Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shutter Island (2009)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Funny you should mention the tie; it was one of the first things I noticed - being so big and bright and loud, and that early scene that focuses on him picking it up, followed by the flashback of his wife giving it to him. It seemed clearly a key part of the story (well, not the final outcome, but a crucial connection to the past and the woman).
In some scenes, it was just about the only thing of color. ;)
I agree it may be a 'watch twice' affair. My husband and I had thought to see it, but my friend had only two passes, and the show was so early the Mr. couldn't have joined us anyway. Maybe he and I will take in a matinee one weekend.

candy_noir

New in Town
After reading the book I was excited for movie, if only to see if the film stayed true to the ending. Though the endings aren't excatly the same, if you are paying close attention you'll be second guessing the ending after you leave the theater.

In the book you get more of the story between Teddy & his wife. Of course, the cinematography & set design of ther film are wonderful!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I saw it this afternoon and truly enjoyed it. I think the acting was well done and the sets were great. I'm sure I'll have to see it again to work out all the hints and details along the way.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was really drawn into this film when I watched it last night. I ended up wondering if the truth was (A), (B), or both.

This story probably couldn't have been set in a contemporary period. Teddy's background was important, and the mental health care system is much changed since 1954.

I'll pay attention to Teddy's tie when I watch this again.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Watched it last week for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Well acted, intriguing storyline, some very snappy plot twists and a truly unsettling in parts, thrilling atmosphere. I'll watch it again.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Watched this film last night and loved it! Just my sort of thing. Annoyingly though I guessed the twist right at the beginning, but that's what you get when you're a psychotherapist I spose. The end quotation is my favourite and thoroughly poignant "Is it better to live as a monster, or die as a good man" Yaaay loves it!

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Saw it, Liked it. The dramatic effects are a little in your face, but it seems fitting — just like the explosive "da da da daaah!" flourishes in noir and radio soaps to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Only downside was that it was predictable, and so much is hinged on the twist ending. I also think it didn't push the disturbing imagery enough. This would have been epic with more of a "Jacob's Ladder" treatment.

I'd see it again for the period details. Mid-century institutions and psychosurgery never loses its creepy edge, does it?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Now I am intrigued. I'll have to put this one on my rental list. I'd heard that this one was a bit of a rip-off of Session 9 (another one of those films that benefits from multiple viewings) so had dismissed it as a typical big-budget parasitic takeover of a superior smaller-budget film.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
My wife & I just saw it. It is a GREAT film; but it has a real twist at the end. The clothes are 1950's, it does have that McCarthy-esque, HUAC feel to it. All in all, it is a great movie.

Pete

Edward

Bartender
Saw this on a plane a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it. The period look and feel is nice - it seems, to my inexpert eye, a convincing depiction of the early mid fifties as really would have been - much closer to the forties than the post rock and roll, mainstream stereotype normally has it. I figured out the major plot points by about halfway along, but (unlike the formulaic M Night Shyalaman ouevre) that did not detract from my enjoyment of the piece.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I liked it but was surprised how linear the story actually was.

Did anyone else notice the scene where his partner gets the woman they are interviewing a glass of water, and in the next edit she drinks it but is NOT holding a cup, then in the next shot she sets an empty but wet cup down? That freaked me out! I thought the film was gonna be filled with that type of awesome stuff.

LD

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I saw...

Lady Day said:
I liked it but was surprised how linear the story actually was.

Did anyone else notice the scene where his partner gets the woman they are interviewing a glass of water, and in the next edit she drinks it but is NOT holding a cup, then in the next shot she sets an empty but wet cup down? That freaked me out! I thought the film was gonna be filled with that type of awesome stuff.

LD

...that, but presumed I missed her holding the glass. I didn't want to ask my wife to backtrack for something so small.

I thought the movie was OK. I practically cried over that beautiful car.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Scarlet said:
The end quotation is my favourite and thoroughly poignant "Is it better to live as a monster, or die as a good man" Yaaay loves it!

But I think that was the real twist in the movie. Not all the other stuff.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe