Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, today is my lucky day. I actually won another dress on ebay. It's gonna need to be tailored down a bit, and I didn't expect the price to go up the way it did for an auction in the middle of the day, but, I just couldn't resist.

Mojito

One Too Many
Christmas Party Dress

Here's a recent purchase, as worn by its original owner (she's the one on the left). Black velvet trimmed with ermine. It has a nice provenance established, including this photo. Need to rescan the original photo, which came with the dress.

I'm planning on wearing it to our 20s themed office Christmas Party, unless it's an absolutely ridiculously hot evening. Shouldn't be too bad - the velvet is lovely and soft and not too heavy, and it's sleeveless. It fits brilliantly - the original owner was quite a tall girl too. Just very slightly gathered in at the hips, enough to give it some shape. Not too baggy as some large 20s dresses can be, but certainly not too tight. The fur trimming gives it a bit of a festive feel. Not sure whether I want to go with the dark shoes the original owner has in the photo or with white - not a colour I usually like in a shoe, but I'm wearing a white beaded cap with it over my dark hair so I wouldn't mind keeping with the black and white theme. Necklace will be a long string of pearls of course.

Venusflapper.jpg

I recently put a wonderful beaded/sequined flapper dress on layaway at Antiquedress - am madly in love it! Can't wait to pay it off as soon as all the Christmas gifts for other people are purchased - my selfcenteredness doesn't quite extend to buying my own pressies first at Christmas, tempting though it is!

P

Paul

Mojito said:
I recently put a wonderful beaded/sequined flapper dress on layaway at Antiquedress - am madly in love it! Can't wait to pay it off as soon as all the Christmas gifts for other people are purchased - my selfcenteredness doesn't quite extend to buying my own pressies first at Christmas, tempting though it is!

That sounds so nice will you post a photo or two of you wearing it , because it sound like you have the 20's off to a tee

Daisy Buchanan

Mojito, that is a lovely dress. I think it is so incredible that you have a picture of it's original owner wearing it, that just makes it all the more special.
Have fun at your Christmas party. You will certainly be the best dressed!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Daisy what a sweet neckline on that dress, glad you got it!
Mojito, I agree~ having a pic of the original owner wearing the garment is fabulous. Can't wait to see the comparison!

Nikki

Mojito

One Too Many
Cheers, Paul, Daisy and Nikki! I'll post photos of the dresses when I wear them.

I have a couple of dresses with fairly well established provenance (names, dates, and occasionally notable events where the dress was worn by the original owner), but this is the only one I have with a photo of the owner wearing it. Must admit that I had a bit of a hand in the theme for the Christmas Party this year -there are some advantages to being on the Social Club committee!

A colleague reported to me, with a bit of a chuckle, that she had been approached by a fairly new co-worker who wanted to know if people dress up for the Christmas Party. New co-worker has a lovely pattern for a 30s dress that she has wanted to run up and wear for a while and was looking for the opportunity to do so, but she was worried about being the only one dressing up to that extent. "Ah" said my friend, "you don't know Mojito well, do you? Well...she'll be there in full vintage 1920s regalia" ("And," she reported to me later, "the word I used was certainly 'regalia'").

There will be some lovely outfits, though - might be because I work in a Museum, but there are a number of women here who love their vintage looks, and who relish a chance to get out and wear some lovely fabrics and designs.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Mojito that is great that you have the oportunity to dress up and others are into it as well.
I've also been meaning to comment on your shirt you're wearing in your avitar. Is it a name brand I might be able to find, ect? SO cute!

Nikki

Mojito

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Mojito that is great that you have the oportunity to dress up and others are into it as well.
I've also been meaning to comment on your shirt you're wearing in your avitar. Is it a name brand I might be able to find, ect? SO cute!

Nikki
Ta, Nikki!

The top (and jewelery) are by Israeli designer Michal Negrin - she has a few boutiques in the US, also in the UK, Australia, Japan, Paris and a couple of other countries. There are some online dealers as well - including some who sell through ebay. I bought that top in Sydney. Everything from the shop decor to the packaging is designed by Michal, and it's all part of her overarching design vision. She uses wonderful materials - that top is studded with Austrian crystals, and is so comfortable to wear. I bought that particular one because of the flapper girl image - she uses certain Edwardian, Victorian and 20s images recurringly through both clothing and jewelery, and I also have a ring with that particular starlet on it. My business card holder features another one of her gorgeous flapper girl.

She's a lovely personality as well - I have many of her tops, dresses and quite a few pieces of her jewelery, including a stunning necklace she gave me (she called me an 'ambassador' for her designs - I certainly wear them at every opportunity!)

Here are a few of her international sites - I visited the Windsor shop in the UK earlier this year and bought quite a few clothes. The manager there is a delight, as are the owner and staff of the Sydney shop. I love dealing with all the Michal Negrin crew - you get the impression that they are tremendously enthusiastic about her designs.

http://www.michalnegrin.com/Homepage.aspx

http://www.michalnegrin.co.uk/

http://www.michalnegrin.com.au/

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OHHH! Oh MY!! I literally had to pick my jaw up off the floor from looking at her things. :eek: I adore them... thanks a million Mojito! Looks like my Christmas list has changed........
Nikki

MissHuff

A-List Customer
techically given not personally purchased

So I acquired it more than purchased but it WAS a great purchase by my future mother in law a couple months ago. She bought it at an antique store that she infamously frequents. Yet another beautiful but useless piece for her. Although this time instead of a large antique bureau from 1890 it's a gorgeous rose print dress. Not quite sure how to date the dress but I did a burn test on a piece off the skirt seam and my bf and I believe it's weighted silk. Absolutely gorgeous fabric. It's too small for her and so she gave it to me thinking I could just take it in a little to fit me.... it didn't need any alterations.. a little self-esteem blow but I was picked right back up after someone told me I was a "Hot Mom" lol.

normal_DSC00511.jpg

normal_DSC00512.jpg

front

normal_DSC00516.jpg

back

normal_DSC00521.jpg

label

I LOVE this dress.
and yes that's a duct-tape double.

Daisy Buchanan

It is my lucky day! I won another dress, and this went for a lot less than I expected. Well, since two of the dresses went for half of what I expected to pay, I guess it's not so bad that I bought three dresses today.
I've got one more auction that I hope I win, and thats it for me. At least until tomorrow!!
Well, here's the latest addition. It's black velvet, and has a very full sweep. The photos seem dark. I think it will look better in person.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
And yet another one. Golly this is fun, but not for my wallet!! I must stop. But, I really love this dress. I hope I get a chance to wear it soon.

I love it. You can wear it out to dinner with me! So I have an excuse to buy a new dress lol

Mojito

One Too Many
ohairas said:
OHHH! Oh MY!! I literally had to pick my jaw up off the floor from looking at her things. :eek: I adore them... thanks a million Mojito! Looks like my Christmas list has changed........
To see them is to love them, Nikki! And they all feel just as wonderful to wear as they are to look at, both clothes and jewelery. You'll love anything by her that you buy.

MissHuff, I wouldn't worry at all about not having to take that lovely dress in. It looks like you've got a lovely neat little waist, and don't need to be any slimmer. The dress is gorgeous!

Love both dresses, Daisy, but I must admit to being partial to black velvet (almost any colour velvet, in fact - I seem to have an awful lot of it in my wardrobe). The full skirt of the dress is lovely! Do you think it will be floor length on you? Looks like it. Wonderful flattering neck and shoulders.

Daisy Buchanan

Mojito said:
To see them is to love them, Nikki! And they all feel just as wonderful to wear as they are to look at, both clothes and jewelery. You'll love anything by her that you buy.

MissHuff, I wouldn't worry at all about not having to take that lovely dress in. It looks like you've got a lovely neat little waist, and don't need to be any slimmer. The dress is gorgeous!

Love both dresses, Daisy, but I must admit to being partial to black velvet (almost any colour velvet, in fact - I seem to have an awful lot of it in my wardrobe). The full skirt of the dress is lovely! Do you think it will be floor length on you? Looks like it. Wonderful flattering neck and shoulders.
Thank you! I'm quite partial to velvet too. I'm only 5'1, so it will probably be more than floor length on me. It'll probably end up having a small train once I put it on. I hope it's pretty in person. I'm excited about the peach/pink dress, I have nothing like it in my wardrobe.

Daisy Buchanan

BegintheBeguine said:
I love the peach/pink dress.
Thank You! I hope it looks as good in person.

I just won a cute pair of shoes and a coat/cloak of black velvet with a cream satin liner. I've been needing something to wear over my formal dresses and this should be perfect with both the black velvet and the cream satin ones I just got. Looks like I'm gonna be keeping the post man busy!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WOW Daisy,

Either you have a Santa Clause bag full-o-cash, or a DEEEEEEEP credit limit! lol
Either way, you have nabbed some super cute items. Lucky girl :p

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe