Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

katylouise

New in Town
Adele said:
That jacket looks grand on you!

You will have to forgive me for my randomness but I've heard there is a lot of vintage stores in Houston. Would you know if that is the case? Because if so, I ought to go!

Oh, Houston is the MECCA for vintage if you know where to look! :))

There are lots of vintage stores in the Montrose/Westheimer area that are a bit hit & miss because everyone knows they are there. But since alot of people are after 60s stuff at the moment, sometimes you can find some gorgeous 40s & 50s items if you get there early.

I'm a huuuuuge thrift store fan, there are so many in this city it's a bit overwhelming! It's dig, dig, dig but sometimes you walk away with some treasures.

I actually bought the jacket at my favorite place for vintage in Houston, Retropolis in the Heights on 19th St. It's done on a vendor basis and there is SO MUCH stuff from ALL eras. Beautiful 40s cocktail dresses next to paper-thin ACDC t-shirts. Love it! There is a vendor on the second floor who seems to specialize in 40s and 50s items and I ALWAYS walk out of there with something. Really nice hat selection too!

LOL can't you tell I'm totally into Houston shopping! :D

roselily

One of the Regulars
Bought http://www.bronzejewelers.com/images/3_Rose_crown_pic.gif this today at the Renaissance Festival. It's new but has a very vintage feel (to me, anyway!) The one I got is actually mixed metals- bronze and nickel flowers- the flowers themselves are sliightly different since each is handmade.

I also just won these and am excited for their arrival! They're deadstock dance shoes from unknown year (they're calling them vintage but I'm suspecting they aren't really that old, but they're just fine for what I want 'em for!)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/109052/tacs26.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Dracca what a lovely Limoge compact!! You got it for a great price as well. The market for anything signed Limoge is really competitive, or at least here in the northeast it is. My sister collects Limoge boxes, and hasn't bought any vintage ones in ages for the price has gone up so much. She would be in awe of your beautiful signed compact! Use it in good health, it's so beautiful:)

Adele your hat and shoes are great! They are so perfectly matched it's hard to believe that they didn't come together. I was eying up those Clarkes in the shoe shoppe a few days ago. They are so great looking, and so very 20's/early 30's. To find a pair of modern shoes that are not only so very

vintage looking but also incredibly comfortable is amazing. It's so nice to see that over the past few years companies like Clarkes are finally starting to make stylish shoes. It used to be that if you wanted comfort you had to sacrifice style. That seems to no longer bee the case. Sofft is another brand that I really love, not just for comfort but they have a great line out this season.

Pattygood I'm diggin' your new red dress! You know, I was in Neiman Marcus last week and looking through the high end designers clothes. They were showing a lot of dresses in this exact style, so your ahead of the game!!

Well, I made a bi of a boo boo today, Ooopsy Daisy!! You see, I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a gown for the black tie event on The Queen Mary. I had a picture of exactly what I wanted in my head, but I just could never seem to find it. Well today I did, yippeeeee!! But, the thing is, I found 2!! I made a deal with myself that I would only buy one. One was up a couple of hours before the other. If I won the first one, I would cancel my bid through bid assist for the second gown. But, I was wrapped up in something else and totally forgot about the auctions. Thank goodness I had used a bid assistant or I would have ended up with nothing! I use a bid assistant just for that reason. But the negative affect is that if I do use the assistant and forget about it, I end up winning auctions that I had meant to not bid on!!! I guess I could bring both gowns and change half way through the evening. Or, I'll just have to wear one while vacuuming!!

Well, here they are. I am thrilled about them both.
This first one is a champagne color with pink silk accents, beading and I just love the train in the back. I think it will need a bit of shortening. If this is the case I'm going to ask the seamstress if she can take the extra fabric and change the spaghetti straps to a more substantial strap, if possible a small flutter sleeve. I could probably make them myself but with this gown I don't want to mess anything up.
7a41_1.JPG
bdeb_1.JPG
6fe5_1.JPG

I love Everything about this gown. I love the bias cut, I love the peplum jacket with the puffed sleeves that are ruched. To me this is the epitome of a 30's gown. It's just so elegant, and I love the color. OK I think I'm full up on evening gowns!!! Well, unless I start to vacuum more often:D
chev002.jpg
chev007.jpg
chev011.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Well, I made a bi of a boo boo today, Ooopsy Daisy!! You see, I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a gown for the black tie event on The Queen Mary. I had a picture of exactly what I wanted in my head, but I just could never seem to find it. Well today I did, yippeeeee!! But, the thing is, I found 2!!

7a41_1.JPG
bdeb_1.JPG

chev002.jpg

I am in love with that chevron dress Daisy--I'm so glad you got it because now I'll be able to see it in person! Didn't the seller list it as a nightgown (I may be confusing this one with another dress)?

The champagne colored one is exquisite--I have no memory of seeing it; how could I miss it?

And "oopsy-Daisy" made me laugh out loud coming from you!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Oh Daisy, I love the pink one! I agree, it just screams 30s to me, especially with the jacket!

Here is a dress I won recently. We are doing a 20s speakeasy party, so I think it will be perfect!

3b5f_1.jpg
3b90_1.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I am planning living room redecorations and recently won this 1950s/60s boomerang coffee table:

d3ac_12.JPG

It will look lovely after it's refinished and the tiles are replaced (they are cracked). Will probably do a dark finish with some brightly colored tiles. I love the idea of this! With tiles set into your coffee table, who needs coasters?

Miss 1929

LOVE the stripey dress, Daisy!

And it is a better year for the QM as well - the other one looks more early 30s to me... plus that coral color is going to look awesome with all the colors on the ship. Take many many pictures, please!
Devastated that I can't be there... apparently there is not more entertainment budget left. Drat.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Just bought this dress (the belt isn't included)
people_dress01.JPG

Here's a close up of the print
people_dress02.JPG

And I found these shoes to go with it
red_shoes.jpg

..they come in brown as well, so I may need those too.

Now I just need a red belt. I'm sure I see them everywhere normally, but as soon as I want one.. :rolleyes:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
Just bought this dress (the belt isn't included)
people_dress01.JPG

Here's a close up of the print
people_dress02.JPG

And I found these shoes to go with it
red_shoes.jpg

..they come in brown as well, so I may need those too.

Now I just need a red belt. I'm sure I see them everywhere normally, but as soon as I want one.. :rolleyes:

I am speechless at the fabulousity of both of those items--I especially love that print! I'm looking for a red belt too--where are they hiding them?

Texasgirl--that is a gorgeous dress!

Mojito

One Too Many
Daisy, they're both gorgeous, but that gold dress is stunning! I've never had a dress in gold, but am leaning towards a big purchase that way (will make up my mind in the next month or so).

Miss 1929, I know people in the liner community who would melt at the sight of that compact - I know I'm not telling you anything new, but I have to say it's such a crossover piece, with appeal not just to the vintage community but also to ocean memorabilia collectors. I know some Cunard fans who could never resist it - even the blokes.

Texasgirl, what a classic black piece. Burnout velvet?

Daisy Buchanan

Thank you IMOF, Texas Girl, Mojito and Miss 1929!! I can't wait to get them and see them in person! I'm gonna have to be really careful on my trip through France. All of the good food I'm gonna come across is going to be very tempting, but I can't afford to gain an ounce if I want to wear these dresses!! I'm not sure if the orange one was listed as a nightgown, I'll have to look at the description again.

Kitsch all of your purchases are great, I love the pattern of that dress!! Check out Aldo or Aldo Accessory stores for a red belt. I think I remember seeing one there. They also have a website if you don't have a store near you.

Kitty that coffee table is absolutely incredible. You probably know this already, but the Home Depot has a clearance section for tiles. Basically they dramatically mark down tiles that they only have a few left of. They are in good shape but they just don't have enough to complete tiling a floor, but they might just have enough of the same style for the amount you need for your table. I think a dark stain is gonna look great!! Good luck with your redecorating project. You are off to a great start with this table. Take lots of pictures of the finished product, it's gonna look incredible!!

Miss 1929

yes, it is a heck of a compact!

Mojito said:
Miss 1929, I know people in the liner community who would melt at the sight of that compact - I know I'm not telling you anything new, but I have to say it's such a crossover piece, with appeal not just to the vintage community but also to ocean memorabilia collectors. I know some Cunard fans who could never resist it - even the blokes.

Yes, there was bidding galore - but I am so in love with the Queen Mary they didn't have a chance! Plus, ESnipe is my friend. I always win with ESnipe!

I now have the compact, the mechanical pencil, and two chocolate boxes with the QM on them!

So I guess I am crossover ...

katylouise

New in Town
i think i'm in love.

If I could marry a shoe, I'd be taken.

1474528484_ea9bb0f017.jpg

Swoon!

They're actually a lot more blue than shows in the pic. They're just enough vintage-y for me (I'm loving the slight platform, subtle cone heels and the mary-jane strap!). Behind them is a sweet little 50s clutch with a rhinestone strawberry closure I picked up at a thrift store.

Mojito

One Too Many
I went to the "Seams Old" fair in Sydney on the weekend with a couple of good mates (50s collectors, so there was no need to elbow them out of the way for the 20s). I kept being drawn back to a particular dress that struck me as on the cusp, although it was labelled 1932. I finally asked the seller about it, and it turned out it was a Lanvin...with label intact. At a very reasonable price.

Did some research during the week, and found that it had been part of her father's collection (a vintage collector and fashion designer), and had been up for auction in 2005 but passed in. Interesting thing was, it was the dress that had been used to illustrate a Sydney Morning Herald story about vintage!

Here's the picture the paper used, but I need to get it re-photographed...one thing everyone who has seen both dress and photo agrees on is that it doesn't do it justice. It's coral and gold lace over a coral chiffon base with an intact silk slip. The sash is chiffon, and on the front of the sash (obviously not visible in this photo) is a bunch of white ribbon flowers.

1932 is a bit out of my era, but it does so remind me of some of those peacock hem dresses that became popular at the end of the 20s into the early 30s. Gold cloche, gold t-straps...maybe a fan...

lanvin_narrowweb__200x392.jpg

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Here is my 1940's cameo brooch:

My 1930's crochet handbag

Here is my 1950's purple blouse

And my latest purchase my vintage sunglasses!! So white and beautiful!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe