Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia, it's a darling dress, especially with the pink cardi over it. I love seeing everyone's incarnations of the same pattern.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
orangewomen.jpg

orangewomen2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dakotanorth,

I lOVE them!! They look great! and my hubby would love for the shirts. I have a number of vintage shirt patterns that he picked up. They are awaiting their turn...and some nice fabric. Joann fabrics just doesn't seem to be cutting it.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
dakotanorth said:
Ok, finally, I had pictures of some of the things I've made. There are also dozens of items I have altered, repaired, redyed, relined, but technically I didn't make those, so they don't count.
Also keep in mind, the pictures are sloppy- most of this stuff has been smashed in my closet for some time.
Also, this is a SAMPLE of things I've made- a lot of darker color just don't photo well! Maybe I'll post a few more things though.

Enjoy!

redstar.jpg

brownplaid.jpg

twoblue.jpg

salmonpants.jpg

salmonpants2.jpg

orangewomen.jpg

orangewomen2.jpg

The red pair are amazing!

Snookie

Practically Family
dakotanorth said:
Ok, finally, I had pictures of some of the things I've made. There are also dozens of items I have altered, repaired, redyed, relined, but technically I didn't make those, so they don't count.
Also keep in mind, the pictures are sloppy- most of this stuff has been smashed in my closet for some time.
Also, this is a SAMPLE of things I've made- a lot of darker color just don't photo well! Maybe I'll post a few more things though.

Enjoy!

redstar.jpg

brownplaid.jpg

twoblue.jpg

salmonpants.jpg

salmonpants2.jpg

orangewomen.jpg

orangewomen2.jpg

dakotanorth, very nice job! Colorblocking has become my favorite technique this last year -- such a good way to use up fabric bits, and even makes solid colors look more vintage.

What's the lining in the top red jacket? I like.

BTW, I think there are many ladies who would gladly do you a favor and, erm, press those orange slacks of yours...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks so much, gals!
Snookie, I made that one for a client. I actually had it up on ebay and the lady who won is wearing it to a play in Williamsburg after Christmas! Pretty exciting :) Thanks!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Jackets for men?

goldwyn girl said:
dakotanorth, what fabulous things you have made :eusa_clap I want to do a jacket like that for my hubby but I can't find a pattern.

Pink, your dress is smashing!!!

Thank you!

The men's jacket pattern pop up on Ebay from time to time- for the yoke-front layout you can use a solid jacket front, you just have to divide it up and add for seam allowance. If you have an original jacket of that design you can take measurements and imitate what you see.
The more I think about it, I really believe repairing/rebuilding vintage teaches you A LOT about the clothing. You have to be able to imitate the original work in order to hide your repairs!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lauren stunning work as always! May I ask where you got the mink? I've been looking forever for some good faux fur!
I like how you used the design of the brocade/jacquard on the back of the silver gown... oooooooh!

Dakotanorth, awesome work. I love the side button slacks too!! Great detailing on everything.

Goldwyn the jumper is great, fits you perfectly. Like the color on you too!

Pink, I think you did a fab job. Wontcha please tell what is bugging you about it cuz I surely can't tell! That fabric is gorgeous!
Nikki

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
Pink, I think you did a fab job. Wontcha please tell what is bugging you about it cuz I surely can't tell! That fabric is gorgeous!
Nikki

Thanks Nikki! I used the sweater to carefully conceal flaws. No one at the party noticed either. ;)
There's a couple tiny folds in the waist that aren't supposed to be there. It's fixable but by the time that version was done I had already sewed the waist at least 3 times! I'm still no super seamstress. :eek:

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Wow Lauren, those Bustle dresses are beautiful! I fell in love with bustle dresses when our local chapter of the Australian Costumer's Guild did a Victorian event. This is my dress here with my boy and my favourite shot showing the back.

I've made a couple of 50's dresses, worn to a few ACG events, which has convinced me to take my love of the clothing into everyday life :D

The first one I made was actually the dress that Rose Tyler wears in Dr Who when they go back in time to the 50's. As soon as I saw her outfit I knew I jsut had to make it! :D

I made the dress (circle skirt attached to a strapless ruched bodice with cream trimming) but the jacket was modified from one I bought. I made the sleeves shorter, and used the leftover fabric for the pockets.
There's a few more pictures here.

The next one I made was Vogue 2903, a beautiful 50's outfit!

I'd had some gorgeous floral print fabric sitting in my stash for over a year and I realised it would be perfect with this dress. Unfortunately it's incredibly difficult to match the colours as it's khaki foliage with watermelon flowers! The first time I wore it with white pointy stilettos, though I realised that it was too much white. So I added the khaki ribbon around the waist and wore it with red shoes (shown in the photos). The last time I wore it I had misplaced my red shoes so i wore it with a beautiful pair of mushroomy green t-bar heels that I had fallen in love with (and thought would be perfect for a 50's outfit!). I really love this dress, though it's a little too big around the bust so it has a tendancy to gape. Also I never got around to putting the sleeves on (in fact I found them whilst I was tidying up, still pinned to the pattern piece!!).

The last one was an outfit I put together for our ACG Christmas party, where we went skating. My mum actually made the skirt and petticoat so I hope it's ok to put it in here :D

I was going for the young 50's girl look, as we were going skating. It's a full circle skirt with a frill, with a dusty pink soft chiffon petticoat. The shirt is just a short sleeved button up, but I really love the belt! My mum has had it for years, but never fitted it so she gave it to me! I absolutely love it and plan on wearing it a lot!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you so much, ladies! I love making big poufy dresses :)

Last_Chael, your Victorian dress is gorgeous! Did you make it? I love it! And your dresses are so cute! I just saw Dr Who for the first time and I saw the 50's episode! My old roomie fell in love with him and when she came to visit she brought the dvds with her. Fun show :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe