Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorpy All Stars

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Photo%20Aug%2021%2C%204%2002%2044%20PM.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
se3a5ena.jpg

January 1943. "Freight train operations on the Chicago & North Western Railroad between Chicago and Clinton, Iowa. At the end of the trip, conductor John Wolfsmith [last seen here] waits at the little railroad station for a suburban train to take him back home to Chicago. A welder who works at the rip tracks is trying to thaw out his frozen air hose." Medium-format negative by Jack Delano.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
SHORPY_8b38538a.jpg

April 1937. "U.S. post office. Shawneetown, Illinois." Medium format negative by Russell Lee

According to Wikipedia, "The village was devastated by the Ohio River flood of 1937. The village's population was moved several miles inland to New Shawneetown."

My guess this photo was taken around the time of the flood, based on the boots two of the men are wearing.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
One of these kids is Pete Seeger. His parents were traveling musicians, taking the family with them and living in their car (or in a tent beside the road). From 1921:

SHORPY_31241a.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
One of these kids is Pete Seeger. His parents were traveling musicians, taking the family with them and living in their car (or in a tent beside the road). From 1921:

The young lad being held by the lady must be Pete, he would've been 2 years old in 1921 ~ interesting photo Blackthorn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82