Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassD

One of the Regulars
ShortClara said:
CassD and the Dame, as long as you're not teetotallers, you are welcome at my Court!

Well, I'm definately not a teetotaller either, as I sit sipping my mead and dreaming of aethelbros (whiskey strained through honey and oats). I wouldn't mind rifling through Dita's hat closet, as court is being held there.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
airforceindy said:
Because when she doffs them, nobody mentions them!

lol Make that ROTFLMAO, indy! Niiiiiiiiice! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And with good reason, my man - what the lady has under her underpinnings is doubtless more interesting than the articles she donned and then doffed.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
The Dame said:
lol Make that ROTFLMAO, indy! Niiiiiiiiice! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And with good reason, my man - what the lady has under her underpinnings is doubtless more interesting than the articles she donned and then doffed.

Never were truer words spoken! Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little in the dark over your rather long abbreviation. Care to enlighten me?

Also, I just noticed your signature line. Is that a Mae West qoute?

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
The Dame said:
And which, pray tell, of those tests should the wannabes take? There were a number than caught my eye, although I can't mention them here because their titles would be in violation of FL etiquette ... huh, more unmentionables ...

There certainly ARE some dubious topics on that page. Something tells me the bartenders (while privately amused) would look down on a few of them!

The Dame

One of the Regulars
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off. And yes, that is definitely a Mae West quote in my signature line, thanks for askin'. I've recently re-discovered her and have a whole new appreciation for her wit and turns of phrase.

As for the test topics, I agree - the Bartenders would definitely be unhappy if I were to list any of them explicitly, that's why I only referenced them. Nonetheless, I do hope Surely let's us know which of those tests he has in mind ...

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
The Dame said:
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off. And yes, that is definitely a Mae West quote in my signature line, thanks for askin'. I've recently re-discovered her and have a whole new appreciation for her wit and turns of phrase.

As for the test topics, I agree - the Bartenders would definitely be unhappy if I were to list any of them explicitly, that's why I only referenced them. Nonetheless, I do hope Surely let's us know which of those tests he has in mind ...

Ahhh... NOW I get it
That Mae West, she certainly had a quick wit about her, didn't she? Good-looking, though not on par with Garbo or Gardner; but that humor and "I'm too fabulous for any of you mere mortals" attitude amde her just plain sexy!

As for the 'questionable' surveys or tests, I think if (one were so inclined) the results could be exchanged via PM, couldn't they? So long they don't enter the public forum... Just a thought.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
The Dame said:
Define 'peg.'

No, no, I was addressing Surely. And, 'peg'... more in the context of 'identify' than 'single out'. I don't think that Mr. Surely, in spite of his occasionally pointed opinions, would be THAT blatant about pointing out people by name who are less than gracious in their dealings/dialogue with other Loungers.

Your Score: The Contrarian

You are 10% Bootlicker, 32% Toe-Stepper, and 54% Obnoxious Anti-Snob!

You just like being difficult, don't you. Place in society? Means nothing to you. Place in the counterculture? Look out for Number One! You seem to enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face. "Garage rock? You simpering poseur. I only listen to real-time recordings of construction site noises."

lollollol

CassD

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
Your Score: The Contrarian

You are 10% Bootlicker, 32% Toe-Stepper, and 54% Obnoxious Anti-Snob!

You just like being difficult, don't you. Place in society? Means nothing to you. Place in the counterculture? Look out for Number One! You seem to enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face. "Garage rock? You simpering poseur. I only listen to real-time recordings of construction site noises."

lollollol

lol I got almost exactly the same percentages and did get the same snob type:eusa_clap

surely

A-List Customer
"I don't think that Mr. Surely, in spite of his occasionally pointed opinions, would be THAT blatant about pointing out people by name who are less than gracious in their dealings/dialogue with other Loungers." Airforceindy

Mr Surly, hmm, I like the sound of that.

Airforceindy, about pegging people, I might, what are you offering for me not to?:rolleyes:

Blatant? Moi? Subtle is my middle name.

I'm not into pointing fingers, yet, I just wanted here to look at the concept and behavior. Get others thoughts and "pointed" opinions.

I also would like to be better able to understand the snob pov (point of view) in order to not jump to the wrong opinion. So I welcome them to join the discussion.

I've really enjoyed the irreverent & witty treatment of the topic while still getting in some serious thoughts. Shall we continue?

Josephine

One Too Many
The Jacka-- Pundit: You are 18% Bootlicker, 46% Toe-Stepper, and 55% Obnoxious Anti-Snob!

You take pride in holding yourself outside society, but you just...can't...resist stepping back in occasionally to deliver some good kicks to those already down. Nobody's ever quite proletarian enough for your tastes. "Dude, I f-kin' hate the President. If only I could take his place, I'd do such a better job...I'd be all, 'Come watch the little people dance!'"

[huh]

Jovan

Suspended
K.D. Lightner said:
Fourteen pages long and not a snob in sight! I don't think I have ever read so much funny bantering and puns and silly fun in a long time.
Because they have either made an effort not to be so, or they just haven't posted in here at all. [huh]

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think, in the earlier days (I have been on the FL since 2004), many of us became, what I would call "hat snobs." With all the info and advise we received, we were able to discern quality hats, whether vintage or custom made, from cheaper hats.

There were those of us whose budgets were such that we can buy 100% beaver hats or higher quality hats. But many who posted here could not do that.

I think most of us had to learn to refrain from advising others, whose budgets might be such that they could not afford hats costing several hundred dollars, or even a C note, that they should aim for the high end. Yes, the quality may be better and the hat may last longer, but, if someone cannot afford it, then they should get what they can afford.

We would advise them to look for vintage bargains, but that is sometimes hard to do searching through thrift stores and yard sales. And, of course, we all know what has happened to vintage hats on auction sites!

The goal has been to inspire others to wear fedoras or whatever hats they choose. It is not inspiring to be told you shouldn't buy a fedora unless it is, say, fur felt.

If there was any snobbery involved, then, I think it has largely disappeared.

karol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe