Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slips!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12480

I searched the forum using google and was amazed that i couldn't find anything already like this - unless i'm doing something wrong?? (in which case - apologies and feel free to point me in the right direction)

But i see that a lot of gals wear slips and stuff quite a lot.

So i was wondering - what type do you wear, do you wear vintage or repro and where do you get them from??

xxx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Slips are a necessity if you wear cotton dresses, unless you want to put on a shadow show. I get mine out of the dollar basket of random lingerie at Goodwill -- good 40s-50s nylon slips are still very common. Beware of elastic problems with the waists in half-slips though, those can give way at the worst possible moment, and I speak from experience on this.

Vintage slips seem to be much more durable in the straps than modern ones, or that's how it's always worked out for me.

Heather

Practically Family
I recently obtained my first vintage full dress slip via ebay. Its made by Hollywood Vassarette By Munsingwear which I know was made from 1958-?. I've only worn it once so far but I love it. It's mocha brown with a lovely floral lace accents on the front bodice and at the hem. I also have a modern half slip by Vassarette which I purchased at Target. hth!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I wear vintage slips. I think most of the ones I have are 40's and 50's. My litle sister just gave me two long black ones from the 1930's. I am hoping at least one will fit.

December

One of the Regulars
I wear vintage ones from Beyond Retro in London. They're about £8 or so- Billy bargain!!

I've just bought some vintage patterns too so I'm about to make my own repro ones.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
December said:
I wear vintage ones from Beyond Retro in London. They're about £8 or so- Billy bargain!!

I've just bought some vintage patterns too so I'm about to make my own repro ones.

I just found Beyond Retro online the other day. What's it like?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Hi, This is an interesting thread. I still have my slips that I bought in the underwear section of Woolworth but about a year ago I wanted to find a new one to do a sewing experiment with. I looked all over town and could not find one new full slip in any ladies dept. of any store. I realized that styles had changed but that was not what I expected. I did find one in a second hand store and was able to make what I wanted. It's nice to know where a person can get new ones.

December

One of the Regulars
bunnyb.gal said:
I just found Beyond Retro online the other day. What's it like?

It's amazing! A lot of it is 80s, and after the New Year they started bringing in 90s stuff, but it's not at all difficult to find clothes older than that.

The prices are really cheap too- about £20 for a day dress.

Personally I prefer the little one off Regent Street. I would always use that one because of its convenient location. Then I went to the big one in Brick Lane and was a bit overwhelmed by its size.

I'm going to the Brighton one next week so I'll let you know what it's like.

D

Deleted member 12480

brilliant - i'm off to check out your suggestions now!

xxx

GrrlFriday

New in Town
About two years ago, I officially grew too plump for all the slips my mom and aunts had given or handed down to me as a teenager (I'm 30) and went on a search for new ones. I had the WORST time trying to find some. I did eventually get a couple of "Vanity Fair" ones from herroom.com. They also sell Rago girdles there.

Recently, I've been seeing lots of slips in 30" and 32" in vintage and thrift shops.

D

Deleted member 12480

i don't know if its something about the Uk or the west midlands or Coventry but all my local 'thrift' stores ;) mostly sell... junk.

You get pretty scarves, but thats about it. No fabulous 40s bags or tea dresses... and i don't think i've EVER seen a slip :'(

xxx

Smuterella

One Too Many
You get loads of slips in most of the charity shops I go into in London, with the underwear (you have to root through the primark bras), often they are 70's but heck, they'll do me - after all I'm not wearing them to be seen.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I mostly wear modern slips.
I did have one that belonged to my mother and my grandmother before that, which now belongs to my little sister...

I find that these days slips are unnecessarily expensive. Why should I have to pay such a large sum for such a basic undergarment? Unfortunately, necessity sometimes overshadows price.

Fortunately however, when I was in Jamaica at Christmas I managed to pick up a few - including a full dress slip - at a very reasonable price. The elastic seems to be of fair quality and there is a nice thick band of lace at the bottom.

The only problem I found is the length, they are mostly quite long which means I have to get the sewing machine out. But I must point out I am quite short!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Thank you, December. For my to-do list: next time I've a day free I'll try and get to one of the Beyond Retro branches. I keep missing the Vintage Fashion Fairs for one reason or another, and I've got that itchy needing to spend feeling...

D

Deleted member 12480

if you're near birmingham any time soon there is a vintage fair with a £1 entry fee in june.

(they also do 'afternoon tea' and apparently they only choose the stall holders with the best value stuff!)

xxxx

swinggal

One Too Many
I have gotten all of mine from thrift stores too in navy, black, skin tone, white and baby blue. Pretty sure they are all from the 60s but they are soft and feel like I'm wearing nothing. They just fit better than anything new, especially round the bust area.

I have one slip that came with a 30s dress I bought (was made with it) and I have another that is from the 40s that is amazing - that real liquid, cream satin that you just don't see anymore. You could almost wear it as modern evening wear it is so lovely. Again, was from a thrift store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe