Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

Edward

Bartender
celtic said:
I almost bought one of those a year or two ago when I was still smoking cigars and pipes. (one of these days I should sell the cigars in my humi[huh] )

Pros:
Reversible (I actually LIKE the reverse pattern)
Corduroy (I really like corduroy)
Skull Button (LOVE it!)

Cons:
Price
Cord going in an unflattering direction
Price

I agree with the pros - I loved the skull button too, and I would absolutely have been wearing it with the interior pattern on view. Naturally, I would have been wearing it round the house as opposed to streetwear as envisioned by the manufacturer. Just a pity it's not cut in a more smoking jacket-style.....

Edward

Bartender
WildCelt said:
Autohanky? Does it jump out and wipe your nose for you?

lol It's basically a patterned pocket-lining with a triangular shape, designed so that it can be pulled inside out and look like a pocket square. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ed - update on Smoking Jackets..?

Ed, what's happening with the smoking jackets?

edbrown said:
Yes, small world. As I said in email - my son had a great letter from her Grace.

Unfortunately we don't have any seconds, even worse news is the price is likely to go up during the year due to an increase in material costs.

I'm looking intot he research element the manufacturer carried out and will let you know in due course.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I always liked Desi Arnaz's smoking jackets:

smokingjackets.jpg

That and his "baggies" - trés cool.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Velvet...it ain't necessarily so....

A jacket to protect your formal suit from ash and burns and smells was often made from a close knit wool rather than velvet, so hopefully that will expand the options open for you. However, finding one these days is easier said than done [huh] But, if you do, you'll stand out from the crowd, as the modern manufacturers seem to be focusing on a velvet style hybrid that can almost double up as a Tuxedo/Dinner jacket. Such is the modern world's take on things [huh]

Pyroxene said:
Here's how I got started on this...

I understand that most smoking jackets are formal velvet jackets worn in the smoking room when dining. Typically, they are dark green, dark violet, black, burgundy or dark blue.

A jacket that will protect me and my clothes from the smoke smell and the occasional hot ash.

Thanks,
Pyro.

Edward

Bartender
Nice score, Paddy - where did you fall in with that?

I was recently outbid on eBay for a couple of beautiful wool jackets - bespoke, 1981, cut to a classic thirties look, which belonged to a former US Amabassador to London. One in a nice, rich claret, the other in a rich grass-green. Did they go to a Lounger, I wonder?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Ed - she's a honey!

Can't wait. Oh, and there's a lovely 30's smoking jacket still knocking around the internet right now (lovely little wool number), so keep hunting.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
I have had a passion for smoking jackets as well as dressing gowns (silk/satin robes) all of my life. It's tough to find good quality made ones today, although one does occasionally find one in vintage shops, on eBay, etc...

Here is a link to a company currently making some rather exquisite Smoking Jackets and Dressing Gowns:

www.hillesodesigns.com

Check them out!

Mark

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My personal preference is for the short jacket look..

...rather than the Cowardesque 'gown' look (which I equate more to a dressing gown). All personal taste, but my leaning is to the earlier jackets of the 30's and the wool ones (see more pics) are really 'eye candy' for me. This autumnal brown that I show nearly got bagged by myself, but the 38" was just going to be possibly a tad too tight (I didn't want to risk it), but lovely all the same. And a nice break from the more common velvet ones (beware of 70's velvet jackets btw being passed off as something earlier).

53508.jpg

53508d.jpg

53508d2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
(beware of 70's velvet jackets btw being passed off as something earlier).

Seconded. There are an awful lot of dodgy 70s velvet blazers and sports jackets being passed off as "smoking jackets" out there. Doesn't help that across parts of mainland Europe, a dj is also often referred to as a "smoking" jacket. Caveat Emptor, as ever.

benstephens

Practically Family
Paddy,

I think it would have been fine. The Jacket you tried on of mine is a max 38", maybe a little smaller, and that seemed to fit you.

I remember in Camden lock there being a whole Edwardian smoking suit, very expensive though, but it was trousers, jacket and cap.

Kindest Regards

Ben

BillyCigars

New in Town
Glad to have found this thread!

I feel your pain - finding quality smoking jackets was a difficult journey for me. I own a private Cigar Club here in Seattle (very "Speakeasy" like) and one of the member benefits is a custom tailored, velvet smoking jacket. And I'm talking top-shelf design here - no Hugh Heffner, pimp style bathrobe-looking number.

They're more expensive than an off-the-rack option and I suppose you'd almost have to be physically here to get measured. We're paying the tailor $1,100 per jacket for our members. The only other option that I know of is the Brooks Brothers smoking jacket - the model ours is based on. Im at the Club now but I'll get some pictures together when I get home later and post them for reference.

The Brooks Brothers model (off-the-rack) is just shy of $1,000 IIRC and they're very nice, very conservative.

BillyCigars

New in Town
As promised:

img0915sm.jpg

img0916sm.jpg

Obviously, without me showing the details you can't see them, but there is a chest pocket, 2 waist pockets (all with piping), an internal chest pocket, and 2 cigar pockets.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Magnificent!!!

This jacket is amazing, exactly "my style"!
BillyCigars said:
As promised:

img0915sm.jpg

img0916sm.jpg

Obviously, without me showing the details you can't see them, but there is a chest pocket, 2 waist pockets (all with piping), an internal chest pocket, and 2 cigar pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe