Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

SayCici

Practically Family
2009-09-1214-45-05296.jpg

I keep it simple. :)

2009-09-1214-44-31796.jpg

Geez this dress makes me look busty!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:
How many kittens do you have to sacrifice to the God of Great Hair to get hair THAT shiny?:mad:

No kittens needed find a good hair serum with some silicone in it (yes I said silicone) and it will make your hair shinier than you ever dreamed. And then people will envy your shiny hair too.

Antje

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
How many kittens do you have to sacrifice to the God of Great Hair to get hair THAT shiny?:mad:

no kittens sacraficed here also
just buy quality hair products, I use jane cartersolutions products.
they are all from natural ingredients,
drink a lot of water and I take solgar skin hair nails vitamins.

I collor my hair every 4 to 6 weeks with pro hair dye from Indola

and then you have shiny hair,

in other words try out what works best for you

AirborneSally

New in Town
I am so very jealous of all of you! Everyone...non vintage lovers of course...are always saying "I love your hair" but I hate it! I can never get it to do any vintage style that I want. I have only mastered one basic style. I have tried so many but you girls look so beautiful and amazing!

any girls in the NC area feel like helping me out lol. I need a mentor!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
AirborneSally said:
I am so very jealous of all of you! Everyone...non vintage lovers of course...are always saying "I love your hair" but I hate it! I can never get it to do any vintage style that I want. I have only mastered one basic style. I have tried so many but you girls look so beautiful and amazing!

any girls in the NC area feel like helping me out lol. I need a mentor!

I'm in Virginia Beach and i see you are in New Port news I can help you if you want.

AirborneSally

New in Town
Grant Fan said:
I'm in Virginia Beach and i see you are in New Port news I can help you if you want.

Thats great! actually I just moved from Newport news to Jacksonville NC, my husband is a marine. But I go back to VA all the time to visit family. so next time im there i would love to get a coffee or something, talk vintage, maybe learn some new styles!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
quona said:
Hello all. First post here, but I figured I needed to stop lurking and being creepy and looking at everyone else's pictures and finally post some of my own.
IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg
Welcome :) Your hair looks lovely. You should post a picture of your setting pattern some time. I love how it all comes together so smoothly in the back.

quona

New in Town
Audrey Horne said:
Welcome :) Your hair looks lovely. You should post a picture of your setting pattern some time. I love how it all comes together so smoothly in the back.

Thanks. :)

It's the same set that's found on page 47 of "Vintage Hairstyling" (second edition), the Horizontal Pin Curl Wave. I think that page is also in the sneak peek section on the book's website.
I alternated clockwise and counter clockwise curls in three columns down the back of my head, starting with counter clockwise at the top. I use two fingers to roll the pincurls around, for reference of the curl's size.

I'll post pictures next time I set it, though.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
AirborneSally said:
Thats great! actually I just moved from Newport news to Jacksonville NC, my husband is a marine. But I go back to VA all the time to visit family. so next time im there i would love to get a coffee or something, talk vintage, maybe learn some new styles!

That sound great and my boyfriend is in the Navy that's why I am down here, I will explain all of that later it's long and kind of complicated. But then again it always is with the military.

V

Violeta

Hello Ladies!! I just recieved my book in the mail: Vintage Hairstyling 2nd edition, and I absolutley LOVE it! I'm so happy I ordered it! Many thanks to Inky and her review for helping me in my decision to get it! Don't miss out ladies, this is a great book, a must have for any fan of vintage hair!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Violeta said:
Hello Ladies!! I just recieved my book in the mail: Vintage Hairstyling 2nd edition, and I absolutley LOVE it! I'm so happy I ordered it! Many thanks to Inky and her review for helping me in my decision to get it! Don't miss out ladies, this is a great book, a must have for any fan of vintage hair!

I am overwhelmed by it! I did a blog review as well:
http://lisafremontpages.blogspot.com/

AirborneSally

New in Town
Thanks for posting those reviews, i was unsure about getting it, im bad at following directions like that but Im going to get it anyway. Since all you ladies pretty much swear by it haha. it looks like a great book...im sure i can learn from it.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
I need help ladies! I bought a cute little hat to wear tomorrow night but I can't think how to style my hair with it.
Here's the hat
il_75x75.82863119.jpg

il_430xN.82863558.jpg

I haven't got a recent picture of my hair but it about arm pit length with no layers or bangs.
I'm unsure how to style with the hat since it's an unusual shape.
Anyone have any hairstyle suggestions?

sorry about the odd placed post...I couldn't find a "hairstyle help" thread. :p

I'd suggest a smooth low chignon or bun. You could also try a horizontal back roll if your hair will hold it - as it's long I realise I may be too heavy and/or bulky. Whatever you do, keep it simple and let the hat take the style-strain!

analiebe

A-List Customer
hello ladies... i'm sharing this as the lovely blondie asked me to post this image and include an explanation as to how i achieved this hairdo after she noticed my new avatar pic ... so here goes...

(sorry for the not perfectly clear image but it was taken as an art shot by an amazingly talented photographer friend - this is a crop but i did post the full shot on the pin-up thread)

hairfedora.jpg

this 30's inspired look was achieved from a wet set - with no product or setting lotion at all, and my hair is fine with almost no natural wave...
to start i made a clean, wide-set side part & using a fine toothed comb created "water waves" through my fringe (bangs to you american gals) & the top length of the hair on either side of my face up to the tops of my ears by combing c-shapes & using pincurl clips to hold the waves in place on either side of the "ridges" created in this process...
the rest of my hair was set on pillow rollers, starting from the nape working up...leaving the top section of my hair smooth (only one row of rollers above the top of my ears)
i used 3 rollers for each 'row' of the set except for the first row the narrowest) @ the nape where i used 2 and the top row (the widest) where i used 4...
the hair was rolled upwards and quite tightly around the rollers, then sprayed lightly, when all rollers are in, with a light, diluted rosewater/ leave-in conditioner blend (for a rosy scent & softness)... and then allowed to dry for a few hours before tying up with a silk scarf & heading off to bed to dream of handsome men driving vintage motorbikes...
all up i think the rollers would've remained in for about 9 hours before carefully removing the them, shaking out the curls & gently combing with a wide toothed comb or vent brush (no bristle brushes boar or plastic for this set)
lastly the pin-curl clips were removed & the water-waved hair combed into the rest of the set... & finished with a simple 1930's brass hair clip from my great aunt
** i imagine this set will work & hold even better using blondies' wavol setting lotion recommendation (or lottabody for the non-antipodean lasses)

for the second day of wear i simply & quite imperfectly dry pin-curl prior to sleeping... i find the set still holds well although it has dropped slightly so i either wear it slightly longer or pin it up slightly at the nape & sides to attain an appearance of the shorter length

hopefully this hasn't been to long or tedious or confusing an explanation

Blondie

Practically Family
THANK YOU ! :eusa_clap
Your hair looks fabulous and i love your little hair clip
i love the rosewater idea, will have to give this a go
Will try this set when i have time & will post pics,
How long is your hair ?

analiebe

A-List Customer
you are so welcome lovely lady! my hair is about 3 1/2 inches beyond my shoulder... i'm finding that this is proving the best length for me to be able to achieve great styles from my favourite eras (20's - 40's) and my fringe is growing out & currently sits just at my top lip i often miss the blunt fringe i used to sport but the longer length is allowing me to water wave with much more success as well as have enough length for rolls as well... make sure you let me know how you go with both the rose water & the set xxa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe