Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silly but needed ?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We do, also, encourage women to widen out their participation in the Lounge by exploring some of the other rooms if they see something there that interests them. We have a lot of gals who *only* post in the PR and Beauty, and that's fine if that's where they're comfortable, but we do stress that the rest of the Lounge is not "Men Only" by default. I get the feeling some of the newer women coming along sometimes assume that.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Seconded, i have never found any of the gentleman to be anything less than charming and gracious when i have popped in for a scout around. I have interests in a broad range of subjects and find mens clothing and accoutrements to be just as fascinating in some respects as the ladies.

I'll add that there are several powder room threads that are invaluable when I am fixing up the Baroness's jackets (the darts on things small enough to fit her have often been let out and need to be resewn). The differences between men's and women's tailoring are staggering sometimes, and I need the sewing tips in the Powder room threads. I can even do buttons ;)

bk

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
When I make a post on a Powder Room thread, it's usually because the posting on the "New Posts" search, and didn't notice which forum it was on.
And of course I try to observe rules of decency and decorum. One thing that does sometimes bug me is that there are a lot of women who only post in the Powder Room, and don't seem to realize that the rest of the Lounge exists. (That's also true of other forums, of course.) The result is that sometimes topics that really are of general interest sit in the Powder Room for a while. I think our Bartenders (thanks Lizzie) do an excellent job of quickly recognizing such threads and moving them to other appropriate forums.
But maybe we do need a "He Man Woman Haters Club" forum! lol ;)

I sometimes feel that pr threads would be good discussion topics I would like to discuss and add to, but I always figured that I could always start my own in the general forum if i wanted to.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
Hmm, makes you wonder if we males even want something like this.

We could have a private area regarding men's health and development (although I have noticed MANY women wishing to post in men's health related issues on the internet), but I'm way to squeamish to be useful.

Private areas are only a problem if they are a vehicle for masquerading discrimination (the harmful sort), and I don't believe anything like that is going on here on the Lounge.

I don't think men are too squemish about health issues etc.

the only subjects I would see men wanting a men's only discussion would be 1, talking crudely about women, which would not be appropriate anywhere on the forum, secondly, talking about the foibles and follies of dating and being married, which could remain appropriate if everyone tried, and the third would be how to "pick up" and meet women, because I prefer to have such discussions with men without women's input for reasons I will not go into detail on. But I don't feel a big need to discuss that with men here anyway. I belong to a forum dedicated to that, which has no women, although they are not prohibited.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't think any of the guys have any issue with women posting in ostensibly "male" threads - neckties, whatever.

I guess there are topics on which ladies will feel wrong if a man is watching, for which guys wouldn't have the same issue. Underwear show and tell would be a good example. That's exactly the kind of thing that guys will enjoy looking at, but propriety of the way the lounge works should keep them out of those threads (the female members here shouldn't be treated as sexual objects or objects of desire for male FLoungers). But the male underwear thread that was sadly taken over by knuckle dragging homophobes (there was a problem with silk, IIRC), I don't think any of the guys would have a problem with women looking. It wasn't show and tell, though.

I know we at one time had a male FLounger who had an incredible colection of women's vintage of all kinds and may have been a fashion historian. I think he may have been a cross-dresser or identified him/herself as transvestite/intersex. How do the ladies feel about someone who has thus mis-assigned or ambiguous/confused sexuality looking and posting in those threads? I can imagine female members of the British vintage community, certainly the ones I know, wouldn't care very much.

bk

the kind of women I like best would welcome a such identified guy, as long as "she" acted appropriately.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
I don't know of any "Men Only" threads -- as far as I'm concerned, though, if the fellas want them, they're welcome to them. Maybe they should have The Lodge Room, where they can dress up in funny hats and have initiations and hang a No Girls Allowed sign on the door.

Splendid idea. We'll have a handshake, and a treasure map, and special hats, and an entire day of the week to ourselves where we do unhealthy things including smoking and drinking, and probably gambling...

...and a couch-cushion fort...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Splendid idea. We'll have a handshake, and a treasure map, and special hats, and an entire day of the week to ourselves where we do unhealthy things including smoking and drinking, and probably gambling...

Cutting back to one day a week.....

brave man ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Undertow said:

It'll be a veritable He-Man-Woman-Haters-Club. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
mcmanus4.jpg

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
That bothers me too. And as you said, there are some folks who only post in hats and dont know of the larger forum.

We get a lot of non PR/general topic threads and if a thread becomes completely mixed company, its moved to a more appropriate area. If its just ladies chatting, then it tends to stay unless it actually could fit better in another forum.
LD

At first I stayed in the "Ladies" areas as I did have the impression that it was where I was welcome to chat and that the 'mens' areas were, well, for the men!
But as I got to reading other posts about the movies, books, ect. and realised there was so much info then men have to offer..well I snooped on over to some of the 'mens' threads and found I wasn't the only lady there!
My grandpapa died three years ago and whenever I had a 'vintage' question, a question about good scotch, WWII, growing up in NY in the 30's, cigars, pipes... I would ask him, but now....well, while I don't think all then men on the forum are my grandpapa (some are young enough to be my son!), I certainly do appreciate their knowledge in these areas :)

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:

Ahhhh...I use to help my boys build a couch cushion fort!!!
Maybe if I build one, they will become little boys again [huh] ?

Roxy

Familiar Face
Honey Bee said:
Ahhhh...I use to help my boys build a couch cushion fort!!!
Maybe if I build one, they will become little boys again [huh] ?

If that works let me know. I'm on it!:D

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Right up until someones wife calls and needs him to stop and buy something on his way home... lol

Yeah, all the secret handshakes in the world won't hide our shame! lol shhhhhhhh

That's it; Feraud, go ahead and let MK know we've established the Official He-Man-Woman-Haters-Club Forum. Ladies, you'll need to avert your eyes.

First topic of discussion: the fine art of picking one's nose and placing the resulting deposit in an easily hidden location! :p

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
The differences between men's and women's tailoring are staggering sometimes, and I need the sewing tips in the Powder room threads. I can even do buttons ;)

bk

Heeheeee! This is so funny to me today because I was just ironing a dress today that the very lovely Whisting Tailor mended for me, and when he gave it back, he told me he'd repaired a hole in the side seam. Turns out he'd 'mended' the little deliberately placed hole for threading the self-belt through, and he'd mended it so beautifully and perfectly as is his wont being a bespoke tailor, that I couldn't work out how to unpick it! lol Bless 'im.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld