Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Loaned one my coolers (one I bought new at regular retail a couple of years ago, which pained me deeply, but desperate circumstances sometimes demand drastic measures) and some blocks of Blue Ice to a friend on Friday. Better go ask after it.

I routinely clean these sorts of things with a weak bleach solution before I put 'em to use. The spigots especially are prone to harboring germs, or so I've been told. A couple of gallons of water (I think that's what it holds) and a cup or so of bleach, let it sit for, oh, 10 minutes, and then let it all drain through the tap. Rinse it out and let it dry.

I have one of those coolers as well but the one I was cleaning was a simple plastic jobber like this:
AAAAC04-A-gAAAAAABcxxw.jpg

My regular go to is like this:
coleman-cooler-2.jpg

After I obtained the metal one, the plastic one got thrown aside but I have some particular guests who want Ice in everything so I cleaned up the other one for just ice----in ice buckets. :p

I will use that cleaning regime for the metal one though. Sounds like a good idea. I normally use boiling water. I got both at garage sales for about $3 each. :p

There's something to be said for those more recently made all-plastic jobs -- no rust, lighter weight, wheels (on some of 'em), etc. -- but I wonder how many of 'em will still be in use 30 or 40 or 50 years from now. And they don't make anywhere near as good a picnic bench as the good ol' steel ones, either.

There's something to be said for those more recently made all-plastic jobs -- no rust, lighter weight, wheels (on some of 'em), etc. -- but I wonder how many of 'em will still be in use 30 or 40 or 50 years from now. And they don't make anywhere near as good a picnic bench as the good ol' steel ones, either.

They are lighter that is true. They do have two handles on them though and that is what children are good for. :p
The plastic one I have already has a crack in the plastic on one side. Not bad but I doubt it will last another fifty years. :p
I would love to find the matching water cooler for my vintage one though:
$(KGrHqQOKj!E5WtmYPrIBO,(vzqF)Q~~60_3.JPG

The problem that everyone complains about with the plastic coolers is the plastic hinges always wear out.

A friend of mine fixed that though---screwed on a pair of brass hinges. :p

I bet that for everyone so resourceful as your friend there are at least 10 others who would just throw the cooler away. That's only 40 bucks or so in the landfill, right?

I just looked online and saw that Coleman still makes a steel-cased cooler. It looks pretty much like the ones they made decades ago. But they cost $133. Knowing that, I'll be on the lookout for used ones. I'm guessing that with fall coming on they'll be going for a bit less.

I bet that for everyone so resourceful as your friend there are at least 10 others who would just throw the cooler away. That's only 40 bucks or so in the landfill, right?

I just looked online and saw that Coleman still makes a steel-cased cooler. It looks pretty much like the ones they made decades ago. But they cost $133. Knowing that, I'll be on the lookout for used ones. I'm guessing that with fall coming on they'll be going for a bit less.

The hinges will likely outlast the cooler though. :p

They make a "steel belted" cooler. Looks kind of wierd. It has the same texture as the plastic ones.:rolleyes::eusa_doh: I want just a plain metal without texture. Fortunately they are fairly plentiful out here at garage sales for a few bucks. Let's see----$5 or $133. Uh yeah---$5 works for me. :p

The hinges will likely outlast the cooler though. :p

They make a "steel belted" cooler. Looks kind of wierd. It has the same texture as the plastic ones.:rolleyes::eusa_doh: I want just a plain metal without texture. Fortunately they are fairly plentiful out here at garage sales for a few bucks. Let's see----$5 or $133. Uh yeah---$5 works for me. :p

They say this one here is "steel belted," and the description goes on to say says it has a steel case. Maybe that's what they mean by "steel belted"?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000112&categoryid=8501&brand=

Can't say I recall ever encountering one of these later-model jobs in real life. This picture from the Coleman website shows that surface texture clearer than what I saw on the Amzon.com page. Gotta question the thinking behind adding the textured surface. I'd think that a more "traditional" (for lack of a better word) look would be a selling point.

It turns out that $133 was the lowest price found through Amazon. The regular retail is more like $150, with some retailers asking upwards of $170. Armed with that knowledge, I might be willing to go a few bucks higher at a garage sale than I would have yesterday.

Last edited:
This one here is "steel belted" as well, but the description goes on to say says it has a steel case. Maybe that's what they mean by "steel belted"?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...l=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1786&bih=871&um

Can't say I recall ever encountering one of these later-model jobs in real life, and it's kinda hard to tell from the picture just what the surface is like. Gotta question the thinking behind adding the textured surface. I;d think that a more "traditional" (for lack of a better word) look would be a selling point.

I don't know how well this photo will show it but the steel belted jobs have a kind of rippled finish in this picture if you look closely at it.
coleman-steel-belted.png

I know well how it is to clean the outside of the rippled plastic ones.:eusa_doh: This won't be much easier. Leave it to them to screw up a classic that they stopped making less than 16 years ago.:rolleyes:
I bet it has plastic hinges too. :eusa_doh:
$170?!:faint2:

Last edited:

TackCollector

Familiar Face
Nice scores, by the way. Whaddya suppose the original owner of that sofa and chair set paid for it?

Thanks. :) It's not the cheap stuff, and back in 1995-1996 sofas like that were going for about $3000 to $3500 at the best furniture store in Charleston, WV. I can't say what it was selling for elsewhere.

DNO

One Too Many
Today's thrift store find...Crown Ducal trio (plus additional cups and saucers), late '20's to late '30's. We're going to return tomorrow to see if the plates emerge from the back room!

IMG_5902.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe