Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Foofoogal

Banned
This thread is amazing. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

michou1930
Welcome to the FL. I am in awe. I would totally forget my counting.

Miss Dottie, that little red sweater is just way too cute for words.

evelyns-niece

New in Town
i agree

Hi Michou,

Loving the sweaters!

And MissDottie those booties/shoes are too too cute! If I have another girl I so need those ;)

This is the kind of thread I just adore! :) Yarn, I love thee! :)

Have a great day ladies!

michou1930

New in Town

Thanks for you approval - I love knitting those and now I only wish I could present them more appropriate. Any idea how I could my hair grow quicker into a little wavy bob ;-)

Ok, here is another one from a 1948 Jack Frost pattern:

3203908764_ae04d0f101_o.jpg

3203058397_b4854525d3.jpg

The skirt seems to become a standard pattern of mine, my sewing abilities are way beyond my knitting.

michou1930

New in Town
Hi sweetcherry

I am laying in bed and feel sick and bored and that is why I am online the whole day. So I immediately noticed that you befriended me via Ravelry - am I clever ? ;-)

On and off - why didn't this sweater manage to keep you going? I found that this very simple pattern was not so simple to knit - one row took ages and I got bored. I am a quick knitter, normally - two weeks for a small sweater like this should do the trick. But I nearly had to double the time needed. So I can understand perhaps why you did not work on it constantly :)

Lenah

New in Town
Michou -

Deine Pullis sind ja wunderschoen!! Wo hast Du die ganzen Anleitungen her, kannst Du teilen?

I love your sweaters Michou! And I like the way you combine your outfits to be modern, but distinctly vintage inspired. Even love your lace up booties :) Very pretty.

michou1930

New in Town

Lenah said:
Michou -

Deine Pullis sind ja wunderschoen!! Wo hast Du die ganzen Anleitungen her, kannst Du teilen?

I love your sweaters Michou! And I like the way you combine your outfits to be modern, but distinctly vintage inspired. Even love your lace up booties :) Very pretty.

Most of the patterns I bought at IvaRose or Karensvariety - the last one sells them for download and there are some very nice ones!

And for the combination - my vintage wardrobe isn't that big so I combine as good as possible. I started sewing and now only wear skirts (well, most of the time).

Woher stammt denn dein Deutsch? Ich kann dein Profil noch nicht einsehen, daher frage ich mal ganz neugierig.

Antje

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Finished this last night, wore it today. Yay!
yc6.jpg

yc7.jpg

I really love this one, you did a really great job,
I once told myself never to knit again, because the last time i did I went nearly insane, but when I see this I wanna try again

michou1930 said:
I am laying in bed and feel sick and bored and that is why I am online the whole day. So I immediately noticed that you befriended me via Ravelry - am I clever ? ;-)

On and off - why didn't this sweater manage to keep you going? I found that this very simple pattern was not so simple to knit - one row took ages and I got bored. I am a quick knitter, normally - two weeks for a small sweater like this should do the trick. But I nearly had to double the time needed. So I can understand perhaps why you did not work on it constantly :)

My problem is that I knit, crochet, and sew doll clothes for other people. That usually takes priority over anything I am making for myself. I am determined to get it finished for this spring/summer.

michou1930

New in Town
CherryRed said:
My problem is that I knit, crochet, and sew doll clothes for other people. That usually takes priority over anything I am making for myself. I am determined to get it finished for this spring/summer.

That explains it perfectly - do you still have fun making things for yourself when working for other people? I am a very selfish knitter, unfortunately :-(

Actually I used to get a guilt complex. I would always feel I should be making stock for my etsy shop or ebay. But a girl's got to have clothes for herself so I am trying to not feel so bad about it. As long as I keep up with my orders, I am trying to work a bit on that sweater each evening or so.

michou1930

New in Town
Guilt

Guilt - yes. But don't forget you're a woman and as such to feel guilty all the time [huh] especially when doing something for yourself. There is always something to cook, to clean, to repair, to buy, to heal, to mend, to give as soon as you sit down and start thinking of doing something for pretty little self. So simply forget about guilt, doesn't do any good :p

[QUOTE. Guilt
Guilt - yes. But don't forget you're a woman and as such to feel guilty all the time especially when doing something for yourself. There is always something to cook, to clean, to repair, to buy, to heal, to mend, to give as soon as you sit down and start thinking of doing something for pretty little self. So simply forget about guilt, doesn't do any good [/QUOTE]

You put that so well. That is exactly my feeling on doing anything for myself. I think I inherited it from my Grandmother. I am trying to get over it.:eek:

michou1930

New in Town
CherryRed said:
You put that so well. That is exactly my feeling on doing anything for myself. I think I inherited it from my Grandmother. I am trying to get over it.:eek:

We seem to share the same grandmother ... ;-)

Inky

One Too Many
I am so envious of all you tiny things being able to knit those actual vintage patterns to fit! So I caved in today and ordered A Stitch In Time. I've seen some of the sweaters and they look lovely, so I can't wait to get it (2 weeks from overseas, oh the waiting, the waiting). I hope that it will be easier for me to fit a modern re-make of a vintage pattern with their modern sizing.

I have been knitting and crocheting since I was 8 years old, but I've never made a sweater for myself, lots of baby ones but none for me :)

It's about time!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have you looked at the "3 hour sweater"? Because it's just knit and rib, it shouldn't be too difficult to size up. I just ordered yarn to give it a go.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I have and it's saved on my ravelry (i am inkyknits if anyone wants to friend me there). I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. What kind of yarn are you using for it?
I'm using Shine Worsted from knitpicks.com. If you look through the 3hr sweaters on Ravelry, there is a lady who worked out a more readable version of the pattern and recommends the Shine Worsted.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/thefabledneedle/3-hour-sweater-1930s
She's a little thing and had to make the pattern smaller, so clearly grading can be done. It helps that I have a friend who is a knitwear designer. She said she'd double check my numbers. I also expect that it will take a couple attempts to get it right.

Inky

One Too Many
That is nice yarn, I made a shawl out of it. I am just so math challenged, so I think I will wait for the Stitch in Time book to try out a already sized pattern for me.

I think I will start with this little number, with longer sleeves of course, and have been perusing the fingering weight yarns at knitpicks already, lol!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That's cute! I can't wait to see it. Please give a review when you get your book. It's a bit out of my price range now, but I do want to get it in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld