Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I used to have some really great slip-on dress shoes. I don't know what happened to them, but they were pretty great. I'll see if I have a picture of them somewhere...

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Australian ones.. no idea how they arrived here. I wonder if the 1978 is the year of manufacture.
20110805-vintagestuffs-8.jpg

20110805-vintagestuffs-10.jpg

cool, I picked up a pair of Rampling & Halls for $5 from an op shop a while back. Mine are bluchers though.

Yours are only the second pair I've ever seen, and cookie's link is the only information I've been able to find about them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I found these last week. With double insoles, they fit pretty well. They're extremely light, flexible, and comfortable.
DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029-2.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
These are from this weekend. They looked pretty shabby when I picked them up, so I gave them large trees pushed in to open the creases, Saphir, 24 hours of rest, and a clear coat of Kiwi. Unfortunately, while I can cram my feet into them, walking is a bit of an issue. I'll have to measure them to determine the size, but I'm guessing at a wide 10.5/11.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0012-4.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0022-4.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
These are from this weekend. They looked pretty shabby when I picked them up, so I gave them large trees pushed in to open the creases, Saphir, 24 hours of rest, and a clear coat of Kiwi. Unfortunately, while I can cram my feet into them, walking is a bit of an issue. I'll have to measure them to determine the size, but I'm guessing at a wide 10.5/11.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0012-4.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0022-4.jpg

Great looking longwings, Lefty. Love the color.

Kabel

Familiar Face
I did couldn't find a place to post them, but I had to post these. Not yet in my possesion, but I will have these boots.
Sold at a general shoe fashion store in the Netherlands. Was very suprised to see a shoe like this in there.

181751r.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Anybody have an age guesstimate on these? Cookie, I know you're the man who knows shoes. What do you think?

026.jpg

023.jpg

033.jpg

024.jpg

I think my call of late 1930s is pretty right going on the price of the shoes (USD3.95) and this ad from Benny Holiday

Those shoes were stored in a box with a lid and that is what has saved them from rotting. You can Pecards them inside the buckskin without damage. This will alleviate any dryness in the buckskin.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
My pics of the John McHales (sadly sans Guitar, Glasses & Mood Lighting).\

Sole height is a whopping 5/8 inch & the Welt Edge is a cool 1/4 inch.

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

In all seriousness, all the big welts and thick soles don't mean sh*t unless your quality is there. In terms of construction, the work is top quality & the leather is some of the nicest I've seen. I wonder why some of the Big Name modern makers can't get leather like this. It ages wonderfully & develops a fabulous patina... but WILL NOT CRACK (even without regular polish & conditioning) unless under extreme conditions.

Not bad for 60 years old, I think.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
My newest purchase... and probably my oldest pair of shoes.

I've gone through a couple of hundred vintage shoe ads & am having trouble dating these. The 4 large metal eyelets is very reminiscent of Victorian era boots from the early 1900's, and I haven't found a pic of a pair of shoes with them from the 30's or 40's. I can't find anything about the maker, either. The leather is pretty darn old & feels more like something I'd see in a museum than something I'd put on my feet. I am guessing early 1920's or maybe even late 1910's.

Sadly I didn't take a pic when they first arrived, but the first pic was taken AFTER 15 layers of conditioner were applied over a few days. They were DRYYYYYY. The rest of the pics were taken after some more conditioning & 3 layers of cream polish. I've got some Pecard's (on Cookie's recommendation) coming & expect to work them over the next few months. They are still too dry to wear.

PAGING MARC CHEVALIER!!!!! Anything you can tell us about them?

NOS Howard & Leeds Spades.

IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My pics of the John McHales (sadly sans Guitar, Glasses & Mood Lighting).\

Sole height is a whopping 5/8 inch & the Welt Edge is a cool 1/4 inch.

In all seriousness, all the big welts and thick soles don't mean sh*t unless your quality is there. In terms of construction, the work is top quality & the leather is some of the nicest I've seen. I wonder why some of the Big Name modern makers can't get leather like this. It ages wonderfully & develops a fabulous patina... but WILL NOT CRACK (even without regular polish & conditioning) unless under extreme conditions.

Not bad for 60 years old, I think.

I'm thrilled you like them!

I'm amazed to have had three pairs of these come up in the past two years. But like you say, they were really built to last. Here's there big brother, with more wear than yours, but I think it would take another 60 to really wear them out. I do wonder, though, what you'd have to do to get the soles on something like that replaced.
IMG_5518.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My newest purchase... and probably my oldest pair of shoes.

I've gone through a couple of hundred vintage shoe ads & am having trouble dating these. The 4 large metal eyelets is very reminiscent of Victorian era boots from the early 1900's, and I haven't found a pic of a pair of shoes with them from the 30's or 40's. I can't find anything about the maker, either. The leather is pretty darn old & feels more like something I'd see in a museum than something I'd put on my feet. I am guessing early 1920's or maybe even late 1910's.

Sadly I didn't take a pic when they first arrived, but the first pic was taken AFTER 15 layers of conditioner were applied over a few days. They were DRYYYYYY. The rest of the pics were taken after some more conditioning & 3 layers of cream polish. I've got some Pecard's (on Cookie's recommendation) coming & expect to work them over the next few months. They are still too dry to wear.

PAGING MARC CHEVALIER!!!!! Anything you can tell us about them?

NOS Howard & Leeds Spades.

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

Here were the eBay snaps:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Isshinryu101, it's true that spade sole oxfords were very popular around 1910, and then returned to the scene in the 1930s. My guess is that yours are from the '30s. The shoemaker's logo design, and the look of the sole and heel, look to be from that decade. I agree with you that the four eyelets are very unusual, but "low" shoes were not unheard of back then: they were made for men whose sensitive feet were constricted and hurt by high-laced shoes.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Isshinryu101, it's true that spade sole oxfords were very popular around 1910, and then returned to the scene in the 1930s. My guess is that yours are from the '30s. The shoemaker's logo design, and the look of the sole and heel, look to be from that decade. I agree with you that the four eyelets are very unusual, but "low" shoes were not unheard of back then: they were made for men whose sensitive feet were constricted and hurt by high-laced shoes.

i knew you would not disappoint, friend. many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82