Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Haha, hay Kamikat!
You posted your reply while I wrote mine. So now you get your very own post;) Thanks for the compliments. I'll make the dress according to my bust size and like LizzieMaine suggested I will play around with the seam allowances and pinning before actually assembling the pieces. I think I might even lower the waist a tiny bit; I thought it sat a little high.
I think the shirt will be more complicated. I plan on making the C shirt next (in a really cute 'light blue background with cherries' fabric.) It will be easier to experiment without the yokes. The shirt is just baggy up top. My cup size has been all over the map lately. I had a baby in April and since then I've gone from a C to a DD, back to a C and now down to an A. I think I'll be an A for a while. I'll try to gather up the courage to play with the side darts and shoulders. And I think I will have to increase the seam allowance more at the top than at the waist. We'll see.
I 'll look around for Real Fit for Real People. I've already bought the How to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunn. I've read and studied the book but I am having difficulty taking my own measurements so Real Fit for Real People would be great. But I might just take a course on pattern drafting/construction. That way I might meet people with similar interests in my area!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
MarieAnne said:
Here is a dress and a shirt I've made. I've only been sewing for a little while. The dress is only the third article of clothing I've made and the shirt is the fourth. The first thing I ever made was a western shirt for my husband. I didn't realize seam allowances were included and his shirt went from size large to size FRIDGE. It fits OVER his winter jacket, it's pretty funny.
Sadly almost everything I make for myself is too big. I have difficulty choosing pattern sizes because my bust if bigger than my hips and my waist is tiny. I read (I think on eBay) that if your proportions don't match measurements, to go by hip size. What do you guys think? I think it's time to make muslin my friend. Any advice on resizing shirts with yokes? How do I make sure the yoke and lower bodice still line up?

DSC01079.jpg

Someone posted this on dressaday awhile back, and it goes over some great fitting/sewing techniques for these old patterns. (Plus, it is freaking hilarious--I'm sure alot of you have seen this already. I want to watch it daily...:) ) It shows the pattern fitting method Lizzie Maine was talking about.
To get it right, one must be willing to invest some serious time into each garment....ugh. :) I am finding that I *must* make a muslin for each piece I am working on or else I end up wasting precious fabric. However, after doing so, the rewards are very great.
Also....you are an itty bitty kitty, so i think it is safe to go with your bust measurement instead of your hips. 34 inch hips? Mylanta! If only.....

Pattern for Smartness Link

Enjoy! Good Luck!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Rachael said:
This is a good resource published by current pattern companies:

http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/fitbrochure/fitbroch.pdf

just remember that pattern sizes have changed a bit over the years, although not as much as ready-to-wear, so if you are using a vintage pattern you may need to adjust a bit. You can check this by measuring the actual pattern pieces (remember to subtract for seam allowance).

Rachael... that is some great information, I printed it out.. and Will be using it when making my first dress! I love the step by step details on expanding the bust line :)!
Thank You!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Here are some pics of the Christening gown i made for my nephew>i apologize for the quality of some of the pictures, i can't seem to take a decent snapshot today at all:)
ceb65249.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm really proud of the pintucks...

d7f5b800.jpg
[/IMG]

26965d6d.jpg
[/IMG]

and a little bit of embroidery on the bottom..

c8f713e3.jpg
[/IMG]

sorry about all the wrinkles..i washed it, and was just hanging it to dry..i guess i could have waited to press it brfore i took the pics..oh well, you get the idea:)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
olive bleu said:
Here are some pics of the Christening gown i made for my nephew>i apologize for the quality of some of the pictures, i can't seem to take a decent snapshot today at all:)
ceb65249.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm really proud of the pintucks...

d7f5b800.jpg
[/IMG]

26965d6d.jpg
[/IMG]

and a little bit of embroidery on the bottom..

c8f713e3.jpg
[/IMG]

sorry about all the wrinkles..i washed it, and was just hanging it to dry..i guess i could have waited to press it brfore i took the pics..oh well, you get the idea:)

That is beautiful! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You gals have made some lovely things!

Here is my latest.
Madeline3357.jpg
front-34.jpg

Summer is ending, so I figured one more sun dress for the season. This is my first shirt dress. Because of the pattern around the bottom, I didnt want to cut it up, so I laid out the gores accordingly so the seams acted like large darts shaping the skirt :)

I put a zipper in this, but now that I think about it, I didnt need to cause all the buttons are functional :eusa_doh:

The fabrics was damaged tho, the green pattern had a run down one side, so I used that for the back of the bodice, so if Im wearing a sweater (more than likely) it wont show!

backdetail.jpg

It was a very simple pattern, and I do so luv all dem' gores!

It needs to be hemmed and I am going to make a solid green belt. Other than that, its ready to go.

Thanks all.

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Man Oh Mighty

Making this bad boy was a very humbling experience---even though I have been sewing off and on for years I have much, much to learn. :) More tucks and darts and topstitching than I am used to.

I traced the pattern,

simp3264.jpg

made a mock up in muslin, and now I am almost finished.....it just needs hemming on the sleeves and skirt and a belt. It is actually a darker and more vibrant green than this photo suggests--wool blend crepey stuff.

Here it is on my dummy, Rosalind.

30s3.jpg

I think I will make a simple skirt next.....before my head explodes. :)

MissAmelina said:
Making this bad boy was a very humbling experience---even though I have been sewing off and on for years I have much, much to learn. :) More tucks and darts and topstitching than I am used to.

I traced the pattern,

simp3264.jpg

made a mock up in muslin, and now I am almost finished.....it just needs hemming on the sleeves and skirt and a belt. It is actually a darker and more vibrant green than this photo suggests--wool blend crepey stuff.

30s3.jpg

Oh MY !!!:eek: That is simply STUNNING!!!!!!:eusa_clap

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:

I traced the pattern,

simp3264.jpg

30s3.jpg

That is lovely :eusa_clap

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Thank you so much! Now I am just trying to decide what to do about the neck closure---if you look at the pattern drawing, the figure on the left has a ribbon punched thru either side of the collar and then it is tied in a bow. Maybe a piece of dark green velveteen ribbon would look nice? Or some kind of pendant? I've come this far and I am so afraid to slit holes in it!:eek: Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you kindly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe