Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I did a quick set with my curling iron and handy-dandy hairspray this afternoon, to see where it would go. It's been a few days since my last wash, and the curl has brushed into waves, so that helps. Didn't turn out too bad, if I say so myself!

Eliseblackandwhite002.jpg

Eliseblackandwhite004.jpg

wannabe40sgirl

New in Town
I found this picture and I just love the girls hair thats on the right!!! How do you think you would go about fixing your hair to look like this?? I would love to be able to do this!! :D
twins40s.jpg

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
Amazingly enough I couldn't find Lotta Body at my local Walgreens. My hair is long so I'm thinking the best thing is to use curlers and set it that way. I can sleep in it and then just pop them out. Any other places that carry it or any other brands that work well?

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
I didn't find it there. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot. I'm a bit confused as well. When I search google for "setting lotion" I come up with several things for African American hair. Wouldn't that make caucasian hair too oily?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Nope, not at all, depending on what you get. Making sure you get setting lotion and not an oil.

I make sure to dilute the setting lotion, even the prediluted, because even the prediluted stuff makes my hair a bit crunchy.
Actually I found the Lotta Body at Kmart, which reminds me, I'm running low.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Actually it makes sense, in this day and age to update the board exam to reflect more current hair techniques than those used years ago and not put in use in over 90% of today's salons.

I know when I was in school, we were never taught to blow dry like they do now, and I actually had to teach myself how to do that. But I could pincurl and fingerwave the best in my class!
I'm glad I was able to learn and test in the now old fashioned ways of doing hair. Especially since this is the type of hair I enjoy doing most.

But it's still a bit sad to see it becoming more and more a memory of the past.:(

BonnieJean

Practically Family
classicstyle said:
I didn't find it there. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot. I'm a bit confused as well. When I search google for "setting lotion" I come up with several things for African American hair. Wouldn't that make caucasian hair too oily?

I found the Lotta Body at Wal-Mart in the "Ethnic Hair Care" section. And no it doesn't make your hair "greasy". A lot of 'vintage' products are found in this section. Maybe its in this section at Walgreens too.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
I'm glad I was able to learn and test in the now old fashioned ways of doing hair. Especially since this is the type of hair I enjoy doing most.

I totally agree with you. While teaching myself how to blow dry and flat iron was hard work, spending all that time rolling tiny perm rods and setting little old ladies has paid off. Not only in being able to set my own hair, but the fact that I'm very comfortable doing older clients. Older clients tend to be more loyal and are a reliable source of income. The younger girls in my shop (did I mention that I went back to work last month?) refuse to do the older clients and am always busy.

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
BonnieJean said:
I found the Lotta Body at Wal-Mart in the "Ethnic Hair Care" section. And no it doesn't make your hair "greasy". A lot of 'vintage' products are found in this section. Maybe its in this section at Walgreens too.

I NEVER set foot in Wal-Mart but I did in search for Lotta Body. Yup, I found it there. :)

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Nashoba said:
One of our gentlemen friends who wishes to remain anonymous suggested I share this link. It's an article on the ad campaign that Christina Aguilera is doing for her new perfume....he said the picture shown in the article was really 'great hair'. It actually does look pretty nice.

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celeb_...ps_off_for_new_perfume_ad_article_148504.html
Thanks, yea her hair does look nice. I didn't know she was doing a fragrance but the video was interesting about how they were trying to reproduce that era.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ASimpleLady said:

At beauty supply stores, setting lotions are with the black hair products. As long as you're getting a setting lotion, it won't make your hair too oily. Actually, you'll probably find that it dries out your hair.

You'll have to play with it to see what works for you. Some girls here dilute their setting lotion. This doesn't work for me and unless I use it full strength, I don't get the hold I need.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
Red - Look at your smashing new haircolor in your avatar. I love it!
(Now wishing I'd go back to red...)

Thank you! Actually that pic is from April... it was the brightest most beautiful red I've ever had it. If only it wasn't such a hassle to keep up! Next summer, I'm sure I'll go back!;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here's my first vintage do pic in a long time. I really regret cutting it. No matter what I do, I'm not happy with the vintage do's. This is a wet set, dried under a bonnet dryer at work (it was a slow day). While it gives a pretty decent 50's look, it makes my round face look even rounder. I guess I'll just keep waiting until it grows out. Would the short, straight (not betty) bangs look better?
1544429831_fedadc48d3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld