Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

@jamespowers

lol

Where did I (or anyone else here) ever claim to like only stripes and dots or that I think 30's brocades are "loud" and "garrish"? :eusa_doh:

Either you (again) misread or you are being facetious... :rolleyes:

Of course the brocades you posted are lovely and the kind of tie I prefer. Right era (pre-Bold Look) and elegant.

They are more similar to their brocade/woven stripe and dot brothers from the era than to the printed "Bold Look" ties with quaint duck hunting scenes or cowboys dancing around.

It's those naive, kitschy motif ties that I dislike - geometrical/abstract "Bold Look" ties can be quite nice with the right outfit.

Bah... double standard. If all stripes & dots are the same, so are all cowboys & animals.

Ok, at least that is fairly consistent excluding the scenes etc. At least you'll admit you like bold ties in both eras just not quaint scenes.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why the discussion? Just sell the "boring" ties and keep the whimsical stuff. Problem solved. I would say something about conservative or not... But the politics banned rule keeps me from it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think we've found the compromise: I have no problem with the bold ties, it's just the ones with pictures on them that I draw the line at. And it's also anything that too obviously shouts 'USA late 40s early 1950s' to the general British public.
Here's me wearing one that I love, and regularly wear with a dark blue suit:
outfit-5_zps259baa0a.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Garish:

1. crudely or tastelessly colorful, showy, or elaborate, as clothes or decoration.
2. excessively ornate or elaborate, as buildings or writings.
3. dressed in or ornamented with bright colors.
4. excessively bright; glaring.

$_57.JPG

1) it's not crude or tasteless
2) excessively ornate? possible
3 & 4)it's muted not bright

Make your own mind up folks.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Maybe this will satisfy both camps: conservative on one side and daring on the other!

I was shuffling through the ties at my local thrift and happened to notice this one. A search of peek-a-boo ties suggests this might be Jayne Mansfield??
No maker's label but an RN number search comes back as Carl Neckwear Co. I'm guessing late 50s or early 60s since it's a skinny tie? Two and a half inches wide by 54 inches long. The blue is somewhat iridescent and has tone-on-tone castle towers (with something on the side of them... someone climbing up?), rampant lions, and lions holding flag poles.
P1080350.jpg P1080348.jpg

Maybe this will satisfy both camps: conservative on one side and daring on the other!

I was shuffling through the ties at my local thrift and happened to notice this one. A search of peek-a-boo ties suggests this might be Jayne Mansfield??
No maker's label but an RN number search comes back as Carl Neckwear Co. I'm guessing late 50s or early 60s since it's a skinny tie? Two and a half inches wide by 54 inches long. The blue is somewhat iridescent and has tone-on-tone castle towers (with something on the side of them... someone climbing up?), rampant lions, and lions holding flag poles.
View attachment 20192 View attachment 20193
:eusa_clap

View attachment 20192 View attachment 20193

Good find there! The front of those ties usually have a portend about what is behind it. It is really funny to have the castle with the guy climbing the wall like the Rupenzel story. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe