Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pedigree! The Heritage Thread.

K

killertomata

I'm a very American mix. Native American- Peoria/Kaskaskia (official/enrolled) and Cherokee (not enrolled), some Mexican of unknown origin, I don't know what tribe of Mexico. And from Europe, I'm Scottish, Irish, French, English and Dutch. I don't think it's much Dutch though.

patterson

One of the Regulars
Half Irish (Dad's side ran guns to the Catholics) and half Italian (Mom's family was "connected" in the Bay Area)... Mom and Dad's wedding had a lot of white cadillacs and men who did not smile...

Back in the 1970's, my grandmother on my Dad's side was bitten by the geneology bug. She thought she was going to find a relative on the Mayflower. She came close to quitting when she found a generation of coal miners in Pennsylvania. She did stop when she found the coal miners had fled Ireland because of the gun running... Be careful when you look in those closets!;)

Fortunately, both sides kept diaries and journals and wrote a lot of letters. It has been a lot of fun going through those items to see what life was like and who these people really were...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
On my dad's side: My grandfather's parents came from the Piemonte area of Northern Italy - close to Turin. My grandmother's parents were Germans from Russia - their ancestors went to Russia when Catherine the Great invited them in the eighteenth century.

On my mom's side: Grandpa was Polish - last name was Woznick - and my grandmother was Scots-Irish - last name was Cargill.

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
I'm German down both sides of the family except for my one Great Grandmother. The German side is all from the Lower Rhineland and Bavaria. One of my paternal Great Grandmothers came over from Höchst, a part of Frankfurt am Main, when she was a girl. Some of the other German ancestors tried to cover their tracks as to where in Germany they came from. Some horsetheves and a defrocked minster were among them:D . Rouges are very interesting.
My Non-German Great Grandmother was from Kiethley England. Shackleton was here maiden name. I am supposedly related to Sir Edmond the Arctic explorer. When she married my Great Grandfather, a German -American, the family in England was very upset that she was marring a "Hun". Of course it was 1916!

But this all makes me 100% American. :cheers1:

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Family has been here in North America for a while

Elizabeth **** (common ancestor of three presidents and one recent presidential candidate) arrived in 1608 and settled in Charlestown, Worcester, Massachussetts. Family spread from there settling in New Hampshire and Connecticutt. This is on my fathers side. There is also Czech heritage from My Great GrandFather Becker.

On my maternal side there was one of the early rectors of Bruton Parish in Williamsburg, VA. This side of the family was of Huguenot Nobility and arrived around 1700 which allowed multiple generations not to soil their hands with labor. My Great Grandfather's was the first generation to work. The other maternal relations came over from the Cologne area in 1848.

So basically a good bunch of Anglo-Franco-Germanic Heritage. Protestant in faith - Catholic in education.
I am what my friend call a whiskey-palian. Distinctly Waspy.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Wow. Reading about loungers heritage is really neat! Oke heres my family(keep in mind I have no clue when my family came over) On my dads side we are Irish/English and on my Moms side, its all Scotch/Irish. We are distantly(and I mean distantly) related to Jeb Staurt, my Moms Maiden name is Staurt. They were able to trace back to a 2nd or 3rd cousin away from Jeb. Ah, well not eveyones destined to be directly related to anyone famous!lol

Samantha

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
GeniusInTheLamp said:
My paternal grandmother's parents came from Sweden (seperately) in 1892. My gg-grandfather emigrated from Bavaria in 1857. My other ancestors are of English, Scottish, Scots-Irish, and Alsatian stock. The earliest arrival into this country was Isaac Allerton, who sailed on the Mayflower.

The most famous people in my family were philosopher/educator John Dewey, Westminster College football coach Harold Burry (in the College Football HOF), and steel guitarist Hoot Rains (who backed Slim Whitman and is credited with inventing the "shooting arrow" sound).

UPDATE: My most famous relative now is John Glenn. Our common ancestor was David Craft (1763-1837) of Fayette Co., PA.

I'm also very distantly related to Jim Backus on my father's side.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Title: Yes, please

Hmm. I think I shall

1) Enroll in the genome project and really see if all those stories are true

2) Buy a title.

:p :eusa_doh: That will make life interesting at the next family reunion!:eusa_doh:

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
I might be melungeon...

One of my ancestral lines comes through Hancock County, Tennessee (Newman's Ridge to be exact). Others supposedly come through Ireland and Perth County, Scotland.

I wasn't aware of my melungeon heritage until around 1995-1996. Interestingly enough, either was my father.

Although I don't think I look it, I've been mistaken for being Lebanese.

drjones

A-List Customer
My Ancestry

I have an interesting ancestry. To me at least. :)

Im Scotch Irish and English on one side of my family and Hispanic (In New Mexico since at LEAST 1830....) on the other. My father's side dates back as far as the Hugenots (excuse my guessed spelling of that one). Ive had relatives in most of the wars this country has fought in since the Revolution. A fact I am proud of.

DRJONES

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, in all honesty I have if not royalty at least high breeding on both sides of my family.

1. I have us on one side of family starting in Charleston, South Carolina about as far back as 1850s or so. I believe though and would love to see the link back to Scotland (which I just visited) how they came to Charleston. Does anyone have a clue if any of the clans came there? "Boyd" (confido) (Some kind of King who decided to take Mary Queen of Scots side from what I can gather. Don't hold me on it. I used to do genealogy alot but gave up mostly. I wanted to id some old photos so it served the purpose. Long story.
2. The other side of family came from France/Spain as part of the Ronquillo heirs. I have the family tree back to 1400s on these.

Throw some Cherokee indian in there somewhere also. So French, Indian, Spanish and Irish/Scottish I think.

Too bad all the yoyos seem to of lost the family finances before they got to me. Figures. lol

Good place to start:
http://usgenweb.org/

Brinybay

Practically Family
KAT said:
:whistling :D (but i cant wait to see who got german heritage)
Ich bin Deutsch, or at least my ancestors were. Great Grandpa came over from Wurttemberg shortly after the American Civil War ended and married Great Grandma who was from the same area in Germany and arrived shortly after Great Grandpa. Not known if they knew each other before emigrating.

jayem

A-List Customer
I'm a nice mix of Irish (with some German, Scottish, and English thrown in along the way) and Czech-Bohemian (with some Polish and Croatian added, too). My Irish side came to the US at the turn of the century, and my Czech side came here after WWI. We're fairly recent migrants.

Oh, and I'm related to Jimmy Cagney. Oh, and somehow... Atilla the Hun. I don't remember how we found that out...

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I'll try to keep this brief; one of my hobbies is genealogy, so I can go into a lot of detail that nobody is really very interested in, unless, perhaps, they feel some of it may describe their own heritage as well. I've included some prominent surnames for which I have a reasonable amount of information in that branch.

My father's parents were born and married in Poland, and came to the United States in 1949. I don't really know much about this branch of the family; babcia's English is not all that great, and she's a bit fuzzy on these things... JASKIEWICZ

My maternal grandmother's family was mostly made up of German and Welsh immigrants who came over in the early 19th century. Well, the Welsh side of the family came over in the early 19th century; I'm not sure when the Germans came over, as far as I know the Stimmel family had been here for a number of generations by the time the Davis family came over from Wales. GODFREY, STIMMEL, DAVIS

My maternal grandfather's family is descended from a number of English immigrants who came to various east-coast colonies in the 17th century. There are a number of people in this branch that came over on the Mayflower. BATES, SPARHAWK, GAYLORD, ROBBINS, SEARLE

Foofoogal

Banned
I have Davis in my family, Davidson as well, Trammel, Nunn, Guynes, I could go on also.

I seriously have come to the conclusion that everyone in East Texas is related somehow. These families came from the east to get land and most were Baptist and Methodist and married into each others families.
I told my children to make sure our family tree forked before marrying. lol

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
On my father's side, we've traced back to the Hohenzollerns in Prussia, with the family coming to America right before WWI. On my mother's side, all German, until they got to America and a great-great gandfather fell in love with an Apache woman, adding some variety to the history.

donCarlos

Practically Family
One part of my ancestors came from France somewhen in the 18th century. And since then, I´m 100% czech. Czechs do not often have american roots, but some americans have czech roots :)

A bit OT: I have recently heard about some town in Texas where most citizens are descendants of the original czech immigrants. And while going from Quebec to New York, we slept in Lake Placid in motel calles "Prague" :)

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.czechheritage.org/communities.html

I grew up among some of these bohemians and czechs.

1. I have original recipes of a family who had a bakery including the best kolaches anyone ate in their life. Not the dumb pigs in a blanket either. I am talking fig, cream cheese, fruit yummy. Too bad I have not tried to bake them as I am the worst baker in the world. Pretty sad huh.
2. Those people invented the word Party I think.

Extremely clean and very hard working and frugal I have found also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe