Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Rusty Relics.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I like rust - patina, if you will - which explains why I have several books about vintage cars, either abandoned in fields or tucked deep into the back of a salvage yard. It also exlains why I have these rusty relics:

dscn0182-1.jpg
dscn0186-1.jpg

This was given to me by some friends I'd helped move. On the right is the brand.

dscn0178.jpg

This was given to me by my sister, who, apparently, had once heard me mention ice tongs. Personally, I don't remember ever talking about ice tongs, but she gave them to me anyway, so I must have said something at sometime or another. (Based on the same reasoning, she once gave me a turkey baster. [huh]) Thanks, Sis. (I have a weird family.) The truck belongs to my brother. He built it starting with a frame and front suspension. The rest was twenty years of collecting parts from fourteen trucks. The rust is vintage Utah.

Show us the rusty, dusty - but especially rusty items that you own, and tell us their stories.

Lee

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Since you forgot, they must have been tongs for the memories. (Ouch!)
I remember the ice man in my home town in the early 50's. He lugged big blocks of ice from his truck for peoples' iceboxes, until the ice house collapsed from the snow in the winter of 1955.

duggap

Banned
Best Iron Relic

Sorry, no pictures but my best rusty relic is a couple of civil war canon balls I dug up on a practice artillery range. Darn things had to be disarmed as they were still live. They look great after we ran them through electrolisis.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Although this isnt rusty, it was a great find for my friend. His son bought an old house in town and as they were looking around, they found this tacked to the floor joists.

This is from the late 30 to 40's...we know the dealership and the location in Desloge, so it makes it even more pleasant to acquire. It is in great shape, but my frined won't let me put in on my office wall....:eusa_doh:

displayimage.php

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Since you forgot, they must have been tongs for the memories. (Ouch!)

lol

I remember the ice man in my home town in the early 50's. He lugged big blocks of ice from his truck for peoples' iceboxes, until the ice house collapsed from the snow in the winter of 1955.

Talk about irony! :D

Love that sign, Dinerman! And the first thing to hit my mind when I saw that old diner was, "That'd make for a neat little getaway!" Restore it to its former glory and invite the friends over for lunch. :)

Lee

panamag8or

Practically Family
shoeshineboy said:
Although this isnt rusty, it was a great find for my friend. His son bought an old house in town and as they were looking around, they found this tacked to the floor joists.

This is from the late 30 to 40's...we know the dealership and the location in Desloge, so it makes it even more pleasant to acquire. It is in great shape, but my frined won't let me put in on my office wall....:eusa_doh:

displayimage.php

I have one of those from a dealership here. We have been friends with the owners since before I was born, and I came across the old badge in my grandparent's garage. I'll have to take a pic and post it, it has a great deco look.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
dscn0178.jpg

This was given to me by my sister, who, apparently, had once heard me mention ice tongs. Personally, I don't remember ever talking about ice tongs, but she gave them to me anyway, so I must have said something at sometime or another. (Based on the same reasoning, she once gave me a turkey baster. [huh]) Thanks, Sis. (I have a weird family.) The truck belongs to my brother. He built it starting with a frame and front suspension. The rest was twenty years of collecting parts from fourteen trucks. The rust is vintage Utah.

Lee

I have to admire that level of commitment to a task. Obviously a labour of love. Tell your brother he has earned the respect of a stranger from across the seas (the Pacific Ocean to be exact).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld