Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's how it should work -- press shift-lock, and it holds both keys down and the carriage in the upper-case position. Press shift down beyond the point where it's locked, and it should release.

There should be a small nub on the Shift key bar that engages the Shift-Lock hook -- you can't really see it from the outside, but it's there -- unless it's worn down on yours enough to slip off before it catches. Or there might be some fuzz or crud in the little hook that's keeping it from sliding into position. Maybe try taking a toothpick or a fine-pointed pin and scrape around a little in there and see if you can dislodge anything. Moisten the toothpick with alcohol to act as a solvent if there's old grease in there.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The trip was...um...eventful, shall we say. The wedding was alright, but I couldn't wait to leave. I hate having to attend events where I don't know anyone at all. I feel like an idiot. Otherwise, it was fine.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
My Eversharp Reporter ballpoint pen

7995624215_6fd9d121ea_z.jpg

I have it in my shirt pocket every day.

Last edited:
The next door neighbor was giving away leftover stuff from his garage sale the previous day. Being the first one there, I got the pick of the litter---free. A Mix Master from the 50s. Some glassware from the same era,a few boxes of REAL lightbulbs, miterbox, some various hardware items, a large fan etc. :p I took all I could carry---then sent my wife over. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Anyone else collecting old soaps? These are from 70s/80s.
I don't collect soap, but I did stumble across this the other day while digging through my stuff. It was a gift from my sister for Christmas back in the 70s, before most people had even heard of Lamborghini, and could not tell the difference between a Countach or a 512!
IMG_4379.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg
IMG_4387.jpg

2012-09-25%252023.25.21.jpg

Apologize for the crummy photo for this one. I put it in the garage at my parents' house, since it picked up our favorite station real well.
2012-09-23%252020.31.56.jpg

Two of my favorites from the era: Andy Williams and Lawrence Welk.
2012-09-25%252023.26.25.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
My latest purchase!:
The Shift-Lock key doesn't work, but otherwise, it's mechanically perfect and ready for action. It's a 1920s Underwood Standard Portable typewriter :)

I suspect it needs a new ribbon, or something. But otherwise, it's fine. I shall post a typing-sample in the fullness of time.

EDIT - Figured out what the ribbon-problem was! The guy who sold me the typewriter accidentally installed it the wrong way around! Since rectified and typing wonderfully!!

Congrats, Shangas! She's a real beauty, that one! :D I know you've been wanting one for ages, so it must be nice to finally have it. Did you take my advice about doing a blog post on it and scanning the result? :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have done a blog-post about it, but I haven't done a "typecast" on it.

For those not in the know, typecasting is the process of typing up a blog-posting, scanning it, and uploading it to one's blog.

In more recent news, I bought a pair of theatre-glasses. They're quite powerful, very handsome, and covered in (probably fake) Mother-of-Pearl or some other similar material. They have a nickel-looking finish on them. If anyone knows how to determine real M.o.P from fake, reliably, let me know.

I just finished pulling them all apart. I cleaned the lenses and blew out the dust. Then I put a couple of drops of oil inside them, to oil the focusing mechanism. It was QUITE STIFF!! It's now sliding in and out smoothly.

Here are the glasses. The first set of photos is with the glasses in their compact state:

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

And they look like this, when they're extended for use:

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

A couple of dents on the lens-edges, but otherwise, in good condition as you can see.

I don't know how old they are, or who made them. They're not marked, or dated in any way. But I think they're just stunning!

Next time I go to the theater, I shall take them with me!

--- --- --- ---

They cost me just $20.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
About two months ago, I purchased a Singer 128 hand-crank machine at a market in London...

DSC05312.jpg

That's what it looked like when I got it back to the hotel in the West End. All grummy and grimy and dirty, with bits missing and...yeah.

It JUST arrived back home in Australia! I've cleaned it, oiled it, and I replaced the missing plate at the front of the machine. It now looks like this:

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The replacement slide-plate is NOT a SINGER ORIGINAL, as you'll notice, but it fits the slot, so I'm happy!

This beauty is from 1936 :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe