Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

TT, those all look to be "resilient". Upon re-reading the patent, the critical points are the nature and cutting of the lining materials, and the way in which the longest seam (that runs from thin and to fat end to join the whole thing together) is finished. In the resilient ties, this seam is loosely stitched together, and this stitching also secures the lining pieces. In this way (so claimed), when pulled and adjusted, the whole tie stretched together, and then relaxed when the strain was released, reducing the tendency for seams and fabric to rip. In the days before the popularity of this method of construction/securing, the whole thing used to be machine stitched together down this long seam, with the tie "inside out". The tie would then be turned and pressed into shape for sale. British ties are frequently seen made like that (it's a much cheaper method of manufacture) even up into the 60s. This is seen only in the cheapest US ties from the late 20s onwards.

The box of stitching you frequently see (even on many "resilient" ties) negates any advantage of the resilient construction, by introducing an obstacle to the uniform stretching of the tie when being tied.

More specific to the ties you posted. I'm pretty sure the Burton's Poplin line from Beau Brummell is from 1935 and later.

Hello gents,

I'm not great on dating ties and would be interested in your input on dates for these. My guess is 1930s for most of them. It was a batch of five ties that I found on EBay(uk) for less than £1 each. They all need a good clean but at that price, who cares?:

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
What a gorgeous swirl of greens on this one!
And the tie of the day is a J. Galet brand name tie:
$T2eC16RHJGUFFh1W2-9tBRsPkWiY9w~~60_3.JPG

phebus

One of the Regulars
Stumbled across two more ties today.
First, a dog tie. Let me know how old you guys think it is. It's 53 1/2" long, no label.

And this beautiful arrow. I thought was 40's but its about 52 1/4" long, so maybe 50's??

The Arrow is more copper than orange as the pictures would have you believe.

Those big, bold, colourful prints that were very popular in the late 30s and 40s. They are known generically as "Charvet Prints", named after the company that started making them, Charvet et Fils, a bespoke shirtmaker in Paris. A bit like "Stetson" came to symbolise any Western hat, "Charvet" became synonymous with those very very common bold printed neckties, particularly in very fine crepe silks. Most of course were not made by Charvet.

Indulge me with the knowledge of the Charvet Print

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld