Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think having an opinion on something is fine. Making a comment along the lines of 'you'd be so beautiful if it wasn't for that big nose/false eye/lip piercing (delete as appropriate)' is just being rude.

Rhian, the piercing does not detract at all, you are a truly stunning woman!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, I am sure noone would disagree with that, though an opinion on the piercing was not asked for and there lies the reason why the comment was rude.

What's that saying? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" ... it works. I have to bite my lip on here sometimes, but I do it, out of respect for others feelings.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, I am sure noone would disagree with that, though an opinion on the piercing was not asked for and there lies the reason why the comment was rude.

What's that saying? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" ... it works. I have to bite my lip on here sometimes, but I do it, out of respect for others feelings.

A huge ditto to this!! Whenever I feel the need to respond to backhanded compliments I now rise above those people and turn the other cheek.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Backhanded "compliments" are rude and not very Golden-Era like!! lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Rhain, you are an utter beauty, with or without the piercing.........or the piercing comments.
I'm with Smuts on the pre-raphaelite thing you are the image of the Matyr of Solway
TheMartyroftheSolway.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
So my first attempt to style my hair after the inspirational photo that I got my hair cut after (slightly longer).

See I love this cut short at the neck, in thick soft curls.

Photoon2010-05-12at2223.jpg

I then tried to style mine today. Only difference in picture is tilt of head.

Photoon2010-05-12at2219.jpg
Photoon2010-05-12at22232.jpg

While I love it, I am thinking (realising is more like it) is that more 60s?? I am aiming as always for the 50s. But maybe Marilyns style was just unique and hap hazardly sexy, that looked Marilyn-esque only on her?

I am not a fan of the bouffant hairstyles, so does anyne have any tips for the hair to stay in the the thick locks and not fan out to become a uniform helmet? My hair has gotten so supersoft after being bleached .. yeah, go figure!!

Sorry for the rant - I do apologise if it makes no sense at all ;)

Smuterella

One Too Many
thats actually quite an unusual MM style, plus I find she was, at least in the 50's, quite loose with her hair.

You aren't far off though, at all. and she did have a quite timeless do.

If you want to get together and play with hairdos I'm always around. x

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Darhling, that is how I wear my hair on most days, but it looks completely different in red or brown hair ;) Is your hair a one-length bob or do you have layers? The key to keeping it soft curls and not bouffant helmet hair is layers. They don't need to be very short, but you do need them.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Oh Lisa it would be fab with a hairdo evening!! You would be the queen of Marilyn!!

Kamikat - I have layers, but because I have very thick hair, lots of it and this bleaching has made my hair so incredibly soft, it just falls out of the seperated curls and into uniform hair. I go in the office as Marilyn and go home as an extra from Mad Men.. not bad, but I would like to keep it in the curls.

Should I backcomb each curl a bit? or maybe use mousse when it is wet?

Smuterella

One Too Many
neither, do not be afraid to pin the seperate curls - really.

and wet sets are your friend.

shall we have a hair night then? give me somewhere to sleep and a glass of fizz and I'll be there. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
Kamikat - I have layers, but because I have very thick hair, lots of it and this bleaching has made my hair so incredibly soft, it just falls out of the seperated curls and into uniform hair. I go in the office as Marilyn and go home as an extra from Mad Men.. not bad, but I would like to keep it in the curls.

Should I backcomb each curl a bit? or maybe use mousse when it is wet?
I understand! I have thick hair and it's very damaged from changing my color all the time. Are you using any setting lotion when it's wet? That would help. Backcombing encourages mine to bouffant more. I usually use Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt when it's wet, then spray each curl with hairspray and smooth each curl as I spray. The problem with Marilyn hair is that it looks best with a larger curler, but the soft curls that come from the large curler falls out faster. Hot rollers (spray each section with hair spray or heat styler before rolling) tend to not look as good when it's fresh but the style stays the same longer. When I wear Marilyn hair, I have to wash and set every night.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been keeping up on this theard but having been posting. Probably becausw my hair look like cotton latley and I think I'll have to cut it very short.:rage:

That being said, everyone's hair looks amazing.
Voodoo Ktten- I love your soft curls.
Darhling-I love your new color. It so bombshell.
Rhian- You are stunning and your hair looks amazing, You have a very classic 40's look
chanteuseCarey-I love the way your hair came out and your dress is so glamourous.
Antje- Your hair always looks amazing, You have mad skills.

Rhian

New in Town
Ladies, thank you so much! I've been quietly admiring so many of you during my time on this forum, and can only aspire to your style and poise. Your words are very much appreciated and have truly been a bright spot in my week.

hailey greenhat, that's a good suggestion. I've worn a light layer of lip-liner on its own in the past, and I remember liking the effect.

chanteuseCarey, thank you also. I cut an old t-shirt into strips of about 1" by 10" to make the rags. Something that doesn't fray too much is ideal, otherwise you end up picking stray threads out of your hair, which is not very glamorous! It helps to place the rag along an old mascara tube, wrap the hair around both (wrap the end of the hair first, then roll up to the scalp), and tie a knot before slipping the tube out and tightening said knot.

Here's a giraffe-necked diagram of the set. I roll the hair downwards and slightly away from my face.

rag-roller-set.gif

The piercing does sometimes produce polarised opinions, which I am quite used to by now. :) I know such things are not for everyone. I've had it for some years and I continue to like it, but should I ever change my mind, it will be very easy to remove.

Inky, I keep hearing about Russian Red, and it's probably only a matter of time before I visit my nearest MAC counter. Thanks for the tip. :)

----

Voodoo Kitten, your curls look wonderfully soft. I love the flower.

retromama, I think that style is very elegant, and it really suits your face shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe