Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder holsters?

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place - if so, then by all means move it).

By chance, would anyone here happen to know anything about shoulder rigs prior to the Second World War? I have a friend who's looking to find something that'd fit in during the early to mid '30s, but it's apparently something of an elusive subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I'm no expert, but I would venture a guess that your not going to find much at all because you're talking about a time period when almost all revolvers and pistols were "side arms" almost exclusively. The only place just aout anyone put them was on their hip.

For a serious answer, i would shoot an email to the NRA fiream's Museum.

http://www.nationalfirearmsmuseum.org/

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also check John Bianchi's "Blue Steel and Gun Leather" and Ed McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting", to name a couple from my library.

In general, if you want to know about guns and gear from a period, look for the books written in that period, many are out of print but still available used online and in stores.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
AeroDillo said:
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place - if so, then by all means move it).

By chance, would anyone here happen to know anything about shoulder rigs prior to the Second World War? I have a friend who's looking to find something that'd fit in during the early to mid '30s, but it's apparently something of an elusive subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good Day,
You will find what you are looking for at El Paso Saddelry, El Paso Texas(website is http://www.epsaddelry.com) it used to be known as Myer's Saddelry. Or just Tio Sam's. Started in professional gunfighter goodies in 1889 or so.They still make 1920-1930's era leather of fine quality. For a high hip style try a Threepersons High ride. Check their catalog. Not cost prohibited either.
Lawerence is good, but hard to find original patterns. Queries for "Wild Bunch Rules" side match at SASS, will give you mucho references for that era.
Warmest regards,
G.Ashe:) :) :) :)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Shoulder holsters of 1930 era

Being a person of A+++++++ personality, AFTER giving you a reference to Tio Sam's, I HAD to check and insure that I was correct. I was. Am. Whatever!
You WILL be able to locate exactly what you are looking for, revolver or semi-auto. It will NOT be cheap. Just acccurate using the original patterns to accomodate the weapons of your choice.

The address is: http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-18-shoulder-holsters

That'll do it. Please let me know if you need more. As a side note, Tio Sam (he was alive then)made my first Threepersons strong side for a S&W .38-44 4inch. That was in 1950.
Wish I still had both.
I am looking for a Berns-Martin original(not a copy) for an N frame S&W 4incher. Right hand, in excellent condition.
Copies will NOT do. If any should hear of one, please do advise.

Dash Cham,
G.Ashe:) :)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Answering my own question.........

...is a bit weird, however I have found the Berns-Martin Holsters I was searching for.
C.Rusty Sherrick, Customs Holster maker, whose work may be viewed at:
http://www.c.rusty.com
recreates vintage and modern era holsters and belts utilizing the exact patterns of the original makers. Wonderful quality as far as I can observe, and exactly what I am looking for.

Shoulder holsters as well. All work is custom and faithful to the original.
Dash Cham,
Gideon;)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Modeling a holster?

Well,...sure. Why not?
I'll be placing my order sometime in the next week. A little time for the work to be done (What? Twelve to twenty weeks for most custom leather work?), A little break in practice, and then teaching my lovely wife how to work the non vintage digital camera.
I will be ordering a strong side B-M, in Black basket with a 1 1/2in loop for an N-Frame S&W.
Extra relief at the retention face for the old Bill Jordan's Rivers and off we go.

I aint pretty but I am long lasting.;)

up196

A-List Customer
My Berns Martin

Gideon Ashe said:
Well,...sure. Why not?
I'll be placing my order sometime in the next week. A little time for the work to be done (What? Twelve to twenty weeks for most custom leather work?),

I spoke with Rusty yesterday, and he said my holster should be ready in about a week. It's the Berns-Martin with a thumbbreak added that I ordered for my 3" S&W Model 65 back in August . . . of 2006!

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Time for Custom leather work

up196 said:
I spoke with Rusty yesterday, and he said my holster should be ready in about a week. It's the Berns-Martin with a thumbbreak added that I ordered for my 3" S&W Model 65 back in August . . . of 2006!

Well that amount of time waiting for customs leather work is not too unusual.
I recall waiting almost two years for one of the old Seventrees Speed scabards, back in the early '70's.

I think this "play holster" Berns-Martin for my old S&W N-frame is going to have to wait a little while anyway.
I need "Uncle Lou" Alessi to do me a strong side for my BHP(9). That is my regular go around iron and the current scabards are a little out of order.
Right tool for the right job and all of that.

3inch #65 is a nice and credible piece. I carried one for a while. Had the hammer spur taken off so that it was nice and smooth with no hump.
Had a gold bead inserted into the front sight for quick pick up, and the sear stoned to glass. An old set of Leopardwood Fuzzy Farrant's with a strong side palm swell in full checker set it off as good to go business.
I left it in favor of a semi-auto(1911 5inch Government pre-series 70) for the ease of reloads in a rather nasty world.
It (the #65) is a very nice piece. Use yours in the best of good health.
G.Ashe;)

up196

A-List Customer
3" Model 65

Gideon Ashe said:
3inch #65 is a nice and credible piece. I carried one for a while. Had the hammer spur taken off so that it was nice and smooth with no hump.

Yes it is a nice piece. I've had it a long time, it has a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers and two hammers, one standard and one bobbed as you describe, so it'll work in the Berns Martin with either installed. I traded a 3" Model 13, FBI Model, for it way back when. Probably shoulda' kept both.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
While looking through older threads and posts I came across this one. Why is it so hard to find a shoulder holster for a Charter Arms/ Charter 2000 Bulldog .44 Spcl? I'm taking a chance on a .38 rig on eBay but its been a long search for a decent shoulder rig. Do you think a holster for an S&W .38 will fit?

carebear

KY Gentleman said:
While looking through older threads and posts I came across this one. Why is it so hard to find a shoulder holster for a Charter Arms/ Charter 2000 Bulldog .44 Spcl? I'm taking a chance on a .38 rig on eBay but its been a long search for a decent shoulder rig. Do you think a holster for an S&W .38 will fit?

I assume you're looking at mass-market holsters; Bianchi, Galco and the like? That you've Googled and looked on OFAS and the gun auction sites?

The problem is that, even in their heyday, Charter's just weren't that common. It doesn't much pay for a Galco to produce 10,000 holsters for a gun with probably not that many carriers nationwide.

Ordering from a custom or semi-custom company or local guy, or getting a cheaper, not detail-boned generic to stretch fit to size, is going to be your best bet.

As far as stuffing it into a mass-market holster, the 5-shot .44 cylinder is probably going to be closer to a Smith L-frame as opposed to a K or J. The N-Frame will be just too big.

-----edited to go check-----

Actually, google "charter bulldog shoulder holster", Galco has one for the Miami Classic. There's a pile of other hits as well, including a gunsamerica classified for an older Bauer "classic looking" vertical rig. Would look nice and vintage.

Google is your friend, always try it first.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Thanks- I have searched a lot of sites to find a compatible holster.
You're right, Charter Arms or Charter 2000 isn't a popular weapon so holsters specifically for that revolver aren't usually listed.
I don't want a custom holster but I do already have an "Uncle Mike's" nylon ankle deal. I guess I'll take a chance on a S&W shoulder rig, if it dosen't fit I'll do the old "pocket carry" or use the ankle holster. Although an ankle holster seems pretty worthless if you really need something dosen't it?

carebear

Are you looking for leather? I always assume folks are looking for leather.

There's a pile of Uncle Mike's nylon belt holsters out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld