Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

Flivver

Practically Family
StraightEight said:
It's delightful, it's de-lovely, it's our new 1958 Desoto, with the look and feel of the future!

And we need a whole new wardrobe.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

That's a great looking DeSoto!

My Dad fell in love with the '58 DeSoto Fireflite. But he never got around to buying one.

As Groucho Marx said... "Drive a DeSoto then decide".

Papa Smurf

Familiar Face
My dad's 1930 Ford Model A pickup

Not mine, but my dad is about 90% done restoring it. It sat in pieces in our yard and garage for about 20 years. My dad's uncle owned it originally. (the dates on the pictures are wrong, these are from about a month ago.)
ModelAAlmostComplete7-16-09006.jpg

ModelAAlmostComplete7-16-09009.jpg

MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Only Driven by a Little Old Lady...

Yes, it really was. I just bought this '87 Ford Crown Victoria from a 92 year old woman who was one of the founders of our local museum. She stopped driving about 10 years ago, but faithfully started her beloved "Vicky" and drove it around the block once a month. It's been garaged all its life and has only 32,000 original miles. I didn't really need another car, but she likes me and really wanted me to have it - and for 300 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. I don't intend to use it as a daily driver, but it'll be a great cushy cruiser for long road trips.

CrownVic1.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Well the 4-nager in my Coupe isn't running to great. this comes as no suprise, as I didn't rebuild it at all so it's exactly as it was when it was rebuilt years and years ago (sometime in the 50's I'd imagine). My long-term plan for my coupe is to build a late 50's style hotrod, so I picked up a 395 Oldsmobile engine a few months back. I was going to have the engine in my A rebuilt this winter, but found out it was going to be $3000. Thats about $2000 more then I want to spend, as I still need to rebuild the Olds mill. So...what is a guy to do when it's time to face the facts? Spend money on an engine I don't really plan on running for much longer? Put aside my Olds mill and run the banger? Nope and nope.

You decide to blow the coupe back apart and start from scratch. This winter I'll be starting my V8 swap, so it's going to be a looooong time before the 'ol gal gets to see the road again.

Now, all of us vintage vehicle fans realise how hard it is to get into a modern car or truck every day. I get into my '96 Chev and it feels so...wrong...

So I solved said problem:

IMG_0559.jpg

And picked up a '59 GMC for myself :)

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Still here. My wife and I spent a Saturday rearranging the garage to fit in the DeSoto. Just had the Buick's radio rebuilt. Amazingly, you can buy a brand new, solid state vibrator for a 1948 Buick radio for $39.

DSC_0124.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
StraightEight said:
Still here. My wife and I spent a Saturday rearranging the garage to fit in the DeSoto. Just had the Buick's radio rebuilt. Amazingly, you can buy a brand new, solid state vibrator for a 1948 Buick radio for $39.

DSC_0124-1.jpg

On old Buick parts or on eBay?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I said new with vintage featured, my car Daisy is a 2000 Yellow VW Bug. The way I see it it's just a re-do of an old car that was invented in WW2(this isn't Daisy but it's what she looks like)
VW-Beetle-Yellow-400.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom said:
How do you get around? Do you have a modern means of conveyence or do you prefer to have something that fits your personality?

I have a couple vehicles, but only drive one daily, as the rest are ongoing projects. My daily driver is a piece of Americana in my own opinion. She's a 1987 Chevy Caprice Estate Station Wagon, one look and it'll take you back to the old days :)
GrandmaAndGrandpaVisit035.jpg

My next one to be road worthy is a beautiful 1958 Chevy Del-Ray which I bought from my dad and is going through a lot of work. I am in the midst of the installation of the Engine and Transmission, which are in, but I am still plumbing them, hopefull she'll be on the road soon.
seniorpics010.jpg

Another one, that the engine was sent out to be professionally built is this 1957 Chevy 210 4-Door. Which is my Dad's, but you can bet I'll be driving it!
seniorpics007-1.jpg

And finally, my Mom's 1952 Ford F-2 Pickup. Hope there's some Automobile Aficianado's who will enjoy these.
ModelAand52Ford025.jpg

Thanks!
Wow I love the second car you have it is fabulous. I am such a dork I would love to have one and paint it teal and put leopard print inside. I know that's not very vintage but like I daid dork.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
On the way to the Goodwood Revival we did a little detour through France. So here are some photos of our 1956 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire in Bretagne (Brittany):

Before the rain:
sapphire_8538s.jpg

After the rain:
sapphire_8570s.jpg

Close-up of jet-engined Sphinx mascot and Cap Frehel lighthouse:
sapphire_8563s.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
StraightEight said:
That mascot is a hoot. Wonder who came up with the inspiration to fit jet engines to the Sphinx.

The Sphinx had always been the mascot for Armstrong Siddeley motor cars. Adding jet engines is owed to the "zeitgeist" of that time - and the fact that the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire jet engine of the late 40s/early 50s became the eponym of the Sapphire motor car. The Sapphire jet engine was used on aircraft such as the Hawker Hunter, it was also licensed to the USA as Wright J-65.

Cheers,
Tom

Levallois

Practically Family
Sapphire said:
On the way to the Goodwood Revival we did a little detour through France. So here are some photos of our 1956 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire in Bretagne (Brittany):

Before the rain:
sapphire_8538s.jpg

After the rain:
sapphire_8570s.jpg

Close-up of jet-engined Sphinx mascot and Cap Frehel lighthouse:
sapphire_8563s.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Beautiful scenery and beautiful car! Is that a residence on the small island in the backround?

John

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
John,

looking at Google Maps I found out that this is the "Fort du Guesclin", which is only accessible at low tide. It has originally been built in the 11th century. Have to admit though that I was not aware of that place when I took the photo ;) .

Tom

Papa Smurf

Familiar Face
1930 Ford Model A Pickup

I visited my dad this weekend and got to drive his 1930 Model A for the first time, pretty exciting. All he has left to do is the interior. Here are some pictures of the occasion.
Payson016.jpg

Here I am sitting in the driver seat wearing a 1930's driving cap courtesy of Garrett.

Payson014.jpg

Here is my dad with the B!Wear 8-panel I bought for him.

Payson037.jpg

Here is the whole family.

Payson007.jpg

Me standing by the truck.

Payson011.jpg

Me, my brother, and my dad in the cab.

Here is the truck by itself:
Payson001.jpg

Payson001.jpg

Payson032.jpg

Professor

A-List Customer
StraightEight said:
It's delightful, it's de-lovely, it's our new 1958 Desoto, with the look and feel of the future!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/f53BJ_zZ17c&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/f53BJ_zZ17c&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe