Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren said:
I look so much like my mom in this picture it's scary.
polkadotskirts.jpg

Ive has a similar freak out when I took a pic of me in a dress I recently made. It *is* scary lol

Great out fit ya got there :)

LD

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
I finished my halloween kitty dress tonight! Yay!
kittydress1s.jpg
I love this! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I just love the novelty fabrics for it. What are you going to wear this for? (I think I need to make one at some point, so I saved the photo for reference later).

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Inky - I made the skirt from that pattern awhile ago. Despite the skirt going together really well - it also came out just the slightest bit too large in the waist. I agree with the people who said that your pants do not look too high. Your pants look great.

Inky

One Too Many
Thanks Amy Jeane and Miss Merl for the feedback on the high-waist of these pants. Maybe I feel that way because as I wore them I kept having to yank them up higher - I'm going to give them a wash and then take in the back seem about an inch and see how I feel. They were meant to be my lazy day jeans so it's all good - I just want to get a better fit before I attempt them again!

still searching for a good black washable trouser fabric....

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I think the nature of the top of those pants will always make them feel a little odd. Since there is no waistband. For my knock around pants - I think I am going to try Simplicity 3688. I think the waistband will be better for stay up! I too have been holding off on black pants (with the same pattern with the cute dip in front) for the same reasons. Fabrics can be so yecky these days. And my town has NO fabric store - unless you quilt.

Inky

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
I think the nature of the top of those pants will always make them feel a little odd. Since there is no waistband. For my knock around pants - I think I am going to try Simplicity 3688. I think the waistband will be better for stay up! I too have been holding off on black pants (with the same pattern with the cute dip in front) for the same reasons. Fabrics can be so yecky these days. And my town has NO fabric store - unless you quilt.

Maybe that's the reason - I like that Simplicity pattern as well, it's on my shopping list for next time they go on sale, as is the adorable modern yet vintage ones that Miss Smith just made with the hip tabs!

We have two fabric stores here in adjacent towns, and one has some beautiful ancient stock, but it's all wool and i want something washable - and yes, both are overrun with quilting cottons and prom/bridal satins.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
We have two fabric stores here in adjacent towns, and one has some beautiful ancient stock, but it's all wool and i want something washable - and yes, both are overrun with quilting cottons and prom/bridal satins.

Wool can be washable. What seems to work best is a flat weave, like men's suiting. If it's fuzzy, it doesn't seem to work as well. You need to wash and dry it before cutting, then wash in cold and hang to dry as your regular wash. If you're nervous about trying it, buy 1/4yrd first and try it.

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Wool can be washable. What seems to work best is a flat weave, like men's suiting. If it's fuzzy, it doesn't seem to work as well. You need to wash and dry it before cutting, then wash in cold and hang to dry as your regular wash. If you're nervous about trying it, buy 1/4yrd first and try it.

yikes - that does sound scary, especially at the prices they want! if i can't find any soon I will try that route. I want them wearable and easy to care for.

must do a bit of sewing today on the hubby's unfinished b-day present! he want's to wear it to the silent movie on 10/17, so now I have DEADLINE!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Yeah, I wash wool sometimes too. Not my tweeds. Just because, like Kamikat said fuzzy...I sometimes don't want even a slight change in texture. But my wool suiting, often. And just like she said before cutting. I have also tested on occasion to see if it will shrink so much that I will have to buy a lot or forgo the fabric because it will turn into something resembling boiled wool!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
yikes - that does sound scary, especially at the prices they want! if i can't find any soon I will try that route. I want them wearable and easy to care for.

must do a bit of sewing today on the hubby's unfinished b-day present! he want's to wear it to the silent movie on 10/17, so now I have DEADLINE!
If you don't need it right away, you can get wool suiting at an affordable price online. Fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-suiting-fabric-designer-stretch-wool-suiting-fabric-designer-stretch-wool-suiting-black.aspx has a nice black stretch wool suiting for $9.98 per yrd. FFC has a nice black wool gab for $10 per yrd http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=CCC344

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
If you don't need it right away, you can get wool suiting at an affordable price online. Fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-suiting-fabric-designer-stretch-wool-suiting-fabric-designer-stretch-wool-suiting-black.aspx has a nice black stretch wool suiting for $9.98 per yrd. FFC has a nice black wool gab for $10 per yrd http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=CCC344

thanks for those links, kamikat! i'll check them out - i just want some black pants for winter, such as it is here anyway :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks, gals :) MarieAnne- I made a big floofy petticoat and that's what makes the skirt so huge! And the polka dot skirt has some tulle in it as well. Unfortunately the polka dot skirt isn't wide enough at the bottom for the petticoat so it kind of looks like a bell shape instead of just poofy, but whatever. ha. I guess I'll have to add a flared petticoat to the "to make" list.

Inky, I really love those pants! I think the waist treatment is adorable and they don't look too high to me :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I love the hats, Lady Day. I have that pattern but haven't attemped it yet.
I love everything that's been posted here latley.
I am on vacation so I hope to get alot of sewing done.
I am making this for my sister an will try to get a pic of her in it when I am finished. It won't fit on my dressmaker's dummy. The pocket and yoke are eyelet and I made the bias binding myself. I was tempted to just purchase it.
229c099f769c.jpg

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
I love the hats, Lady Day. I have that pattern but haven't attemped it yet.
I love everything that's been posted here latley.
I am on vacation so I hope to get alot of sewing done.
I am making this for my sister an will try to get a pic of her in it when I am finished. It won't fit on my dressmaker's dummy. The pocket and yoke are eyelet and I made the bias binding myself. I was tempted to just purchase it.
229c099f769c.jpg

I think I have this pattern...is it an American Weekly? It looks super cute.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
miss_smith said:
I think I have this pattern...is it an American Weekly? It looks super cute.
It's anne adams. I must have messed up when I traced it because it's a size 14 and it fits me.I amd normally betwin a 16-18 for 50's and earlier patterns. I am going to have to take it partialy appart and re sew it because my sister is much smaller than I. The good news is that I can make one for my self with out re tracing the pattern.

Blondie

Practically Family
Wonderful ! I think they look fab on you, not too high at all.
And when i first saw this pic i thought you were wearing some sort of Carmen Miranda hat , after i put my glasses on i realised it was a clock you were standing in front of.;)
Was this a difficult pattern to make ?
3940580197_3b4d56c026.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld