. The nouveau riche part is where they meet up with one of the greatest characters in fiction ... Trimalchio. An ex-slave, the vulgarest nouveau rich you have ever seen in your life, with an unbelievably expensive house, estates, farms, slaves, and the worst taste in human history. Misquoting Homer, getting his mythology wrong, a disgusting, gross monstrosity of a man, trying desperately to look better than he is. The novel's protagonists at first laugh at him, then kowtow to him since he has money. The attitude of the author is impossible to decipher ... a strange, amazing book.

Many translations are available if you (sniff) cannot read Latin. Oh, the plebs.

Definitely a good example of the nouveau riche (ok I'll use nouveau) and their ostentatious displays of nothingness. :p
Latin? Never heard of it. :p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Definitely a good example of the nouveau riche (ok I'll use nouveau) and their ostentatious displays of nothingness. :p
Latin? Never heard of it. :p

If I'm nouveau rich, where the devil is my money? :p

Dame, let me get this straight -- you drink Miller?

Oh.
My.
God.

And we thought you were one of us.

Ruprecht? Please usher her out.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
If I'm nouveau rich, where the devil is my money? :p

Dame, let me get this straight -- you drink Miller?

Oh.
My.
God.

And we thought you were one of us.

Ruprecht? Please usher her out.

Gotcha! Snob!

(And for the record, NO - just wanted to see who'd rise to the bait ... :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe