Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Thank you, I bookmarked that page!

I now bought a new lot of four black ties, two solid 4 inch wide ones and two narrow 2.5 to 2.25 inches crochet knit ties. Take a look at the link for more pictures and the labels. The two wide ties are Best Black 100% Wool Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. ties. The two narrow ones are Burt-Knit English Crochet and California Fashioned Jacquard Crochet ties. When are these four ties dated, '40s, '50s?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161304910801?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I like the pattern on that knit tie! The black-on-black makes it just subtle enough...

I own a knitted tie that I believe is 1920's (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13274-What-are-you-wearing-today&p=1831946&viewfull=1#post1831946) and it's not quite as neatly knit as yours. That combined with the price of 2,50 I think 50's would be right.. Here's a page from a 1920 catalog with two knit ties, they cost either 65 cents or 1 dollar: http://archive.org/stream/eatons19202100eatouoft#page/n309/mode/1up At least I always assume this type of ties was only popular in the 20s and 50s... Regarding the other one, I have no idea...

Annixter

Practically Family
On the subject of 'boring' ties:

For much of the year I wear a waistcoat. What would be the point of a 'bold' tie with pictorial scenes if no one is going to see them?

I think some people, like JP, wear bold even with a waistcoat because they develop a rash if exposed to less-than-bold ties.:p

With a waistcoat, I wear either a knot-planned or another bold tie with good graphics up near the knot to add a little pop to my attire that reflects my personality.

I think some people, like JP, wear bold even with a waistcoat because they develop a rash if exposed to less-than-bold ties.:p

With a waistcoat, I wear either a knot-planned or another bold tie with good graphics up near the knot to add a little pop to my attire that reflects my personality.

That and I Know what boring lurks near the hearts of men---even under vests. :p

You do what I do. A knot-planned tie is not going to be smothered by a vest. :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I like the pattern on that knit tie! The black-on-black makes it just subtle enough...

I own a knitted tie that I believe is 1920's (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13274-What-are-you-wearing-today&p=1831946&viewfull=1#post1831946) and it's not quite as neatly knit as yours. That combined with the price of 2,50 I think 50's would be right.. Here's a page from a 1920 catalog with two knit ties, they cost either 65 cents or 1 dollar: http://archive.org/stream/eatons19202100eatouoft#page/n309/mode/1up At least I always assume this type of ties was only popular in the 20s and 50s... Regarding the other one, I have no idea...

Thank you! I think 1950s is correct for that particular tie (and 1920s for yours), but I'm not sure about the rest. I could see the regular wool ties being either '40s or early '50s, even though no length had been mentioned. I'm not sure if those are 1930s or older. As for the other knit tie, I am not very sure, as that one has a much more common weave. I doubt it's from after the 1960s, though.

Today's finds.
Tried somewhere new.
Something for everyone.
c56a1e296c63c77e0c20eb54d9a66eaf.jpg

124156fe4474aed7a1570f22ddc51269.jpg

The knot planned one is in pretty horrific shape, but it's a big fat 40s knot planned for a buck so I couldn't pass it up. Even in it's sad condition it will make a good drinking tie.
The skinnier brocade tie is early 30s or maybe even older. Unlined, Berkley brand. I couldn't find much info about Berkley ties, other than there were Berkley knitting mills in Philadelphia and Chicago, and Berkley, VA. and at least the one in PA was listed as producinng silk neckties. The store, Loveman, Joseph, & Loeb, operated in Birmingham, AL, from 1887 until 1935. The Loveman of the equation continued to operate a department store here until the early 80s
d285545255759d408eb230a7ba319784.jpg

c6632085307c3e35ee62a446edccc395.jpg

Here's some up close of the brocade. I figured some of you guys would dig it. It's not really my thing, but it seemed a shame to abandon it there with all the crappy modern cast-offs.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The top left tie....hahahalol ! Private Investigator tie.....Daniel said it is a Private Investigator's tie, look at it, "I'll be keeping an eye out for you?....right? LOL!

Thanks The Good and LuvMyMan. Yes, it does look like a big ol' eyeball. Makes you wonder what the **** somebody was thinking. Of course, so does the other one I guess.

Today's finds.
Tried somewhere new.
Something for everyone.
c56a1e296c63c77e0c20eb54d9a66eaf.jpg

The knot planned one is in pretty horrific shape, but it's a big fat 40s knot planned for a buck so I couldn't pass it up. Even in it's sad condition it will make a good drinking tie.
The skinnier brocade tie is early 30s or maybe even older. Unlined, Berkley brand. I couldn't find much info about Berkley ties, other than there were Berkley knitting mills in Philadelphia and Chicago, and Berkley, VA. and at least the one in PA was listed as producinng silk neckties. The store, Loveman, Joseph, & Loeb, operated in Birmingham, AL, from 1887 until 1935. The Loveman of the equation continued to operate a department store here until the early 80s

Here's some up close of the brocade. I figured some of you guys would dig it. It's not really my thing, but it seemed a shame to abandon it there with all the crappy modern cast-offs.

That knot-planned tie is awesome! I'll give you $1 fo it. :p

The Good

Call Me a Cab
On eBay, I won a late 1940s (is that right?) rayon tie, although the tag wasn't pictured. It's rust colored. I have a modern navy colored polka dot tie with proportionately similar white polka dots, so I wanted something in another color.

$T2eC16R,!zEE9s3!(YuyBRH+718Muw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iIOUBRH+8P,O3w~~60_57.JPG

Yes, that is a nice one. I really like the way the dots have a pattern in them. Really takes it up a notch.
Nice find, The Good.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! I've also bought a couple of brocade narrow ties, 54" long and 2 1/4" wide. The seller did not provide a picture of the brand, but I've bought two three tie lots from him before, over the last couple of years. I've found them to be nice, fun ties to wear when I'm not after the most formal ties in my collection.

$_57.JPG

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have found it very interesting to learn so much about "Mens" attire from my Husband and of course all you Men that post here often.

I have to wonder how many are as guilty of changing how you view ties now as compared to say, 20 years ago?

Have to ask that as I notice Daniel at one time would mostly wear Versace ties that have some wild colors and patterns. But he now really loves Ties also are on of the finishing touch on a suit or sports coat. Even wearing one with a sweater.

Last edited:
I have to wonder how many are as guilty of changing how you view ties now as compared to say, 20 years ago?

Have to ask that as I notice Daniel at one time would mostly wear Versace ties that have some wild colors and patterns. But he now really loves Ties also are on of the finishing touch on a suit or sports coat. Even wearing one with a sweater.

I used to wear boring striped ties when I was in my teens. I didn't know any better. Nowadays I always wear a bold tie to spice up a dark boring suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe