Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shops of interest in Hobart, Australia

LordBest

Practically Family
Do any Australian members of the Lounge know if there are any shops worth visiting in Hobart, relating to our shared interests? Mens wear, vintage clothing, antiques etc?
Apologies if this enquiry is in the wrong area.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Wow. Now that's a coincidence. I've been living in Hobart for a while, but commuting to Sydney. It looks like I'll be moving back at the end of the year.

Not sure what to recommend, but certainly will be looking once down there.

Regards,
- SteveN

LordBest

Practically Family
Having just returned from Hobart today, I thought I would post my impressions of the cities' FL clothing potential.

Thrift stores:

Vinnies, 212 Argyle street. Very large, some decent stuff. Quite a lot of womens clothing, a bit of mens. A few hats, mostly rubbish. On a return visit a vintage stetson had appeared, size 7, too small for me, but I bought it anyway after overhearing a hip young chap stating to his female companion "that would look wicked dyed black".

Lifeline, 147 Argyle street. Lots of clothing, mostly womens, some seemed vintage but I am rathe ignorant. I did pick up a decent navy pinstripe jacket, probably dating to the 70s. Possibly worth a visit if you like searching through racks of rubbish to find the odd treasure.

Memory Lane, Salamanca Art Centre. A tad hard to find. Mostly womens, some very good stuff. A particularly elegant satin dress hanging on the wall, and an overheard phone conversation revealed the lady running the shop has many pairs of pristine silk stockings from thr 40s in stock.

Antique/thrift shop in Elizabeth street. I was in a rush and did not get an address. Worth checking the antique shops in elizabeth street as there are a couple of beauties. One very opulent place had a find collection of vintage cuff links and tie bars, no clothing. Another rather less opulent had a great deal of clothing, including some 1944 Australian army trousers, jackets and greatcoats.

On the off chance anyone visits Hobart, I also recommend dining at Mured Upper Deck and Maldini's. Try the veal.

LordBest

Practically Family
I regret that I am not particularly up to date with such things, but rockabilly does seem rather popular, and there is a growing swing movement apparently but the 30s look seems a bit neglected. My experience is limited, however. There was a shop named Ultralux that supposedly had a rockabilly section, along with a second hand 30s-50s selection for swing dancers, but the first twelve feet into the shop were so awful I could not bring myself to root out the rest. The shop was located in Criterion street.

Additionally:

Kookaburra, 113 Hampden Road, Battery Point. (within walking distance of CBD and the harbour). 'Unusual antiques of all periods, Antiquarian and general books, Period clothing'. A very good antique/clothes/book shop that I stumbled upon by accident. No mens clothing that I noticed, but some (to my admittegly ignorant eye) super womens' clothing. A gorgeous pink 50's dress (in need of a clean) was the highlight.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Just a quick comment on Hobart which is truly on the ass end of the earth, and unlikely to be overrun by loungers snapping up all the good deals. ;-)

I don't have any other cities to compare to, but there seem to be plenty of 'opp shops' around here. They very widely in price. Most I found were typical thrift shops, selling for a few dollars, however there were a few 'vintage shops' selling the same clothes for $100's!

Plenty of places on Elizabeth Street and around the city. It takes quite a bit of time to search through them though. I think with a bit of getting to know some of the owners you might find some decent stuff down here.

- Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe