Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
JP, that's a nice bunch there; I might have to have a go as well, although I'm sure they'll sell for way more than I'm willing to pay. For instance, take a look at this lot about to sell, currently at $150 shipped for 160 supposedly 1920's-1950's. I see some not-so vintage stragglers in there, and I only see about 8 worth putting around my neck, and those appear to have a lot of moth holes and stains. What a price for rags.:p
$_57.JPG

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 110

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's why I don't buy lots unless I intend to wear most, if not all of the ties. You'd just end up with a bunch that you may not care for. If in the above picture, those are the eight that you mentioned, they don't look bad to me.

What DO you do with the duds in a lot, if that's how you buy them. Wear 'em anyway? Kick 'em to the thrifty? Dump 'em back in the bay and hope to recoup some of what you spent?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
What DO you do with the duds in a lot, if that's how you buy them. Wear 'em anyway? Kick 'em to the thrifty? Dump 'em back in the bay and hope to recoup some of what you spent?

I have never thrown a tie away, or donated/sold one. Fortunately, I have also never encountered a lot that had a tie I wouldn't wear. There are some ties in my collection I may wear a little less often than I would others, but nothing I absolutely wouldn't wear. That includes my several modern ties.

Annixter

Practically Family
That's why I don't buy lots unless I intend to wear most, if not all of the ties. You'd just end up with a bunch that you may not care for. If in the above picture, those are the eight that you mentioned, they don't look bad to me.

Those are about the best looking, but if you zoom in, most have stains and a couple look peppered with holes. Even if they were immaculate, I couldn't justify spending $150 for those eight and a bunch I don't want.

Annixter

Practically Family

The couple times, usually at flea markets, where I've had to purchase a tie lot at a good price in order to get some ties I wanted, I've more than once ended up sending the duds to the thrift store if I couldn't either sell them or give them away elsewhere. The way I see it, and I'm happy for my situation, I have enough ties I love wearing that I don't much care to bother with keeping one's I'm not excited about just because they are vintage, nor do I have the closet space anymore. I feel bad sending them back into the unknown fray of thrift stores, but hopefully someone who loves them gets them--or maybe they end up in the kind of 160-tie auction I reference above after the moths have at them for years?:p

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've had a few come through my hands in lots that are dudds like a Harris tweed one where only the label was of use and a few silk ones that bled badly even when hand washed at a very cool temperature and then the problem of ironing some early man made fibres(not rayon)....so now I only buy wool, cotton, rayon or immaculate silk.....how do folks on here iron without getting construction marks coming through to the front blade btw?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've had a few come through my hands in lots that are dudds like a Harris tweed one where only the label was of use and a few silk ones that bled badly even when hand washed at a very cool temperature and then the problem of ironing some early man made fibres(not rayon)....so now I only buy wool, cotton, rayon or immaculate silk.....how do folks on here iron without getting construction marks coming through to the front blade btw?

Which of those man-made materials were you thinking of? Polyester, dacron, and acetate?

.....how do folks on here iron without getting construction marks coming through to the front blade btw?

Somewhere (and I want to say it was here on the Fedora lounge) I have seen a little paddle shaped object that was thin and tapered, which was meant to be inserted inside the tie when ironing, to prevent this. I have had no luck finding such a thing, nor even finding the picture of it again, but I think I am going to cut one out of cardboard the next time I get hold of an old box. I figure I'll lay the tie on it and trace around it for a pattern, then cut it a little smaller to fit inside. It would only need to be long enough to get up to where the knot would be, the part that shows when worn, if seam marks showed through on the rest it wouldn't be such s big deal.

If any of you are the one who posted such a thing, Thanks, and maybe you could post it again.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Mainly the Trevira ones, i guess a pressing cloth would help....I have in fact made a tapering 'blade' out of art card but it needs to be longer or I need others in varying angles and widths it works up to a point, I am thinking of making another and padding it out so the edges are smoother....I have no problem with wool or rayon as they always seem to wash and iron fine though the rayon usually need the blade inserting.

Somewhere (and I want to say it was here on the Fedora lounge) I have seen a little paddle shaped object that was thin and tapered, which was meant to be inserted inside the tie when ironing, to prevent this. I have had no luck finding such a thing, nor even finding the picture of it again, but I think I am going to cut one out of cardboard the next time I get hold of an old box. I figure I'll lay the tie on it and trace around it for a pattern, then cut it a little smaller to fit inside. It would only need to be long enough to get up to where the knot would be, the part that shows when worn, if seam marks showed through on the rest it wouldn't be such s big deal.

If any of you are the one who posted such a thing, Thanks, and maybe you could post it again.

How about a necktie iron:
$_12.JPG

I have a few of these. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe