Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Inky said:
Lauren's book (1st and 2nd editions) are fantastic. I have both but haven't compared them yet. I know there are hairstyles in the 2nd edition that are not in the first (like the fabulous cover style!) and the manicure section is extended.

I will try to do a comparison for you this week, but I would say if you are eager, buy the 2nd edition - you won't be disappointed! I learned so much from the 1st edition - i was a total novice at curling my hair before!

Thanks, Inky! I look forward to it.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
LisaFreemontSt said:
I've been in touch w/ Lauren about reviewing her book on my channel and maybe demonstrating how well the book works by doing a couple of the styles. I'm anxious to try it too! She is so phenomenally talented!

Fantastic channel, Lisa! Your pincurls are great!

analiebe

A-List Customer
this is just gorgeous... you've inspired me to try more up-dos...

chanteuseCarey said:
Was looking for a person more local to me to do my hair. Here is the first try-out hairdo. She did not set it, but used a curling iron and lots of hair pins and bobby pins. They are still in there! Please forgive the weird face pic, I look tired plus I cannot see well without my glasses! I also got lash extensions done. I have on a tinted sunscreen instead of my usual foundation, I prefer the foundation for my 40s makeup. I look sunburned too!

This is VERY different than my previous wet roller sets, and I'm not sure about whether I like this yet... This stylist (a gal) is much younger and she didn't seem too interested in what I wanted done or how I wanted it to looki:(

What do you ladies think?? I had it done for a vintage themed Tea Party we are having at our home tomorrow afternoon. As soon as I hit the door our 15yo daughter went WOW and said she thinks it looks great. All the other stylists in the Salon really liked it. I think it could be a good fancy look wearing a long 40s evening gown at a dance or ball, but not sure about it for an everyday look.
372443610.jpg

372443455.jpg

372443462.jpg

Antje

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
I recently came across the book Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Modern Techniques by Lauren Rennells, 2nd edition. It looks great and I am wondering if any of you ladies have used the book and what you thought of it.

I know there is a first edition for sale in the Classifieds here, so I am also wondering what is the difference between first and 2nd editions?

I am interested in getting this book, so I would appreciate your reviews.
Thanks!

Don't hesitate, just buy the book,
it is great and I did a lot of styles already,
sorry no pics, 'cause I don't have my camera back yet.

There are some style's in the second edition that are not in the first one, but I think it is improved, I think the homemaker from edition two is better than the first one.
And there are some great beehive's styles in the second edition.

I gave the first one to my sister in law who totally loves it, and I know she wanted the second one also.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh my GOSH, its like a 30s Bobbed style...

Day FOUR: I aqua net sprayed my hair heavily last night (actually very, very early this morning as I was online past 12am) and then put on the sleep bonnet before going off to sleep. I took out the two clips but left in the three bobby pins helping to hold the sides up off my face.

This is what it looked like when I took the sleep bonnet off this morning. I love it- especially the middle and lower part of the BACK! Sorry for the un-made up face, but I wanted to get a quick pic BEFORE I got into the tub and possibly wrecked it. I tilted my face down a little to get the reflection of the flash from showing in my eyeglass lenses, so they look funny here. Okay, yeah so this is what I really look like first thing in the morning! Hey, makeup is "A Good Thing"...:p Yes, its getting time to have the roots done or a recolor.
372703618.jpg

372703637.jpg

Antje

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Day FOUR: I aqua net sprayed my hair heavily last night (actually very, very early this morning as I was online past 12am) and then put on the sleep bonnet before going off to sleep. I took out the two clips but left in the three bobby pins helping to hold the sides up off my face.

This is what it looked like when I took the sleep bonnet off this morning. I love it- especially the middle and lower part of the BACK! Sorry for the un-made up face, but I wanted to get a quick pic BEFORE I got into the tub and possibly wrecked it. I tilted my face down a little to get the reflection of the flash from showing in my eyeglass lenses, so they look funny here. Okay, yeah so this is what I really look like first thing in the morning! Hey, makeup is "A Good Thing"...:p Yes, its getting time to have the roots done or a recolor.
372703618.jpg

372703637.jpg

It looks like a Jean Harlow do great job

SayCici

Practically Family
Hair style from a few days ago:
2009-08-2312-45-29968.jpg

2009-08-2312-45-23000.jpg

Yesterday I finally got some setting lotion (the Motions kind!) and used it following this pattern (the second one). I used it mostly to get volume in the front and a curl at the end. My hair isn't long enough to get the wave at the end. Result (excuse my pajamas!):
2009-08-2512-49-00234.jpg

2009-08-2512-49-20453.jpg

I am really happy with the Motions. My hair isn't crunchy or greasy looking.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
SayCici said:
Hair style from a few days ago:
2009-08-2312-45-29968.jpg

2009-08-2312-45-23000.jpg

Yesterday I finally got some setting lotion (the Motions kind!) and used it following this pattern (the second one). I used it mostly to get volume in the front and a curl at the end. My hair isn't long enough to get the wave at the end. Result (excuse my pajamas!):
2009-08-2512-49-00234.jpg

2009-08-2512-49-20453.jpg

I am really happy with the Motions. My hair isn't crunchy or greasy looking.

Darling! What a lovely face you have...the hair is just the right length to show it off!

Christy

One of the Regulars
I don't post very much but I wanted to share a picture of my hair. I had it set in sponge curlers the night before and I used Lottabody setting lotion. It was over a 100 that day so I didn't feel like wearing any lipstick. Also, I've decided change my hair color, I'm going to go to a darker brunette. Whenever I post a picture it turns out giant, so I'm just going to post the link instead.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii72/christyspurling/VintageHair.jpg

Hestia

Familiar Face
Aw, SayCici, what cute little forehead curls you have!

Here's today's do, a french twist with some combs on the sides.

3860286432_19ebdd42bc.jpg

3859491251_887e262dfc_m.jpg

Changed my shirt between the 2 photos because I discovered a massive tear under the arms of the first one! :( I'll try to salvage it later, I love that shirt!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Would someone mind offering some feedback/suggestions for my pincurl set above? I'm not really sure if that is what it is supposed to look like or how I can improve it.
I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Vanessa

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
My hair is long-ish (a bit past the shoulders) and layered, although somewhat grown out by this point.. Because of the length, I had to curl the hair twice around before pinning it. I curled the hair in the way the hair seemed to want to go (if that makes any sense). I do not have setting lotion and did not use any product except for some shine serum.

Was your hair completely wet when you curled? If you curl when it is damp, it will help you force the curl direction, rather then letting it go where it wants to. Did you let it dry completely? (at least 12 hours?)

Your curls look a little big - how big/tightly rolled did you make each pincurl?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
SweetieStarr said:
Would someone mind offering some feedback/suggestions for my pincurl set above? I'm not really sure if that is what it is supposed to look like or how I can improve it.
I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Not sure if you're asking me but I wanted to say that your natural wave is beautiful! Don't fight it. But if you want to do pincurls, I suggest continuing to practice and learning from each set. Try using setting lotion if you like...some people have great results. Follow a setting pattern...there are some great ones on this board. And if the setting lotion doesnt work for you, try just spraying them damp. That's all I do but my hair is a very different texture from yours. Also, you might try a simple 'putty' on the ends of each section which will help prevent any flyaways and would probably work well for you since you don't have super fine hair. :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi Ladies...

I just took a brief looksie through this thread to catch up and I am floored with the hair that you all are achieving! Special shout out to ChanteuseCarey... that do with all the formed curls is breathtaking!

Here are some ways I have been wearing my hair for recent shoots. All styles are styled by moi. :-D

3854335726_d5ee51efe5_o.jpg

3767360163_d1a054af1e_o.jpg

3859912721_63f7116907_o.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Vanessa said:
Was your hair completely wet when you curled? If you curl when it is damp, it will help you force the curl direction, rather then letting it go where it wants to. Did you let it dry completely? (at least 12 hours?)

Your curls look a little big - how big/tightly rolled did you make each pincurl?

Thanks, Vanessa. Yes, my hair was completely wet. Is that not how to do a "wet set?" I set it in the morning and then took it out in the evening.
I don't think it was quite 12 hours, but it was pretty dry all the way through.

Since my hair is long, I wrapped each piece around itself twice, then pinned. They were not huge, but not very tight either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe