Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showcase of Non-Indy Federations

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Cowboy, that looks perfect now! Classic and just right for your face! I am jealous. I may have to see about trying that. What did you cut the brim down to?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
Wow! Cowboy, that looks perfect now! Classic and just right for your face! I am jealous. I may have to see about trying that. What did you cut the brim down to?

I just took off a quarter of an inch all the way around, but man it looks a lot different. Here is a before and after picture.
IMG_3865.jpg

Picture009.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I like the brim trim, it makes the hat far more urban. The more I look at and wear my Fed IV, the more I feel like I'm wearing a cowboy hat. I would really like to have mine Whippet-ized (i.e. the brim trimmed to 2.5" all the way around, bound with a gray, 9-ligne ribbon, and have a gray, 18-ligne crown ribbon put on).

-Dave

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
I like the brim trim, it makes the hat far more urban. The more I look at and wear my Fed IV, the more I feel like I'm wearing a cowboy hat.

I agree, and being in NYC people mistook it for a cowboy hat a lot, especially if I wore cowboy boots. Some people still probably will mistake it for a cowboy hat, but I don't think it would look good with a brim any shorter.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UWS Cowboy said:
I agree, and being in NYC people mistook it for a cowboy hat a lot, especially if I wore cowboy boots. Some people still probably will mistake it for a cowboy hat, but I don't think it would look good with a brim any shorter.

I am definatley going to wear my fed IV deluxe with my luccheses'

Like what you did. You got talent:eusa_clap

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
I am definatley going to wear my fed IV deluxe with my luccheses'

Like what you did. You got talent:eusa_clap

I have luccheses as well. What skin are yours? I have black cherry ostrich, someday I hope to get another hide in brown. Probably just cow or bull. Also, thanks.

Edward

Bartender
UWS Cowboy said:

Slightly :eek:fftopic: , but... what is the leather jacket you're wearing it with? At least on my monitor it looks like a great colour, and a really nice pairing with that hat.

This thread though does nothing good for myh financial position.... My two Fed IIIs (Carbon grey standard and dark brown deluxe) are by far my favourite hats, and I am very keen indeed to lay hands on some IVs....

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Slightly :eek:fftopic: , but... what is the leather jacket you're wearing it with? At least on my monitor it looks like a great colour, and a really nice pairing with that hat.

This thread though does nothing good for myh financial position.... My two Fed IIIs (Carbon grey standard and dark brown deluxe) are by far my favourite hats, and I am very keen indeed to lay hands on some IVs....
It is a vintage jacket from the 60s or 70s, made by Sears. I got it at a thrift store and it's sort of a maroon/brown color. In some lights it even looks chocolate brown. Here I am in my Fed and jacket before I trimmed the brim.
IMG_3885.jpg

Mr. Paladin

It Is Completed!

Here is my new FED IV complete with its crease. I made it a diamond with a diamond teardrop. The diamond teardrop doesn't show too well in the picture but I am not much of a photographer either. I also turned it up a bit in the back since I like that look. It was great felt to work with and actually got stiffer after I steamed and shaped it. Since I am previously accustomed to western hats ala Stetson, that does not bother me at all. The front of the crown measures 4 3/8 inches and the rear is 4 inches even.

Before:
WadesNewHat005.jpg

After:
WadesAkubraHat002.jpg

WadesAkubraHat004.jpg

WadesAkubraHat005.jpg

WadesAkubraHat006.jpg

WadesAkubraHat001.jpg

WadesAkubraHat003.jpg

I am pleased with the results and it will stay in this form.

Carlisle Blues

UWS Cowboy said:
I have luccheses as well. What skin are yours? I have black cherry ostrich, someday I hope to get another hide in brown. Probably just cow or bull. Also, thanks.

UWS I have a Lucchese Classic Crocodile in Cigar for my Fed Iv Deluxe Brown

products320.jpg

Also, Lucchese Classic Black Elephant for my Fed IV Deluxe Moonstone

products313.jpg

This just too much...totally psyched:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

David Conwill said:
Wow, Paladin, your Fed has a lot more taper than mine. I wonder if that's from your having steamed it. Still, it looks good, it reminds me a lot of my old Dobbs.-Dave

I only had to lightly steam the crown to get the crease to hold so I don't think it was the steam. It appeared that way when I dry creased it initially and I was a bit surprised myself but it really doesn't bother me. My Stetson Dexter has enough taper for a ski jump and I like it too so this one will be fine. My Stetson Gun Club has less taper than this FED IV though.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
I have a tawny fawn Fed IV in a teardrop, a deep brown DM Adventurer in a C-crown, and a brand-new-for-Christmas moonstone Fed IV Deluxe in the classic crease/pinch:

TFFedIV1.jpg
DMAdvntrer1.jpg
MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
diamonds

Most of my hats are diamond bash.
A black Akubra Fed picked up last March on the FL classifieds.
But I shouldve waited for a grey. I might have to swap out the band. Black on Black is a littl too serious.
And I might trim the brim to two inches on the sides.

3200147277_0b1af0e7f6.jpg

3200992282_3d900de887.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
Most of my hats are diamond bash.
A black Akubra Fed picked up last March on the FL classifieds.
But I shouldve waited for a grey. I might have to swap out the band. Black on Black is a little too serious.
And I might trim the brim to two inches on the sides.
Nah, man, you'll be surprised at the times you might want a black fedora. Keep it. And keep the brim at its current size. That hat looks really good on you the way it is.

I have hats in tawny fawn, deep brown, two shades of grey, and Nullarbor Tan, and I wish I had a black. I have a silvery grey silk sports coat, and I now realize that black would look the best with it. I also have a black leather jacket, a dark tan trench coat, and a black lightweight microfiber jacket. All my fedoras work with these jackets, but a black one would bring something special to it.

Now I know why there are so many black fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld