Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Feraud said:
I wouldn't handle my non-crush ties as depicted in the ad. lol

I am surprised you didn't notice my tie pricing thing. Cheap ties were actually somewhere in the order of 44 and 69 cents from Ward's. You can find ads where they had silk lined ties in 1937 for 44 cents each. The 69 cent ties had moire fabrics and other silkish materials. ;) I'll take two dozen of each at that price. :p
Sears also price matched Ward's. You could get three "Pure dye silk with real vigin wool interlining. Near Wrinkle Proof as a Tie Be" for $2.85. :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I just got in the 20th Century Neckties Pre-1955 book by Roseann Ettinger. It has plenty of photos with some pretty old prices for the ties pictured. I would likely buy a few of them for what she prices them. ;) :p
Perhaps a lot has changed since 1998. :D
I highly recommend it just for the pictures so you can get an idea of what the ties look like from the eras listed.

Hey, I'm glad that you received the book. It is a good resource, even if the prices are not necessarily representative. Now make sure you bring your copy to the Queen Mary...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this at a yard sale yesterday. Someone hand-painted the ties. I'm guessing it's late-20s/early-30s.
brothers100.jpg
[/IMG]

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
It's hard to describe. It's eight inches top to bottom. It is in a 'frame' with a metal back, a plastic (?) cover and an unknown cushioning underneath. On the back it says 'Arostoli, Arthur & Bill, Taken in Greece' (so you are correct about it being European). It's a sepia print with watercolors brushed on to the neckties.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Three SUITED Amigos

Quigley Brown said:
I found this at a yard sale yesterday. Someone hand-painted the ties. I'm guessing it's late-20s/early-30s.
brothers100.jpg
[/IMG]

Seeing the pocket FLAP on the man to the left makes me feel 1930's

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

PS Hey QUIG based on your avatar data your BACK in Frederick again? :D

Widebrim said:
^^Yeah, there was quite a variety of prices available in the '30s. I've got two deadstock ties from that decade, still with the 25c price tag on them.

25 cents?! Geez, what are they made of? Paper? :p lol lol
44 cents is about as low as I have seen in ads but I am sure there were cheaper ties out there during the depression. I mean 25 cents was what some people were making per hour then and they were happy to get it. [huh] If I had to work an hour for every tie I own, I would never be able to retire! :eusa_doh: :p

Marla

A-List Customer
I don't actually wear ties, but here is a recent thrift store acquisition:
4596533783_a01371bf88.jpg

4596537707_1585062f5e.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of its age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken