Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Vintage Movie Lobby Cards

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Although there are a couple of movie poster threads (with few posts), there doesn't appear to be one devoted just to lobby cards. Almost as important as posters, lobby cards were designed as inducements, showing what publicity departments thought were scenes which would tempt the movie-goer into seeing their films. (That said scenes were usually not in the movie, meant little to the studios.) Since I'm willing to bet that a lot of Loungers have lobby card collections, let's post them here. I'll start with one of my prizes, which I picked up for a song: an original from the 1934 serial, The Return of Chandu (The Magician).

Photo12.jpg

You can, of course, see Bela Lugosi's head to the left, and above him it states "Sol Lesser Presents." Lesser went on to produce Tarzan films at RKO.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"C"-Man

Just got this through a seller whose friend's husband, a collector of lobby cards, recently passed away. 1949 from Laurel Films, with Dean Jagger, Lottie Elwen, and John Carradine. Jagger plays a Treasury Man whose partner is murdered, so the former investigates and follows a trail of smuggling and murder...

Photo37.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Some great cards there!

I had a brilliant one from Mildred Pierce that I got in Central Park - I brought it home and there was something stuck on it - like a leaf from the trees hanging over the seller's stall so I decided to wet the leaf to get it off and a huge hole appeared right beside Joan Crawford's face - it was ruined - I should have left well alone......

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
^^I hope that it was a reproduction, and not an original. :(

It was an original sadly - the photo literally melted before my eyes. The seller had boxes and boxes of studio portraits, lobby cards and original magazines - I'm sorry I didn't buy more (this was on my first trip to NYC when I was 18 so not too much spenders) - I did however also buy an original studio portrait of the lovely Ann Sheridan which I still have - and in perfect condition!!!!!!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have a few lobby cards, these are quite nice:

George Sanders and Peter Lorre in 'Lancer Spy':
IMG_3581_zpsc631d08e.jpg

Title card from 'Cult of the Cobra':
IMG_3579_zpsb1a36214.jpg

'Gorgo'
IMG_3580_zps8299000a.jpg

I have been slowly clearing out the film stills and posters etc that I'd collected over the years. So if anyone is interested in these ones I'd be happy to sell or trade.

Miss Slapstick

New in Town
I collect Al St. John memorabilia, here are a few ..

LIVE COWARDS - Silent comedy from 1926.

PUBLIC STENOGRAPHER from 1934, A DESERT HERO 1919, HOLD YOUR HAT 1926, CURSES! 1925.

LOVEMANIA 1924, LOVE 1919, SPECIAL DELIVERY 1922, FIRE AWAY 1925.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael