Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
I agree with Sunny. I do think more 'ordinary' everyday hats were just plain worn out then thrown away, with the fancier ones surviving since they were worn less.

A dealer said to me recently when I was paying (very little) for a very plain brown 30s felt hat that looks like it was never worn "I can't sell many like this, everyone wants the fancy ones!" Heck, they can have the fancy ones if it means I get the 'ordinary' ones!

I also bought another plain felt in a lovely duck egg blue on Saturday from the same shop, although the old owner has sold it to new people. I hope I can track the old owner down, as she was fantastic for accessories.

Hmmmm, I must take some pics of everyday hats and post them for you. I have 30s and 40s ones. I *promise* to try and do it soon.

I would love to see your everyday hats, Miss Sis! Love love love!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
The new LIFE photo archive isn't doing any wonders for my productivity!

Look at these three period examples of mismatched hairstyle and hats:

Long bob does not go with new hat styles
Example 2
Example 3

I find this sort of thing fascinating. There were all sorts of little details which, 70 years later, wouldn't occur to us (me, anyway).

Also...you thought YOU knew a nutty bride? You ain't seen nothin' yet. Witness the Turkey Feather Bride, Barbara O. Ehrhart. (Note: I *think* the hats pictured are ones the bride simply designed for some unknown purpose, and *not* what the bridesmaids were wearing. I think. I hope. I'm not absolutely sure.)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh my... the turkey lady is bizarre! I don't actually mind the hats with the hairstyles, though... shows what I know about mixing hairstyles and hats! Making a mental note to not wear hair down with tilt styles... [huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
Also...you thought YOU knew a nutty bride? You ain't seen nothin' yet. Witness the Turkey Feather Bride, Barbara O. Ehrhart. (Note: I *think* the hats pictured are ones the bride simply designed for some unknown purpose, and *not* what the bridesmaids were wearing. I think. I hope. I'm not absolutely sure.)

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=Barbara+O.+Ehrhart+source:life&imgurl=73ed64148f9850c7

Shows the whole wedding party....so no...some of those hats were not worn in her turkey-tastic wedding... ;)

p.s. sewing feathers on dresses like that is -insanity-...I tell you...insanity....*cough*

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family

divaabsoluta

New in Town
Vintage Betty said:
Do you want new or used? Modern or reproduction?
What is your budget?

For about $300 you can get one from Deco Eyes or for under $10 you can get a styrofoam one, and you can usually find them at the thrift store for a dollar.

Here's some of mine:

Hat Blocks and Accessories:

(Left to right: 1800's? Hat Block, 1920's Balsa Hat Block in Cloche Design, Custom Made Hat Block to my head size out of 4 wood posts, standard wig form with canvas overlay, 1970's polyester hat band, vintage straw, 1800's doll millinery hat blocks, 1920's antique brim cutter and antique spinner.

millinery_tool3.JPG

Hat Displays:

(Left to right: modern blown glass, 2 wood spindles, 1920's hand painted hat display)

millinery_tool5.JPG

Thank you sooo much Betty! Deco eyes was exactly what I was looking for, even if I can´t afford to buy one just yet. Thanks for sharing your own collection ! Sorry about the late reply, I´m still figuring out how to work this website. How do you ladies keep track of where you last posted something ? Do you just read everything ??! D

Josephine

One Too Many
divaabsoluta said:
How do you ladies keep track of where you last posted something ? Do you just read everything ??! D

I just click "New Posts" when I sign on, and scroll through to see the ones I'm interested in. There will be a small icon to the left of the thread title with a curving arrow on it that indicates you have posted in that thread, so you can easily go back and see if there are any replies to what you posted. :)

divaabsoluta

New in Town
Josephine said:
I just click "New Posts" when I sign on, and scroll through to see the ones I'm interested in. There will be a small icon to the left of the thread title with a curving arrow on it that indicates you have posted in that thread, so you can easily go back and see if there are any replies to what you posted. :)

Thank you Josephine ! D

Sunny

One Too Many
These two beauties arrived yesterday. I LOVE them! Shapes I've scarcely ever seen before (so 30s!), soft and comfortable, fun wide brims, and plenty big enough for my big head! Yay!

Brown fuzzy/textured fur felt with grosgrain ribbon trim and a big buckle the seller thinks is bakelite.

198349332_o.jpg

198349026_o.jpg

Navy blue felt, made plaid with threads of other colors, in a darling shape.

198348962_o.jpg

198348747_o.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
rko65s.jpg

Would a hat like that be accurate? I have seen similar hats in pictures from the 30s and the New Look era, but where would you put it in?
Where can I find something very similar?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I can haz hat! My very first vintage hat purchase, ever. :) I'm not even quite sure if it fits me, but it was at the thrift store right before Halloween, and I wanted to make sure it didn't end up with feathers glued all over it or something. And, it was pretty. :)

BHatTop.jpg

BHat2.jpg

BHat1.jpg

Now I just need the wardrobe to go with it!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, that is my first really nice mint condition hat. There's a place called Black List vintage here in Minneapolis that is hat heaven. the owner had a hat party a few weeks ago and I tried on every one in the store.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the links ShoreRoadLady,

I just snagged a couple of flowered tilt hats recently on evilBy and this was very helpful. I'm very vintage hair -challenged so I'll take all the help I can get;) !

Originally Posted by ShoreRoadLady
The new LIFE photo archive isn't doing any wonders for my productivity!

Look at these three period examples of mismatched hairstyle and hats:

Long bob does not go with new hat styles
Example 2
Example 3

I find this sort of thing fascinating. There were all sorts of little details which, 70 years later, wouldn't occur to us (me, anyway).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
DecoEyes mannequin-lovely

I just got a DecoEyes 1930's era mannequin done in their "waxi-cast" on evilBay- its a beaut! I'm currently displaying my newest (and new favorite) vintage hat on "Mae". I got it for under $275 on auction, but you can order on their website.

[ Originally Posted by Vintage Betty
Do you want new or used? Modern or reproduction?
What is your budget?

For about $300 you can get one from Deco Eyes ]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe