Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
e1e1_1.JPG

This says 1950's, but to me it looks like it would then have to be -early- 1950's or mid-late 1940's.

and a hunter green 1940's gabardine skirt with two inverted pleats in the front, and dropped hemline in the back. I would post a picture, but apparently the ebay seller has that feature disabled on the page. *grumble grumble*:mad:

322c_1.JPG

Just got these for a HUGE deal, any way you look at it. 1930's spectators. I have no idea why that black bag is in one of the shoes, but I'll be removing it before wearing. ;) lol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Wow everything's so purrrrtty ladies! you all have some great treasures.:eusa_clap
Mojito that robe it gorgeous and Stardust that dress will look so stunnin on you! :D
My fingers are getting the shopping itch again.:eek:

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Oh belts! They trouble me as well. I, too, would love to see if there are any resources out there.

LOVE the cardigan! In my part of the world, you need cardigans year-round. Even in high summer, it's cool enough in the evenings to appreciate a cardigan.

Mojito - that gown looks fab, and makes even a bedraggled shopper look fab too!

Lady Stardust - I agree with you. I think the skirt fullness seems more early 50s, late 40s to me. Very nice! I love the colour.

Alright, I've worked up the courage to try my first contribution. Hopefully, this will show you a photo of me in the most exciting purchase I've ever made at my local vintage store, which I just made a few weeks ago. It's a Lilli Ann jacket ("San Francisco" on the label alone without "Paris", so mid 40s to early 50s, right?), very nice condition, that I will love for ever and ever :)! I get pangs of guilt over how little I paid for it.

I'm wearing a hat I recently got on ebay. Simply sold as 'vintage' it has a 40s style to it, though sometimes I feel a bit of a 70s swagger coming from it too. Regardless, I enjoy it in all of it's Noir-ish moods:

Lilli Ann Jacket and Hat

(Tried to directly insert the image, but I think my photoshare service is set up to prevent that. I think the link should work though.)

Jen

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Laughing Magpie said:
Oh belts! They trouble me as well. I, too, would love to see if there are any resources out there.

LOVE the cardigan! In my part of the world, you need cardigans year-round. Even in high summer, it's cool enough in the evenings to appreciate a cardigan.

Mojito - that gown looks fab, and makes even a bedraggled shopper look fab too!

Lady Stardust - I agree with you. I think the skirt fullness seems more early 50s, late 40s to me. Very nice! I love the colour.

Alright, I've worked up the courage to try my first contribution. Hopefully, this will show you a photo of me in the most exciting purchase I've ever made at my local vintage store, which I just made a few weeks ago. It's a Lilli Ann jacket ("San Francisco" on the label alone without "Paris", so mid 40s to early 50s, right?), very nice condition, that I will love for ever and ever :)! I get pangs of guilt over how little I paid for it.

Jen

Adorable! You must tell us how much you paid.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
SF Vintage Expo loot from yesterday:

1) 1940s black & white houndstooth suit, very Lauren Bacall I thought. It is in excellent conditions and fits as if custom made for me:
47b7dd39b3127cce820f351fe6cf00000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

It's the pleats in the back of the jacket that really make this:
47b7dd39b3127cce820f4ed4a6a100000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

2) Sheer black suit with huge shell buttons and (incredibly) the original belt. Some other outfits in the closet may have to ask to borrow this belt now & then! :)
47b7dd39b3127cce820f49e8673600000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

3) Toffee colored wool sweater and black lace semi-bullet bra:
47b7dd39b3127cce820f4944679a00000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

4) Black crepe and sequined evening dress
47b7dd39b3127cce820f4fcae62700000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

My first thought was "Rita Hayworth!" The lady I bought it form said it was used in the recent 30 years of the pinup fashion show at Bullock's Wilshire (that was mentioned in a thread here). She said it didn't really fit the model but they fixed her up in really high heels and pinned it. Amazingly, it does fit me, again as if custom made. The sequins need quite a bit of work but it will be fine. The price was $85! Can't beat that!

Detail of sequins:
47b7dd39b3127cce820f373ee6ef00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

5) Lastly, a bunch of hair flowers form Diva Pinup. She was nice enough to bring some specific ones I'd asked about.
47b7dd39b3127cce820f358c676c00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

At first I wasn't finding anything and thought it was going to be a total bust! Notice no summer wear though (well, that black suit is sheer enough I guess).

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Decobelle,

great finds! i have a suit very similar to the black one you got, but without the huge buttons! and i LOVE the houndstooth.

when i lived in socal the vintage expo was always so much fun to go to. ahh, i'm reminiscing now...

Daisy Buchanan

pigeon toe said:
Daisy, I love going to the beauty supply! I feel like a kid in a candy shop. I'm in love with the myriad of cheap, but good, products they always have. I need to get my hands on some rats! How are they working out for you? What styles are you going to use them for?

Yes, I LOVE the beauty supply store. It can be dangerous though! I haven't used hair rats yet. But I thought I would get a couple and try to do some of the styles from the "1940's Hairstyles" book. Now that my hair is a bit longer it will be easier to manipulate. Also, the dexterity in my hands stinks, so I thought that I could use the rats that they sell to create better rolls. I think it might be easier to wrap my hair around it, then slide it out, and hopefully have the perfect victory roll. I'll let you know how it goes.

LadyStardust, you keep getting great things. Those spectators are amazing!!! I am envious.

Decobelle those suits are beautiful. What a wonderful find. I wear a lot of suits in the winter, being that they are much warmer than dresses. You have found the ultimate vintage suits:) All of the purchases you have posted are incredible.

Mojito, you look marvelous:)

Magpie, both the jacket and the hat are great and you look great in them.

I've gone a bit accessory crazy over the past day. I mentioned in another thread that I don't have too many accessories for daytime wear.
Here's what I've won so far on the bay, all for exceptionally low prices. The second one is a sweetheart pin made of bakelite and acrylic. I've never seen anything like it, but thought it might be collectible. The scottie dog earrings are also bakelite. The daisy earrings and pin are just plastic, but I had to have them, for they are Daisies:) I'm waiting on a few more pieces to end tonight. Out of all the online stores, ebay has the best prices for accessories.

Daisy Buchanan

I'm really psyched about this necklace. Bakelite and cherries, it doesn't get much better than this:) I've lost 3 auctions for necklaces similar to this one, so I was so happy to finally win one, and the price wasn't too steep either. The last auction that I lost for a necklace very similar to this one went for 3X the amount:eek: I don't know what it is about this weekend and great deals on ebay. Everyone must be busy with St. Paddy's day. It just seems like quite a few of the pieces I've won over the weekend have been steals. Of course, this is fine, more for me!!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Ya know this might not have been the best decision but I'm worth it darn it!(fist banged half-heartedly on desk top for emphasislol)

The belt's included and everything, and I've been itching for something non-black and summery.

dress.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Goodness - so many great finds!

Decobelle, that dress with the sequinned bodice is just...wow!

Jen, that hat (and the outfit you're wearing it with) are just so sharp and stylish.

Daisy, I love all the accessories...you've got so many styles covered with those. Some of them look so yummy they're almost edible - the pastel, candy coloured necklace and earrings and of course the cherries!

CanadaDoll...the print, the pockets, the collar, the belt...it's all just so right.

Thanks for the comments about the Boudoir Robe - I really was bedraggled, as we'd managed to get lost walking back to the car and went something like 4kms in the wrong direction. Then it started to rain! Lady Day, there's a brandy snifter of Baileys in honour of St Patricks just out of the frame of that photo.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I can't wait to see it Mojito:) I figured it'd be a good summery dress and if I'm lucky, I may even have shoes and a purse to match already:D

The 4km hike sounds pretty unpleasant, and add rain, eep!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
shoes

Had a bad day yesterday and was in the mood for shopping, so of course found nothing! lol
But while looking for summer clothes for my children, I ran across these cork shoes. They are kind of reminescent of the cork shoes over in the swimsuit section that Marilyn has on.

Photo0001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe