Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
That is

a beautiful house. :eusa_clap Yeah, I'd say you found a great buy!
Love the porch...have always wanted a home with a front porch (or wrap around).

I'm hoping to buy the farmhouse I spent most of my childhood living in one day, it was built in 1895 and had many outbuildings and was a good sized house at 2800 square feet and sat on a good amount of land.

If that fails, I'd love to have a 50s ranch or a 20s bungalow like the one we lived in in Milwaukee (even though I'd never want to live in the big city again)

swinggal

One Too Many
This was my beloved 1929 home, sold because my ex and I broke up :( When we bought it, it had all the wrong fittings for the era and was painted disgusting 80s colours etc. We used original deco colors and I found reproduction light fittings and switches to bring it all back to how it should be :). I love this era because it is classy and simple and I dislike clutter.

We also filled it full of art deco furniture and art from the era. I hated leaving the place :( it was very special to me.

105347642ml1229266081.jpg

105347642bl1229266081.jpg

105347642al1229266081.jpg

105347642dl1229266081.jpg

105347642fl1229266081.jpg

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Here's a photo from this past winter when we got snow. That's not frequent in SC.

The house was built by Walter and Mamie Cooper, my great grandparents, in the 1920's. Most of the lumber was cut on site by my great grandfather. It did not have electricity or indoor plumbing until the 1950's. I added 1100 feet to it in 2001, and sadly could not afford to use wood siding at the time, so it has vinyl now.

BUT, it has no carpet. It has vinyl flooring in the office and kitchen, the rest is hardwood. The old part of the house has all wood walls and ceiling instead of plaster. It's a true old farm house, tin roof and all.

IMG_0585.jpg

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Our cape, built in 1944, with various additions through the years. We bought it 4 years ago and I've done a lot with the gardens out front, but other than that the exterior still looks the same. We hate the aluminum siding and plan to replace it in the next few years with something better.

DSCN1000.jpg

It has all kinds of cool built-in cabinets and details, which appealed to us. The Mister and I are both sort of vintage-eclectic, not grounded in any particular era. We LOVED the hardwood floors. We're in the process of restoring the downstairs bathroom, which was last updated in the late '60s...we're bringing it back to a more classic look.

House3-30-07020.jpg

House3-30-07013.jpg

House3-30-07010.jpg

My husband wants to redo the kitchen, but I'm in love with the countertops, so I keep convincing him to wait. :)

House3-30-07017.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The Mister and I are both sort of vintage-eclectic, not grounded in any particular era.

Sounds like us. We are seekers of quality and style, not necessarily looking to replicate a particular era.

The colonial revival interior of our home is well suited to this, as that style has had periods of popularity in almost every decade since the colonial period.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My Lobby

Here are a few shots of the lobby of my building in the Bronx. It was designed by architect Hyman Feldman. The cornerstone was laid in 1937, and it was finished in 1939. I've posted pics of the exterior before, but the lobby is worth a look all by itself.

This is the view from the entrance. It's really 2 buildings hooked together, sharing one lobby. There an elevator in the foreground, and another in the distance for the north half of the building.

601Lobby009reduced.jpg

The lobby is dominated by a huge mosaic of Diana the Huntress, that is in deplorable condition.

601Lobby002reduced.jpg

601Lobby003reduced.jpg

601Lobby004reduced.jpg

601Lobby005reduced.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More lobby

601Lobby006reduced.jpg

601Lobby007reduced.jpg

The tiles are in terrible condition, you barely touch them and they fall off. It think the background is copper leaf. I think this mosaic is totally Rockefeller Centerworthy.

Floor tiles
601Lobby010reduced.jpg

601Lobby011reduced.jpg

The end of the lobby, with the nice deco console.

601Lobby012reduced.jpg

The only other glaring issue is the lighting. Some nincompoop a few years ago put up lovely brass colonial fixtures throughout. They's look great at Mt. Vernon, but they look TERRIBLE here.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think there used to be a lot more amenities in years gone by, including a door man. Old timers here love to talk about how this buidling was populated by wealthy folks "back in the day". But "the day" was a long time ago, and there are lots of out and out slums that used to be the homes of the rich. This building is still the gem of the neighborhood (and a lovely neighborhood it is, too), but it's now a strictly working class place. Nothing wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe