Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Slow FPS is fine by me. I'll take slow moving mass with utter stopping capability all day long. The main reason cited for the overall vilification of the 9MM is it's high rate of speed and pointy nature leading to overpenetration. Essentially setting the stage for the .40 cal, of which I am not a fan. Political round. No real reason for it. My .02 at least,

DerMann

Practically Family
carebear said:
The 5.56 only has a 62 gr bullet. [huh]

Yep. Not a heavy round by any means, just interesting to me.

Diamondback said:
And also, the .45ACP is a pretty slow round, only about 800fps, firmly in the "subsonic" category.

800'.....60sec....60min....1mi.
---- X ------ X ------ X ----- = ~545.5MPH, or Mach 0.72 at sea-level.
1sec....1min......1hr.......5280'.

The standard military load for the Mk.II would peak at around 650FPS. A lot of people who hand load .455 MK.II have reached speeds as high as 750FPS with the standard Mk.II brass and 265 RNHB bullet. The .455 Mk.II is significantly slower than the .45ACP round - traveling at something like 440MPH.

rmrdaddy said:
Slow FPS is fine by me. I'll take slow moving mass with utter stopping capability all day long. The main reason cited for the overall vilification of the 9MM is it's high rate of speed and pointy nature leading to overpenetration. Essentially setting the stage for the .40 cal, of which I am not a fan. Political round. No real reason for it. My .02 at least,

My reasoning for the use of .455 as a military round is made obvious with this GIF from the movie ZULU!:

Webley-to-face.gif

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
"A 9mm might expand, but a .45 won't shrink."

Amen Deacon! Any any poor fool looking at the end of a .45 barrel and seeing the giant black eye staring at them MAY just repent before you!! lol

rumblefish

One Too Many
DerMann said:
My reasoning for the use of .455 as a military round is made obvious with this GIF from the movie ZULU!:

Yeah, but if the trigger hadn't been pulled, he woulda had his eye poked out. :p :)

A BB gun might have had the same results. ;)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Valid.
But, I for one would not want a Zulu warrior THAT close to me with an ounce of an idea of a modicum of an inkling of a fight left in him. :eek:
Completely neutralizing the enemy is the ONLY option, IMHO. :eusa_clap :D

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Zulu great Movie ! I loved the part where they sat there listening to the " Train ". The .45 ACP was also adopted as a " Man Stopper " during Americas involvement in the Phillipines. The local guerrillas the Moros (?) were jacked up on drugs. The .38 did not fare too well but the .45 did. A friend of mine told me a story about his experience with the .38. He was an Armed Guard and his friend had to use his during a scuffle. The Guard put 2-3 rounds through the guy but he was still fighting. When they finally subdued the guy they found 2 bullets inside his shirt ! It went straight through the guy without putting him down.

Story

I'll Lock Up
DutchIndo said:
The .45 ACP was also adopted as a " Man Stopper " during Americas involvement in the Phillipines. The local guerrillas the Moros (?) were jacked up on drugs. .

Technically, the 45ACP came in at the very tail end of the Moro experience (1899-1913) but the campaign did precipitate the re-issuance of .45 Long Colt revolvers and sped up the .45 Automatic program - first with the 1905 (not many made), then the 1911.
See
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_53/ai_n27126481
and
http://veritas1911.blogspot.com/2006/04/philippine-american-war-influence-on.html

DerMann

Practically Family
I've heard both that the natives were on some sort of drug essentially making them immune to pain and that the .38 had a hard time penetrating their shields. They both seem fairly conceivable, but the .45 isn't really known for it's penetration [huh]

On the subject of "man stoppers":

43.gif

The British adopted them for use in their service revolvers for a short amount of time. Basically a hollowpoint, except the most of the bullet is (the base is always hollow on .455 projectiles). From what I have read, they were extremely effective.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me what kind of rifle my grandfather is carrying in this photo? It's taken in the early 50's, in Israel (possibly during the 1956 War, but I'm not sure).

2755225879_3ce042b429.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd post this video from about a week ago.

Seems the world turned sideways when I started filming but I didn't notice. [huh]

The M-1 is a franken-rifle pieced together by a friend of mine before he sold it to me. Most parts are USGI, barrel dated in the 1950s. Reciever and stock are new, made by CAI and Boyd respectively. I'm not a fan of CAI recievers but I haven't had any trouble with this one so I'll keep it for now.

You'll note I flinched on the second trigger pull. :rolleyes: As they say, the loudest sound a shooter will ever hear is a click when you're expecting a bang or a bang when you're expecting a click.

The failure to feed was due to crappy modern en bloc clips and rarely ever happens.

Sound is a little off too.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
It's a Sten gun allright, If my information is correct it was developed by 2 designers Shepard and Turpin. They worked for Enfield (Shepard-Turpin-Enfield- STEN) at a cost of about 6.00 a pop it was easily manufactured. From what I understand it was made in 9mm because the Brits had captured a stockpile during an early campaign in Italy. There are about 3 variations along with some Australian versions (AUSTEN). The Germans even had a version ! They were made in the vast quantities to drop behind enemy lines. One can still find "Parts Kits" at gunshows which is scary. Crude but effective it was loved or hated as most war time guns go. I think they look cool even over the German MP38. My Father recalls seeing them all over the place in Indonesia after the War. In fact he owned one at the age of 13 !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe