Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

yzuqabyq.jpg

Perhaps the time traveling hipster (dark shades, crazy hair) told them about pac-man. Or perhaps Pac-Man himself is able to travel through time. Hmmmm......either way it's a cool Wembley

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Good point! It just seems - well how should i put it? - a bit thin and lifeless compared to other ties I own. Mind you, I like it and i'm sure it will get plenty of wear.

Annixter

Practically Family
I haven't posted any of my ties for far too long, but I have been finding more here and there, mostly at thrift stores. I'm going to take pictures over the next few days and post them.

100_3729.JPG

The horse tie comes courtesy of Widebrim and is my first and only horse.
100_3731.JPG

Very nice group of ties. Hard to go wrong with a horse head tie. Fairly inappropriate for most occasions, which makes it perfect for most occasions.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Two Types, that doesn't look like a poor quality tie to me, although I don't know much about tie quality relative to their time periods. That tie still looks nicer than a lot made now. Is it a wool tie? I own a couple of '50s era wool ties (solids, black and red; the black is a military tie) that are very thin feeling. My experience is that mid century ties are generally thin feeling compared to the thicker lined ties made in recent years.

And the ties of the day from Pilgrim:
tiesredbluerustgreen1.jpg

I like all three of those, but my favorite of the group is the red tie with the two arrows.

Annixter, good ties. The ones from the top group are my favorites.

Annixter

Practically Family
Fairly inappropriate for most occasions, which makes it perfect for most occasions.

So true. I would love to time travel to get a better understanding of the social etiquette of ties from a 1940's standpoint. What i mean is, you see photos of politicians wearing bland ties and then photos of many different working-class men wearing vibrant, sometimes outrageous ties, and I wonder what was the understanding within society. Would a politician wearing an artistic, colorful tie suggest immaturity and disrespect? If so, why could other respected people (bankers, educators, etc.) get away with it?

Thanks The Good. Here are some more for the day. The one on the left is a custom jobbie from "Joseph's of San Francisco."

100_3733.JPG

I haven't posted any of my ties for far too long, but I have been finding more here and there, mostly at thrift stores. I'm going to take pictures over the next few days and post them.

View attachment 6041

The horse tie comes courtesy of Widebrim and is my first and only horse.
View attachment 6042

You did fine with all of those. The horse tie is a nice acquisition. I have as many as I can find and wear them. :p

So true. I would love to time travel to get a better understanding of the social etiquette of ties from a 1940's standpoint. What i mean is, you see photos of politicians wearing bland ties and then photos of many different working-class men wearing vibrant, sometimes outrageous ties, and I wonder what was the understanding within society. Would a politician wearing an artistic, colorful tie suggest immaturity and disrespect? If so, why could other respected people (bankers, educators, etc.) get away with it?

Thanks The Good. Here are some more for the day. The one on the left is a custom jobbie from "Joseph's of San Francisco."

View attachment 6069

The banker and the politician usually wore bland stripes, solids and checks. There were some politicians and bankers who liked them loud though. Probably the minority but you have to remember that it was the style of the time so if you could buy it then you could wear it around. Older men also were more likely to link themselves to bland ties. You could see the advertising of ties and even hats of the day reflecting the difference between what younger men wore and what older men wore.
I won't like old man ties no matter how old I get. :p
Modern ties leave us the most bland and boring patterns right now actually. You are less likely to see a banker or politician wearing a tie other than bland than you were in the 40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe