Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here are most of my ties. These are the ones I actually wear, the others either need to be ironed or have holes in them and are back home.

ties001.jpg

ties006.jpg

The blue one doesn't have any tags.

ties002.jpg

ties007.jpg

This blue one is cotton and was sold at J.C. Petersons Clothiers, my great great grandpa's clothing store. The brown one is a wool/rayon mix:
ties003.jpg

ties005.jpg

And probably my favorite one. It's silk and I call it my "New Years" tie:
ties004.jpg

ties008.jpg

Anyone care to try to date these ties? Because I'm clueless when it comes to them.
Thanks,
Billy

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here are nine vintage clip-on bow ties I got today, $1 each. I especially like the orange/yellow one at the bottom.
bowties.jpg

I also bought a neat tie hanger. It is triangular in shape with four small folding arms to hang the ties on. It also has a dial and three small windows. Turn the dial to select what color of tie you want to wear and it will tell you what color of shirt and suit to wear with it. It is copyrighted 1937 and has some lovely art deco design on it. I've never seen one like it.

Billy

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Well- I just won a big lot of ties on ebay for pretty cheap. I hope there are some decent ones in it.

Oh, so that was you. :) I was after that lot as well, figured I'd get some gems out of it. Hope you do. :)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
My small vintage tie collection - ever growing, though. There are more on the way. The one narrower one is obviously a bit later (just got it for the hand-painted streetcar), everything else seems more Golden Era. I'm no expert, of course.

vintageties1.jpg

vintageties2.jpg

vintageties3.jpg

That one towards the left with the frayed end is just about falling apart, and I really never wear it, but I just can't stand to let it go.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Part of the "Benny Holiday Collection"

I'm seeing some very neat ties here - Atomic Glee, I like your style!

Here are some of my favourites collected over the years:

Ties6.jpg

Ties7.jpg

Ties9.jpg

Ties8.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's the one I got on vacation. It came from the same shop in PA I got most of the hats from. It's a pilgrim genuine acetate cravat. It has quite a sheen to it.

Now, Toronto was vintage tie land. So many '20s- '40s ties I've never seen in my life, there must have been close to a thousand vintage ties within one city block of shops. The going rate for one was 15 or 20 bucks each, no matter what store you went into, so I didn't buy any.

IMG_3104.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
It's so rare that I find a 1940s ties anymore that it makes my day when I do. This is from the local Goodwill today. I had to dig through a bin of 100 ties to come up with it.

pipetie.jpg
[/IMG]

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Glee said:
My small vintage tie collection - ever growing, though. There are more on the way. The one narrower one is obviously a bit later (just got it for the hand-painted streetcar), everything else seems more Golden Era. I'm no expert, of course.

vintageties2.jpg

That one towards the left with the frayed end is just about falling apart, and I really never wear it, but I just can't stand to let it go.

The third from the left really jumps out a you. I actually have the red and yellow one on the right. Does it say 'dots and dashes' on the back of it?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
The third from the left really jumps out a you. I actually have the red and yellow one on the right. Does it say 'dots and dashes' on the back of it?

Third from the left is just about my favorite. It really stands out.

The red & yellow one has two identifications on the back - a tag for Malibu in California, and the words "Grecian Geometrics."

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My lot of ties came in the other week. Most were junk, but enough were good that I've run out of space on my tie rack in my closet. Instead of paying for another bland coat-hanger tie rack, I picked this up on ebay for two bucks.

830b_1.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Tie Rack

Funny you should mention that! I just bought this Burmese teak 1960s thing.

Can anyone tell me where the ties go?

Is it made for the thin ties a la 1940s and 1960s? Do the ties have to go through the loop ends?

Please advise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust