Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers and Hat Wearers

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The point I was trying to make is that tobacco products have no use other than as a dangerous and deadly vice. There aren't too damn many ways to use a cigarette other than lighting one end and puffing. Alcohol can be used in moderation, enhances meals, and some varieties of alcoholic beverages can promote heart health. Fatty and or sugary foods are, after all, nutrition of some value, and also, moderation is key. Noxious fumes from vehicles weren't in the category I was referring to, sorry if I forgot to say consumable products.
As far as I know, the only other use of tobacco other than a vice is that nicotine was once used as a pesticide. It was a good one too, but dangerous to handle from what I understand.
The health/inconsideration/healthcare costs vs. personal liberties debate can and will go on for as long as there is tobacco. Hopefully within my (shortened, no doubt, by 26 years of deeply inhaling poisonous smoke) lifetime a smarter, better informed younger America will not need any legislation, or anything other than common sense to not light up a cigarette.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"Alcohol can be used in moderation, enhances meals, and some varieties of alcoholic beverages can promote heart health."

This would seem to me to imply that it is somehow impossible to use tobacco in moderation, or that people have never enjoyed smoking after, or even during, meals or drinking.
Both would seem to be blatantly false assertions.

What alcoholic beverage producer funded studies are you referring to for your last claim?
Oh, wait, I just noticed that you're located somewhere near the center of California's major wine producing region. Wines wouldn't just happen to be among the "some varieties of alcoholic beverages" that can promote heart health, would they? I've heard tell of a rumor that a good dose of regular exercise not only might, but almost overwhelmingly more likely does, do considerably more for heart health than destroying one's unregenerative brain cells.

Nuff said and time spent. I'm off to collect some second-hand spit.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I guess if there was nicotine or some other buzz producing drugs in flatulence then we'd have fart bars.
Wait a minute, I think they used to exist in the old west according to the scene from Blazing Saddles.

I have never bought a vintage hat on Ebay that came out of the box smelling like that.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
After a few days living by a fire, I was told I smelled like (smoked) sturgeon. A cultural variation on the same theme, but both a Badge of honor!
You should know this new pipe tobacco I purchased for Daniel, is just like Custard Pudding baking in the oven. It is called Vanilla Custard and wow real nice! If he was wearing a Hat while smoking that, I do not think it would make the hat stinky at all!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Tobacco products typically are sold with no directions as to how they should be used.
That aside, I really wonder why you wouldn't have been able to think of a single other product that might be harmful to people's health.
Alcohol, sugar and/or fat filled food, noxious gas spewing vehicles, etc., for a few examples.
With all the dangerous warnings we hear about all the time, it is obvious that to eat food in general may kill us all, seeing some Doctors, driving cars, taking a shower, or a vast variety of things we do each day. Even the "warnings" on most prescribed drugs that the FDA approves...you cannot escape the end....death comes to us all. Until then, in our household we are going to live life like there is no tomorrow!

I purchased from Pipes & Cigars, their bulk orders for pipe tobacco. It is Sutliff Vanilla Custard. Got 7 ounces for only $23.24!

How many calories per serving?

With all the dangerous warnings we hear about all the time, it is obvious that to eat food in general may kill us all, seeing some Doctors, driving cars, taking a shower, or a vast variety of things we do each day. Even the "warnings" on most prescribed drugs that the FDA approves...you cannot escape the end....death comes to us all. Until then, in our household we are going to live life like there is no tomorrow!

Yeah, but I'm running as fast as I can!

there aren't many things I despise more than receiving a hat that reeks of ****ing smoke
I take a fresh dryer sheet, put it in an open baggie then put it in the hat inside the hat box for a wk or so. I always have Red Cedar shavings to repel bugs in the box too. I put the dryer sheet in the baggie because I don't want to chance the dryer sheet staining the hat liner. But it will remove odors from an old hat and the smell of the dryer sheet, if noticeable dissipates from the hat within minutes.

viclip

Practically Family
I take a fresh dryer sheet, put it in an open baggie then put it in the hat inside the hat box for a wk or so. I always have Red Cedar shavings to repel bugs in the box too. I put the dryer sheet in the baggie because I don't want to chance the dryer sheet staining the hat liner. But it will remove odors from an old hat and the smell of the dryer sheet, if noticeable dissipates from the hat within minutes.

Good thinking ~ have you ever tried this with a hat smelling of mold/mildew?

I bought a hat at an estate sale once that had been stored in the basement for a long time I think. The dryer sheet did take care of that basement odor but I finally had to give up on the hat box. But I've never had a hat or box with actual mold or mildew. Not sure how you could remove that.

The only way would be to find something that actually killed the mold or mildew; a biocide. Given most would be liquid, you would have to be careful especially with a box. If the hat has critters, probably a naphtha bath would take care of it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid both of my parents smoked, and in the house. This was not abnormal. Everyone did it, and no one complained about the smell. Then, when it became a thing to quit (late '60s), people who had been nose-blind to cigarette smoke suddenly realized how bad it smelled when someone lit up.

Corruption is the reason we still have a legal cigarette industry. As previously pointed out, not only do cigarettes offer nothing positive, they offer only negative. Money is at the root, and corruption is all about money.

Years ago, I used to smoke about a cigar a week, but that stopped a long time ago. I was never concerned about what I was wearing. We smoked outside, and I was always careful to stand upwind of my own cigar so the smoke moved away from me. If I was with a group that didn't smoke, I would, and still do, position myself downwind so the smoke stays away from them.

Raider

One of the Regulars
My wife and I enjoy a cigar or two together (outside, most of the time) about twice a year (when the kids are away). Might have one with my brother on rare occasions (Texas/OU weekend....hand-rolled at the State Fair). I remember growing up in a house where my dad and my grandfather smoked regularly...lying on the floor watching TV under the haze...that was the early and mid-70s. My mom eventually asked them to take it outside and they did....I'm sure I smelled like smoke to all my friends at school and church whose houses were smoke-free, but not one of them ever said a word. Never smelled it, but I'm sure some of my teachers smelled like smoke...I know there was a smoker's lounge at school. My dad would smoke for months at a time and then just quit for two years (go smokeless - Levi Garrett or Red Man) and then go back. His dad was a pipe smoker. Wish I had his pipes. Just rambling...no political message here, but I do think a business should be able to write its own policies with regard to smoking... I don't have to go in there if I don't like it.

When I was in High School, in the mid-late '70s, we actually had a designated smoking area for the students. You had to get your parents to sign a permission slip to get a smoking permit.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
If you can find a spray can of "Hospiseptic" (depending on your hat color) it will work a very light spray, it kills everything including mold/mildew and as long as the hat is not a super light color it will work, just a very light mist of a spray. I have uese this on one Hat the was a darker silverbelly color and it did not discolor the hat as this spray is clear. This can is from a company TERAND INDUSTRIES, INC. It will kill off anything other than Alien life forms from Saturn! HA! I think I paid about $16.00 for one can, but it is a large sized can and will last a very long time. It works well also to spray inside of shoes, which is important when dealing with Vintage shoes as much as we do here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe