Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sketch of my grandfather made in 1945.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
In April of 1945, my grandfather was in the hospital in Germany. A USO artist, apparently named Mimi Forach, came by and sketched him. This was the result:

CaptConwillApril1945.jpg

The original is on heavy, yellowish cardstock and the 9th Air Force patch is in color. I haven’t got a proper scanner at the moment, so this was done with the document scanner at work.

This has hung in my grandmother’s house for years, and I’ve always loved it.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I just got another period photo of my grandfather scanned. He is in the lower right of the photo (second from the left, in the front row, with his face partially obscured by the rope). I think he’s wearing a crusher and an M41 field jacket.

1942boxingmatch.jpg

The back of the photo is stamped:

OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPH
AIR CORPS - U.S. ARMY
New Orleans Army Air Base, La.
Publication prohibited unless authorized
read -Photograph by U.S. Army Air Corps.-

I hope the Air Corps doesn’t come after me! ;)

The fact that this was shot in New Orleans means it was taken sometime in 1942, as that’s when my grandfather was stationed there.

-Dave

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
That is indeed a great family treasure.

I think everyone should have pics of themselves in their prime. When we get old, we can say 'look who's still inside'.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I always love coming across stuff like this. It brings a greater connection to our relatives and to our collective past. Thank you for sharing these treasures.

Cheers!

Dan

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
She got the likeness, for sure. As an (caricature) artist, I often have people tell me they still have the drawing I did of them or their children from two, three, five years ago. I am always flattered to know that they are cherishing something I drew. Mimi would be very thrilled and proud to know that you, and now we, are enjoying and valuing her work after all these decades.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Grandpa Bill was a handsome devil! And boy, just look at the gloss and sheen on his hair in his graduation photograph. He must love him some Brilliantine.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I just got another period photo of my grandfather scanned. He is in the lower right of the photo (second from the left, in the front row, with his face partially obscured by the rope). I think he’s wearing a crusher and an M41 field jacket.

1942boxingmatch.jpg

-Dave

Wow wee, what a lovely thing to have- a wonderful bit of family history and social history for that matter!
Glad to see the artist could capture a likeness-
Not sure how we are meant to tell in this picture though!!! – It always has to be the relative of yours obscured by the rope doesn’t it…(blooming typical!:rolleyes::)) Great snap all the same.

t x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust