Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Another mid-50s Pilgrim with some seasonal colors....

pilgrimgold.jpg
[/IMG]

I never quite understood. Were Cutter Craft and Fashion Craft ones you bought as kits to make at home?

I have a whole bunch of unmade tie kits from this era - silk or rayon quarter blocks with the two ends of the tie printed on them, and a lie to cut. I guess they would originally have come with instructions, and maybe the labels to go in when finished?

I never quite understood. Were Cutter Craft and Fashion Craft ones you bought as kits to make at home?

I have a whole bunch of unmade tie kits from this era - silk or rayon quarter blocks with the two ends of the tie printed on them, and a lie to cut. I guess they would originally have come with instructions, and maybe the labels to go in when finished?

That sounds about right but Cutter was a brand of tie maker on its own. Cutter craft might just have been one of their lines like Van Heusen's Van Cruise. Fashion Craft I have no idea about.
I do know that there were indeed tie kits around back then. I have a tie from a friend of mine that was her husband's. It was done by her with needlepoint to a pattern she bought back then. It had a label just as a factory made tie did too. It came with the package but I think it just said made by hand of some such thing. I'll have to go look for it when I get home tonight. I am sure they had the same kits already cut and just requiring finishing. I actually have a sheet of cloth featuring the girls in swimsuits tie tippers from way back then.
That reminds me. I have to have that framed. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe