Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage half-belts

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Trapp, That is a great looking jacket. You might try asking Aero if they will re-line it for you. I know they do work on their own jackets, not sure about other makers though.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
october52014-3001_zpsa363d16d.jpg
[/URL]

october52014-3013_zps67104d78.jpg
[/URL]

october52014-3007_zpscc4916cf.jpg
[/URL]

october52014-3015_zps4d2fd244.jpg
[/URL]

This jacket is missing the maker's label but has an old label that reads 'western ranch-hide' - whatever that means.

I love the color, the leather, and the fit. I need to get it re-lined (the current coarse red lining is unbearable) - any suggestions for nice patterns appropriate for this style would be appreciated. The cooler the better. Leaning towards a cotton flannel but may end up with just a utilitarian black cotton drill.

Aero's berry cotton lining would tone nicely with this jacket, I reckon.

trapp

Practically Family
I live a few blocks from Johnson Leathers so they're going to do the re-lining. I just need a few ideas to bring in with me when I go look fabric options. Aero's cotton berry is a great suggestions. Thx!

trapp

Practically Family
A humble question on what defines a half-belt....

Are jackets that feature a sewn-in belt in back but then a true belt extending from the sides and clasping in front considered half-belts? Or are those considered fully-belted jackets (and thus a different species?)

My understanding is that the Half-belt has the sewn on back piece and side adjustment straps.
If there is a channel for a belt, or buttons to attach belt pieces, you've got a belted jacket with possible missing parts.

Edward

Bartender
A humble question on what defines a half-belt....

Are jackets that feature a sewn-in belt in back but then a true belt extending from the sides and clasping in front considered half-belts? Or are those considered fully-belted jackets (and thus a different species?)

Interesting question... You mean something akin to that which we see on a Schott Perfecto / other, similar motorcycle styles? In point of fact, I believe those tend to be two separate pieces, not one belt - like a grat, big buckle. I've seen those referred to as 'half belts', which I suppose makes sense, though I wouldn't really consider them to be the same genre of jackets as we understand to mean "halfbelt" round here (which typically isn't a belt at all, really.... strictly speaking...). I'd agree with Handymike that a jacket with a "channel" at the back allowing a full beltg to be run through it is neither a Halfbelt, not a jacket that has half a belt on it...

trapp

Practically Family
I don't mean like a Schott Perfecto, where the 'belt' in back is right at the bottom of the jacket and where the style in general is more of a dedicated moto style. I feel like there is an implicit understanding that a half-belt features a rear sewn-in belt piece that is somewhere in the middle of the back (middle being very interpretive - as long as there is some panel of leather below the belt rather than the belt being right at the bottom).

I mean like the jacket I posted in this thread a few pages back (bottom of p14).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe