Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Nice finds Eddie. I like the graphics on the Tootal, and the black & white knitted tie is a real catch And of course, I have a fondness for all things plaid and that tie is no exception. Great colors.

Thanks dh66! I've been lucky recently. I'm a big fan of that knitted one too. Can't wait to wear it with a nice tall double-round collar.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
That will look sharp!
I had a few back when I was younger, not sure where they ended up. I like the texture they provide. Always thought they looked good with a tweed jacket, not so much with a suit, although that black and white one could work if the suit fabric weren't too smooth.

Hello Ladies and Gents,

jamespowers - Very nice. The one on the right reminds me of a chocolate ice-cream with a waffle cone.

Here are some of my more recent finds:
'Soie' made in France. With electric lining! I'm thinking 1960s, but in a classic shape.

And a horse-motif Tootal 'Green Quality' in banana yellow and red. The highlight of the crowd!

Thanks for looking!

Now that you mention it, it does look like an upside down waffle cone. Now I am hungry. :p

Soie means silk in French so you have a decent silk tie. :D

You can't go wrong with a horse tie. :D

Dh66 - Ah that's a good shout. I've got a nice 3 piece grey tweed that it'll go well with. They are a great texture as you say, and are a welcome break from the usual.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Oh yes...a tweed suit would rock it. That hadn't even crossed my mind......because it's such a warm climate here that no one ever wears them. They are the privilege of you cooler weather cats.

Rodney

Familiar Face
JP you're starting to make a believer out of me on the bold tie front. Some of the ties you've shown in the last few days are just awesome.

How many ugly polyester modern ties do you guys have to sort through on average to find one good one?
Rodney

JP you're starting to make a believer out of me on the bold tie front. Some of the ties you've shown in the last few days are just awesome.

How many ugly polyester modern ties do you guys have to sort through on average to find one good one?
Rodney

Certainly a fair amount. :p

The ties I posted are the Ties of Distinction that I consider evocative of the time period. From 1946 to 1951 was the tie renaissance. At no other time were tie patterns so varied and open to new designs. In fact, the tie manufacturers here were turning out new tie designs either weekly or monthly depending on the brand. They got so that the manufacturers were soliciting designs from the public and artists to meet the demand. :D

This 1951 Wembley ad has some really nice ties that I particularly like---Ties with a white background:
wembley+ties.jpg

I love the White Look. :p

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks TT - I hadn't thought of it as being horse and foal. I need to get a cream/white tattersall check waistcoat now to go with it.

And sorry to hear you're not having the best weather! It's been glorious up here for the last couple of weeks. I'm sure it won't last long though!

jamespowers - I like the Wembley advert. Those ties are crazy! They look like ornamental vases!

Thanks TT - I hadn't thought of it as being horse and foal. I need to get a cream/white tattersall check waistcoat now to go with it.

And sorry to hear you're not having the best weather! It's been glorious up here for the last couple of weeks. I'm sure it won't last long though!

jamespowers - I like the Wembley advert. Those ties are crazy! They look like ornamental vases!

Ties don't have to be dull looking. :p

The weather stinks here too by the way. :p It is raining right now.......:doh:

Today's finds
aad48d082091327f620b8dd56fb26ba6.jpg

1f83f3392f413e299bce0be7821b3ac2.jpg

This one should get me a spot in the BBTC, only I'm not British. This one's a Welchmargetson. It's so ghastly boring it might not have a reflection in a mirror, but it IS my old university school colors, so for 25¢ I figured I'd bring it along.

Also nabbed this Levy Bros. I really dig the texture on this one.
d2ff674cb22e6c5af0f8ea6827d8f96a.jpg

d4582df86f39bdeb8816fa2ad69b95be.jpg

66fbf84720bd10fb30994c9f51b8dd65.jpg

And....the first Countess Mara in my collection.
7d638a614470144e3ede8c0a2657b15e.jpg

7f24f260efe6375aac01dbdcf6fbe3a1.jpg

On the back this one is titled 'serenity'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe