Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
You two look so cute together! Is that the KwikSew men's bowling shirt pattern? I love it!

Thank you kamikat ;) it is the very pattern you recommended - and I made a straight XL with no alterations, not even for length. He loves it and wants another!! I have some of that tea-stained tattoo fabric and some solid green to make him a different one. Such a great men's shirt pattern - thank you for recommending it!!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Inky, Great outfit! I doubt you guys were over dressed--everyone else were UNDER dressed! I'm sure you set a fine example for future reunions :eusa_clap

By the way, how did your brown dress work out?

Inky

One Too Many
Inky, Great outfit! I doubt you guys were over dressed--everyone else were UNDER dressed! I'm sure you set a fine example for future reunions :eusa_clap

By the way, how did your brown dress work out?

I shall look at it that way, Wire9Vintage, thank you so much :D

I did take the brown dress (which fit me beautifully but may need the hem shortened). After a week in Michigan and seeing how casual everyone was dressed for everything, we opted to dress down as much as we are capable of, so the dress remains unworn and looking for a special occasion (probably the first blues dance of the season in September!).

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
[QUOTE
peasant1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh my too many sewn lovelies to comment on they are all simply wonderful. What a talented bunch you are.

I especially like Laurens blouse- very patriotic. I have a weakness for anything like that (mind you I have many weaknesses on the clothes front……shoes, hats, jewellery….general vintage junk :rolleyes: …. Could go on and on but I’m straying!)
I too like red, white and blue being British lass
Well done all….

God Save the Queen! :D

BoPeep

Practically Family
How fun, Inky! You guys look great. I've made a mechanic's shirt for my hubby (vintage pattern) but will have to pick up this KwikSew bowling shirt. How versatile with that inset. You could make his shirt match every outfit of your own! Okay, that could get obnoxious. lol

PS. Lauren, beautiful as always. You can't go wrong with eyelet!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Inky said:
okay, I am going to try very hard to find ample time to sew - you are all so very inspiring!!

I managed to make up a skirt from some vintage border print that was in my stash for a while now - it is a saloon themed border print. I also made the hubby's shirt, but it's not vintage ;) This photo was taken prior to my husband's 20th high school reunion last weekend while we were on vacation in Michigan. It was held in an old barn and I thought we'd look cute - well, we did but we were VERY overdressed!!

I am especially thrilled with the necklace as it matches the skirt very well and I found it at an antique store just a few hours before the reunion.

34749_10150202405125174_799875173_13336525_8053390_n.jpg

Love the skirt, and the shirt! What pattern did you use for your DH's shirt? That looks great!

Inky

One Too Many
BoPeep said:
How fun, Inky! You guys look great. I've made a mechanic's shirt for my hubby (vintage pattern) but will have to pick up this KwikSew bowling shirt. How versatile with that inset. You could make his shirt match every outfit of your own! Okay, that could get obnoxious. lol

Thanks BoPeep!! We do like to coordinate our outfits when we go out - this was a happy accident really as we both had something else in mind to wear that night but chose this instead.

I should make us some matchy outfits - it would be kind of fun (or am I becoming my own grandmother now? haha)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
SheBear74 said:
Yeah we do, she likes the muted color and I love saturated. I do like black, but can't wear it because of my cats! Fur everywhere!lol

Anyone have any pattern suggestions for this type of dress? I just love it!

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro...true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=
I would keep an eye out for 50's patterns on ebay. I have never seen anything exactly like that but i do see alot of 50's and early 60's patterns with wide set straps and interesting bodices and lots of them in your size.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
opinions on this pattern?

Photobud said:
I used the swing era Sense and Sensability pattern ( http://sensibility.com/patterns/1940s-swing-dress-pattern/ )
TimmieWTF

springbeaktoquince203-1.jpg

Photobud and anyone else who has used this pattern, opinions? Is it a tie-back? How well does it get the era? I like the look, but I wonder if it is vintage enough, or might run the risk of looking like a regular modern dress. I suppose the fabric choice would be a biggy.

Photobud, how well does the waist inset show up in real life? I like that part in particular, but in your photo, it doesn't show up very strongly.

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
OMG! I've just spent the last week working my way through this thread. I'm amazed and inspired by the talent and inventiveness of all the women on this thread.

I'm so inspired by all of you to pull the sewing machine out a little more often. I made Vogue v2401 about a year ago after not sewing much for nearly 10 years...goodness was that not a good pattern to ease myself back into it! The most torturous, fiendish pattern grrr. Turned out well and I've worn it a bit, but as someone else commented, it's not a good outfit for a windy day, or for sitting decorously.

Currently making the butterick 4790 in black and red satin, when I get some pics I'll post them.

Wishing I had the time to create more, but a 40hr a week job, house and kid = extreme time suckage lol Still planning on digging out my old pattern making blocks and see what I can come up with.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments! I changed the bottom from gathers to pleats. This is the pattern I used, I have made this one a couple times and really like it!

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzEtMjAxMDA1MTgtMjA1N.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
kymeratale said:
Photobud and anyone else who has used this pattern, opinions? Is it a tie-back? How well does it get the era? I like the look, but I wonder if it is vintage enough, or might run the risk of looking like a regular modern dress. I suppose the fabric choice would be a biggy.

Photobud, how well does the waist inset show up in real life? I like that part in particular, but in your photo, it doesn't show up very strongly.

I'm the plus-sized model on the pattern website. I've made several of them. The designer used an actual vintage pattern as the base and made very few adjustments, other than grading the sizes. The waist inset depends mostly on color. If you choose a light color, it shows up nicely, but it tends to hide on darker colors. It does have a tie in the back. In my mind, how vintage or modern it looks depends on your fit. If you look at the pattern site and the S&S gallery, the more modern versions are much looser. If you take care to really fit the shoulders and neckline area and use shoulder pads, it will give a more authentic look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe